When creating Modal progressions, do you use the same formula for the major and minor scales to know which chords are major, minor, and diminished?

I'm referring to the Maj,min,Maj,Maj,Min,Min,Dim thing.

If so, how would you know which to start on?

Example: A Dorian: A,B,C,D,E,F#,G - which ones are maj,min,dim?
Thanks!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
You form the chords the same way, picking a note and then taking the notes a third and a fifth above it.

However, a modal progression is usually only two maybe three chord and they will involve the modal tone. For instance, in A Dorian, a common progression is Am7 D7. Why Am7 is used should be obvious, but D7 is used because D contains the modal tone, F#. The 7th is included to add dissonance, which is usually desired for this progression.

If you make your A Dorian progression too complex, it will resolve to G major and you don't want that.
I wanna say no, because you can have a Maj II chord in the key of Cmajor. that D major being the five of five(G). Secondary chords and stuff. Ill edit some more when they come to my head.

Is that what you asking?
http://www.zentao.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000393.html
Last edited by Pabli7o at Apr 13, 2008,
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1 C Ionian Cmaj Dmin Emin Fmaj Gmaj Amin Bdim
2 D Dorian Dmin Emin Fmaj Gmaj Amin Bdim Cmaj
3 E Phrygian Emin Fmaj Gmaj Amin Bdim Cmaj Dmin
4 F Lydian Fmaj Gmaj Amin Bdim Cmaj Dmin Emin
5 G Mixolydian Gmaj Amin Bdim Cmaj Dmin Emin Fmaj
6 A Aeolian Amin Bdim Cmaj Dmin Emin Fmaj Gmaj
7 B Locrian Bdim Cmaj Dmin Emin Fmaj Gmaj Amin

That pretty much answers it.

So the reason modal progressions are only 2 or 3 chords is to keep it from turning into G major then right?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
Quote by bshizzle911
So the reason modal progressions are only 2 or 3 chords is to keep it from turning into G major then right?
Well, it's to keep the progression from resolving to the natural major or minor scale (usually major). If the parent scale (the one that gets the Ionian mode) is G major, then youre statement is correct.
Quote by Pabli7o
I wanna say no, because you can have a Maj II chord in the key of Cmajor. that D major being the five of five(G). Secondary chords and stuff. Ill edit some more when they come to my head.

Is that what you asking?
http://www.zentao.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000393.html

Secondarys are secondarys, they are not altered chords like you seem to think. Just because a V/V and a IInat3 have the same notes, that does not make them the same chord. They function differently. A V/V will always travel to a V, and is quite common in key based music. A IInat3 can go anywhere, and would be rare to encounter in any key based music.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Secondarys are secondarys, they are not altered chords like you seem to think. Just because a V/V and a IInat3 have the same notes, that does not make them the same chord. They function differently. A V/V will always travel to a V, and is quite common in key based music. A IInat3 can go anywhere, and would be rare to encounter in any key based music.

V/V was just an example of how you dont always have to follow the Maj,min,Maj,Maj,Min,Min,Dim thing.

Sorry, I don't understand your notation of IInat3.
Quote by Pabli7o
V/V was just an example of how you dont always have to follow the Maj,min,Maj,Maj,Min,Min,Dim thing.

Sorry, I don't understand your notation of IInat3.

The IInat3 refers to a chord built off the second scale degree, hence the "II". However, in a major scale, this is minor, and thus, since you were talking of a major chord built off the second degree of a major scale, the third of the chord must be raised. The "nat3" means that the third of of the chord is being raised. A "II" alone would indicate a major chord, however, this major chord would be assumed to be diatonic, as it does not list any alterations, and therefore a "IInat3" should be used to indicate a major traid built off the second scale degree of the major scale.

A IInat3 chord almost ALWAYS functions as a V/V, and therefore uses different theory than diatonic triads.
Quote by isaac_bandits
The IInat3 refers to a chord built off the second scale degree, hence the "II". However, in a major scale, this is minor, and thus, since you were talking of a major chord built off the second degree of a major scale, the third of the chord must be raised. .

I cant find that nat3 thing anywhere, but Im starting to believe it's the same thing.

With "X of Y" you have to think in the key signature of Y to get the right quality of X.
My example was V of V in C major. Y=G and X=D. In G maj there is only one #(F) which happens to be the 3rd of D. There is no need to tell the player to raise the 3rd if he knows the key sig of Y (Gmai).

TS did any of those links help you?
Quote by Pabli7o
I cant find that nat3 thing anywhere, but Im starting to believe it's the same thing.

With "X of Y" you have to think in the key signature of Y to get the right quality of X.
My example was V of V in C major. Y=G and X=D. In G maj there is only one #(F) which happens to be the 3rd of D. There is no need to tell the player to raise the 3rd if he knows the key sig of Y (Gmai).

TS did any of those links help you?

Of course you don't need to say nat 3 for V/V. That is secondary dominants.

If you are using a D major chord in the key of C major, whilst not using it as the V/V, it will be functioning as a IInat3. However, it is unlikely to use it this way.
What the crap are you guys talking about? LoL but ya those links answered my question.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95

Quote by szekelymihai