Well, A while ago I started a thread in the electric guitar forum about what to buy with a large source of money.

My band and I are now working on a studio.

We've got a large, decorated, stocked sound proof room, Akg Perception 300's for overheads and vocals, etc.

But how would one go about getting the word out.

What does UG think is a reasonable price.

We're planning on starting at 40 dollars for mastered acoustic songs, and 60 dollars for anything else. Ten less for any unmastered tracks.

(Yes we do all have experience in numerous studios on our own, as part time jobs mostly, as well as recording, we're not just fooling around with some expensive mics and hoping to make money out of it. )

Pictures available on request before someone says pics or it didnt happen.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
I want pics.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Myspace is pretty good to contact local bands.

Pics of your studio please!
Where im from (Sydney) we have a weekly music newspaper called "the drum media". It has everything from gear advertisements and album reviews to band vacancies. Im sure what your offering would prosper with advertising like that, and majority of the time its free. Check to see if they have something similar in your area and if so put in an ad.
local music mags, myspace and word of mouth are your best bets, Most places here charge 10-30 dollars/hr (don't charge by the song, charge by the hour) depending on the studio and how many of their staff the band needs.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Here's the gearlist.
We’re always in the process of acquiring new gear, but as of early april, we’ve got.

A Ux8 8 Track Simultaneous input recorder.
Reaper, Audacity, and Protools recording software.
Autotune.
Numerous digital effects.
AKG perception Large diaphragm condensers.
MXL large and small diaphragm condensers.
Sure 57, 58 and Beta 52’s for Drumsets and guitar amps.

Guitars.
Hot Rodded Schecter C1+
Schecter Hellraiser C7
Hot Rodded Schecter Syn Custom.
Epiphone Black Beauty.
1984 Epiphone strat copy.
Fender Mexi Strat.
Fender American strat.
Dean Razorback.
Ibanez EW Limited edition. (Quilted Ash).
Cordoba custom 1.
Yamaha 12 string.
Sonata Six string (Sounds very lo fi, indie pop)
A ukulele.
Ovation celebrity deluxe.

Amps
B52 At1x12 (tube)
Peavey Valveking halfstack with a B52 4x12 (Tube)
New Oldstock Fender Blues Junior. (Tube)
Fender G-dec and Roland Microcube warm up amps.
Behringer GMX2x10
Fender Champion 1x10
Soon arriving, Blackheart little giant Recording amp (Tube)
Framus Dragon w/ Avatar 4x12 (Tube)

Basses
Musicman 4 string.
Rogue custom 6 string w/ active pickups.
Warwick fourstring.
Complete Custom 4 string Jazz bass.

Bass amps.
Gallien Kruger Head and matching 1x15
Peavey Basic1x12
Raven Warmup amp.

Drumset
We’ve got a top of the Line PDP, that can be re-headed at your request.
3 toms, one bass, the usual.
A matching Snare, and a Metal snare.
Other Drum gear, (Pearl Export, Joey Jordinson snare, Cowbells, Tamborines, etc. Available upon request).
You’re welcome to bring your own drumset, but we recommend a ported bass drum, properly tuned up, with plastic headed beaters.

Others
We’ve got friends in all the right places. From a 30 year veteran of the piano and all forms of keyboard and organ, to internationaly acclaimed instrumentalists, to state recognized vocalists. We can provide a full choir if needed, screamers, and the talents of our own Mr Fontanot, and Mrs Snow.

We can do basic repair on the premisis, as well as set ups, tuning, tweaking, and all sorts of things that optimize the recording proccess.

We realize that we’ve all got beloved favorite guitars, amps, drums, basses, etc. But sometimes we can make suggestions here in the studio that just make the proccess a run smoother, and only serve to better the quality of the final product. So we may suggest the use of some of our equipment, simply because we know how to get all the best sounds out of it, and we mean no offense to your lucky instrument.

If there’re ever any questions about gear, we’re eager to help out.

Mixer
(Invalid img)

Some random supplies, and my lucky confucius statue.

Part of our drumset (Needs to be reheaded)

Angle of the control room.

The amps, Minus a framus, blackheart, and gallien krueger.

