I was looking to figure out how to get a teles neck pup to sound like a strat neck pup. Would putting one in solve that or are there more factors?
A strat neck pup in a tele will still sound like a tele. Theres alot more to it than just switching parts. If you want strat sound get a strat.
I wanted the same thing, so I bought a GFS Alnico Fatbody. I made the right choice.
Quote by Tackleberry
A strat neck pup in a tele will still sound like a tele. Theres alot more to it than just switching parts. If you want strat sound get a strat.

HUH???
So by your reasoning a tele neck pup in a strat will sound like a strat??
If you put gibson LP pickups in a strat it doesnt sound like a LP does it. And a tele pickup transplanted doesnt make a strat sound just like a tele. It may not sound exactly like a strat neck pickup but wont sound just like a tele either. The pickup is not the entire sound of a guitar. Also most tele neck pickups are wound backwards to cancel hum when used with neck. So it would be reverse polarity from a strat neck pickup. Or the same as the middle on a strat if its wound backwards like most are. So no hum cancel when used with the middle.
^+1 body+neck wood, hardware, and YOUR AMP all contribute to tone. seriously, if ur doin this cause u think theres somthin wrong with ur tele's sound, consider ur amp.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^no amp will make a tele sound like a strat

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^yeah no kiddin' but i mean the amp affects ur tone ALOT. like, 90% alot.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^as in making it good/better or bad/worse i'd agree, but point is that no amp will make a LP sound like a tele or vice versa (replace either with strat and you get the same)

anyway, a strat pickup in the neck will sound more like strat than like tele but wont sound as much like a strat than a strat

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^what he said! lol
yeah, there's really no way to get the sound exact.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Well if its an alder tele, and its in the neck position it should sound similar shouldnt it? I mean the biggest difference is the shape and hardware but other than that they are pretty similar.
yes, but you said it urself- different shape! theres more wood on a tele, thus different tone.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
And the electronics. If you were to put a completely strat wiring setup into a tele... it would sound a lot like a strat... but not completely.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by livrockdie
Well if its an alder tele, and its in the neck position it should sound similar shouldnt it? I mean the biggest difference is the shape and hardware but other than that they are pretty similar.

The biggest difference is the bridge. Still, you can get a very convincing strat tone with the right (neck) pickup.
I already have a strat, hence the question. I figure there are plenty of factors, but I've been hearing that GFS helps you out a great deal. I'm aware that I'm not gonna get the exact tone, too many factors. I just want a close enough tone that people double take. Well at least the gear junkies.

Also, how do you like your Lite Ash Tele Hankey?
Last edited by Jahsoul at Apr 13, 2008,