i will be buying a new head.

i'm still torn on what to get.

right now i'm looking at either the JCM2000 100w, or maybe a Mesa Dual Rect.

i need explosions in the sky/minus the bear-ish cleans, but i also need to have a great distorted warm sound.

www.myspace.com/fightinghaysi

my budget is around $1500
Quote by Hadeed
go no higher than 50watts... 100watts is just plain stupid

will that make a difference in the tone?
if your looking at a DSL def checkout a thunderverb 50

50w wont be noticibly quieter than the 100w. and you will still have ALL the clean headroom you need
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
some people claim it will, but its seriously just used as too extend their wangs.

logically, if your needing a 100watt amp, you're gonna need to mic up the band... which means your amp too.

i say buy a 50watt max tube amp that has kickass cleans, use a pedal to get distortion/overdrive/fuzz effects, and you'll be set.
Quote by Hadeed
some people claim it will, but its seriously just used as too extend their wangs.

logically, if your needing a 100watt amp, you're gonna need to mic up the band... which means your amp too.

i say buy a 50watt max tube amp that has kickass cleans, use a pedal to get distortion/overdrive/fuzz effects, and you'll be set.

i was hoping not to have to buy any overdrive pedals, and just let the amp do it all

i already have to spend a lot of cash on other pedals i need
Quote by Peytonnn
i was hoping not to have to buy any overdrive pedals, and just let the amp do it all

i already have to spend a lot of cash on other pedals i need

Then get a Laney. Their built in distortion is kickass. No need for pedals. I myself am against pedals, as it colours the tone in ways I don't want it to. An EMG afterburner for playing at lower levels is fine though, didn't really color my tone.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
the money you would have saved going from 100W to a 30W or 50W amp can go towards buying a boss DS-2... they're cheap as chips.

i say look into fender for clean amps
Quote by Hadeed
the money you would have saved going from 100W to a 30W or 50W amp can go towards buying a boss DS-2... they're cheap as chips.

i say look into fender for clean amps

well
we dont play clean all the time, and i prefer over-drive pedals to distortion pedals.

i thought the jcm2000 would be a good "middle-ground" between the parts where we play clean for a while to the parts where we play prettttty heavy stuff.

i like the fender 65 reverbs or the twin reverbs, but i really need a good solid distorted sound.

i'm not sure if you've heard BTBAM's new cd "Colors" but it has influenced us greatly and sometimes we will be in the middle of some ambient verse and then just go into a blue-grass interlude. we cover all sorts of genres so i need something that can do it all.
a lot of people have recommended i get the jcm2000 because it's versatile.

the pedals i'm looking to get are probably the DL-4, a tremelo pedal probably, Wah, and i need a good eq. (recommendations on that would be nice too)
Go for DSL50 or Orange Rockerverb. Both Great Amps.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
Quote by omghi2u
Go for DSL50 or Orange Rockerverb. Both Great Amps.

i played through the orange RV30 i believe.
the clean was great, but the distortion was way too crunchy
What is explosions in the sky? What kind of music are you looking to play? Do you mean you want a smooth overdrive?
Fender Strat
Quote by omghi2u
What is explosions in the sky? What kind of music are you looking to play? Do you mean you want a smooth overdrive?

they are a band.

and they have really really good clean sounds
but they never play anything super distorted.
i think they use the 65 twin reverb, and an 85 Fender Showman

and refer to a post i made a while ago about the music we play.
Suhr Badger is what I would recommend cuz' it's my dream amp right now. Doesn't have br00tal gain but very sufficient and the clean channel is the best clean I've ever heard. It's only 18 watts though but plenty loud.

You did mention you want at least 50 watts so you can also look into Mesa's discontinued Tremoverb (100 watts). Most people who own it swear by it over the regular dual rec cuz' it's cleans are rumored to be better. JCM2000 DSL50 is not a bad choice either and I would've gotten either but I play mostly clean + light overdrive so my Genz Benz is pretty good for me right now.

$1500 is a pretty nice budget and there are about 100 great amps you could buy. Don't give up and never settle for anything that you know you will regret.
Fender Strat
Quote by Peytonnn
will that make a difference in the tone?

Apart from the amp starting to distort earlier no it wouldn't make a difference.
DSL user chiming in.

I have the dsl100, which is heaven! Got min 50% off :P
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
How about an egnater tourmaster any one ever think about that?
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
a JCM900 sounds good for you too, the cleans are awesome, it can do Metal, blues, classic rock, country, it`ll do whatever you want, throw a hot o/d infront of it and it`ll really get alot of gain.
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
How about an egnater tourmaster any one ever think about that?

I think everyone is waiting for someone to buy it first and then review it (w/clips) cuz' the price for it sounds too good to be true.

Maybe you can be that brave soul.
Fender Strat