All the guitars we've got listed under the gear are our own personal guitars, so we're all a bit nervous about letting random guitarists play them, but risk of the trade I guess?

There's a walk in attic that we've filled with even more acoustic foam and packing blankets that sounds incredible for close miked amps, or alternately, a large 30 foot ceiling call, with hardwood floor and trim, and no furniture that we use for more live sounds.

If it goes well enough here, we plan on renting a location for the next year, and upping the prices.

I do see the value in charging by the hour, but most of the busiest local places around here charge by the song. But given most bands propensity to not play well at all, I guess charging by the hour could be just as profitable. Hehe. Never any reason not to expand our gear collection.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x

Last edited by Zach_F at Apr 13, 2008,
That looks pretty awesome. Your best bet would be fliers at your local music store.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Wow, damn thats, like ,my dream. I think you should work /perhour instead of /persong. But it looks pretty neat, I like the carpet. Out of interest how much did the recording gear cost you altogether. And how did you come to get this 'room'.

Also, all the local studios I know, what they do is, just add every band in the area to their myspace friends. And it works really well. Just make sure your name has studio or something in it.

EDIT: Ah, i read the entire post now. And see that you have sorted the /perhour issue.
Last edited by Hastee at Apr 13, 2008,
Quote by shut_up_n00b
That looks pretty awesome. Your best bet would be fliers at your local music store.

Well thank you muchly.

Thats pretty much comes down to guitar center for me, but they'd best let me hand out fliers, because we bought all that directly from them.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

The mixers, software, and actually recording console itself cost around 1100 altogether, with a 25% discount at the store.

The mics.
2 akg perceptions at 280 each.
3 sure 57's at 100 each.
1 Sure 58 at 100 dollars.
The beta 52 at 150 dollars.
The mxl condenser at 110 (I think)
And the small diaphragm condenser at 70.

So 1280. But they were purchased over longer periods of time, and again the prices are probobaly slightly off, because I was only there for the purchase of the sure mics.

The outboard gear (Compressers, etc.) Was fairly cheap, at around 200, we're picking it up tommorow.

Monitering speakers were another 250$

2 pair of studio headphones at 70 dollars a pair.

So it was a pretty sizeable investment, but it was split five ways, discounted, and purchased over time, so it didnt hurt to badly. We each put something like 50-70 dollars a week in for a few month's, and it ended up pretty well.

We got all the furniture for free, and made/make any sort of makeable fixtures ourselves.

The mic cabinets, hangers, chairs, mini table, and desks were either made by us, or acquired from family members, so that saved us alot.

Tomorrow we're building a modular isolation cabinet out of packing blankets and studio foam.

The room itself was contracted out to a construction company. But to be honest, its nothing someone with a good knowledge of construction couldnt do themselves. It was an unfinished room when we started the project, so we put 2 inch and a half layers of some studio quality noise reduction foam, then put a layer of drywall. After that, left another 2 inch's, and put another layer wall, to allow as much space to absorb the noise as possible.
The roof is asymetrically shaped, to prevent phase issues, and the room is something like 21.somethihng x 26.something, for the same reasons.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Looks great. Not sure about the computers/mixing in the same room as recording though.

And for the drums, I definately recommend you change the stock heads. Maybe Remo Pinstripes for toms and a Powerstroke 3 on bass? And the cymbals too, Zildjian Zxt's are lowend and pretty bad IMO. You should talk to your drummer about that. I assume most drummers would prefer to drag in their own gear though.

You should also ask on the forums at tweakheadz.com. Read up on the guides there too, most probably one of the best sites for information on everything recording.

Good luck
yeah, you really should have a control room for mixing, and a vocal booth.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Note to TS, i want your studio
you should be charging a lot more than 40 per song, at least 30 an hour man

EDIT: you should get a Fender Twin Reverb as well, it'll serve all clean purposes beautifully for recordings
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Last edited by druz15_UG at Apr 13, 2008,
Don't charge by the song, charge by the hour. It might take one band ten weeks to get a song done, it might take another 10 minutes.

Drop flyers at local rock clubs, business cards, and put adverts up in music shops advertising rates, equipment and location.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>