Hey question how do you get better solos from the pentatonic not speed i know all the techniques and i improvise alot but my soloing hasnt improved in the last couple of months and i dont know how to get better at just making pentatonic solos sound better. any help would be appreciated
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Learn more scales than the pentatonic... if you really want to solo you should learn all the different modes so you can use the entire neck instead of just one small section.
ya sorry i forgot to ad i know the pentatonic all across the fretboard and im not too stoked on trying new scales when i dont have the simplest one down
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
Quote by Bobsam3
ya sorry i forgot to ad i know the pentatonic all across the fretboard and im not too stoked on trying new scales when i dont have the simplest one down

well solos dont start sounding that great until you combine the pentatonic with different scales...using one scale for an entire solo usually wont give you the best results... but if your fixed on just the pentatonic then just practice, try playing solos along with songs that your listening to and jamming with it more often.
You can write amazing solos using just the pentatonic scale...the secret to great soloing is the ability to choose the right note at the right time, it doesn't matter which scale you use.

TS, you need to spend some time training your ears and also improving your theory knowledge. Study the notes(not frets, or finger positions...notes) of the scale and see which ones fit with the chords you're using, and actually listen to what you're playing and hear the effect different scale degrees will have on a chord with regards to reinforcement and de-stabilising.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 13, 2008,
ok ya my main problem is im trying to solo over this

2---2------------------------2-2-2----5-5
0---0---6p3 0-5-3---------0-0-0---3-3

and i find it very hard to follow the chords and i end up playing random notes could you guys give me like a quick example of what to do when soloing over this riff
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
Bsically you're in E minor there so you can happily stick to the E minor pentatonic scale and just experiment.

There's only two chords so just listen to how the change in chord affects the notes of the scale. You'll be able to hear which notes sound more "right" over which chord - the notes of the scale that are also found in the backing chord will always sound stronger...that quality is called "resolution". If you know the right notes you can also make effective use of the "wrong" notes , the ones that sound a bit jarring or even dissonant, and that's what makes for interesting playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 13, 2008,
Before you start soloing ,just wait and listen to music and most of all feel it and remind what this song is about and the mood , if something comes in your mind , try to play that and improve that and I think I should take my advise 'cause I didn't do like that
but sometimes when something comes in my mind , I try to play that
Recommend me any good post-hardcore band