I've been trying to unsolder a wire from my strat's 5 way for a few minutes now, and I haven't seemed to make a mark. Its a big blob on the side of the 5 way that goes to the tone control. From 15 minutes of solder, its only gotten a black mark on it. I've unsoldered all the rest of the wires though... . Any help? What am I doing wrong?
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Sounds like the iron you are using is either very low power, or dirty. Make sure the tip of the iron is clean and has fresh solder. If you still can't melt it, you might need more power.
its probably too big of a blob for your soldering temp. Solder radiates heat very quickly. If you're iron is adjustable, crank it all the way up or use a bigger tip. Otherwise you'll have to cut away what you can and try again.

Tips:
- Let the iron sit and heat up as much as possible... sometimes i give it a boost with a lighter (1500º at the top of a flame).

- add some clean solder to the edge and see if that will start melting what it touches - be ready to pick up the melted solder with a wick or a desoldering tool (solder sucker)
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR
I'm using that coldheat solderig iron... It doesn't really get cold right after you use it btw. only if you solder something for like 5 seconds...
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Quote by Grimpenguin
I'm using that coldheat solderig iron... It doesn't really get cold right after you use it btw. only if you solder something for like 5 seconds...

yeah those dont work well for anything bigger than the first solder spot on a wire or circuit. I suggest picking up a decent adjustable iron. it will save you a lot of time in the long run. Keep that coldsolder one around though - they're cordless and rather fast at doing things like wiring back up the switch or the pots terminals
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR
do they have diferrent tips for that iron? because I know that you can remove the tip on that. Maybe I could get an adjustable tip for it....

ah well, now i gotta get my dad to get another solderig iron..... hes gonna be pissed.
---▲===
Pink Floyd
That's a bummer, man. We tried the coldheat and hated it. You're better off with a cheap 25+ watt soldering iron from Ebay or an electronics store.
ok so I found an old iron in our shed that did the job fine, but now my cat stole one of my spst switches that I needed and decided to hide it somewhere. Now I'm looking for that....
---▲===
Pink Floyd
nah I won't. I'm really careful with that. I just need to find that switch and then I'll be started on wiring my strat with 3 on/off switches for the pickups.

stupid cat.
---▲===
Pink Floyd
You need my soldering iron. That thing is a beast. The tip will glow red if you hold the trigger down longer than 10 seconds.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.