Ok, this one should be easy. I'm interested in Blues and Classic Rock (but much more heavily focussed on the Blues). I know that the Bad Monkey gets good reviews for being a cheap pedal, and so does the TS808. I also know that the Tube Screamer is famous thanks largely to the legendary Stevie Ray Vaughan.

So, here's a few questions.

1. Why is the TS808 more expensive? What makes it better?

2. Do OD pedals have voicings in a way similar to amps? I mean, is one more 'voiced' for metal, or 'voiced' for Blues, that sort of thing.

3. Similar to (2)... Is one of those (or any other) OD pedals going to be better suited/give me a better sound for blues?

I haven't quite decided yet, but I think the pedal will be paired with an Epiphone Valve Junior (or at least, a similar sounding, small, tube amp).
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
VJ is awsome. TS808 is tehpwnage for SRVs sound
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
if you get a TS then it will sound a bit dark through the VJ since the VJ is a bit dark sounding. look into the MI audio blue boy deluxe. i play that through my VJ and the brightness control on the pedal really brightens up the amp/tone.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
A brightness control eh? Sounds interesting. But (and I'm not sure) wouldn't an EQ pedal do that for me? I'm looking at getting a Fish & Chips.

Also, the Bad Monkey has a "High" knob.... would that be the same thing?
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
the TS808 gives a big mid-boost.. i don't like that when playin blues, try going for a more transparent pedal. OCD? you can even try some kind of a boost, i like the FET based boosters, they respond well to your vol knob, give that cool sparkle, and should drive your VJ in some natural OD.
the catalinbread silverkiss is great for blues. i cant comment on the ocd cause i havent played it but i think the silverkiss is probably lower gain and more transparent.
for srv, you cant beat the ts808

i play a crate solidstate xt15r (15w) and i can get great "little wing" type tone out of it
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Thanks for the help, but I still don't really have an answer to the first couple of questions. Why is the Tube Screamer more expensive and do OD pedals have voicings?
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
I'll try and answer one of your questions. Yes different OD/Distortion pedals are 'voiced' differently, just like an amps dirty/gain channel. Some amps have an overdrive channel that doesn't provide much gain or crunch (some Fenders for example) and other amps can crank out solid heavy metal crunch (Mesa's for example). Pedals are the same. You can get "heavy metal" distortion pedals and basic overdrive pedals and everything in between.

Does this help at all?
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Yes, thanks... so there are pedals that would be more suited towards Blues than others. I see...

So where does the Bad Monkey fit into this. I know the Tube Screamer is Bluesy (how much, I am unsure), but what about the BM?
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
seriously though, personally, the TS or BM isnt going to sound very good through the vj. it doesnt sound as bluesy as youd want. trust me on this one and look into the blueboy deluxe. its only like 40 bucks more.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Have you looked at the Fender Blues Junior? To be honest an OD pedal is best used as a boost on a cranked up tube amp. Doing this will probably deliver a better blues tone.
TC Electronics G Major
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

I love the Bad Monkey through my vox ad50vt. Its just was I was looking for. A very transparent pedal that adds some extra drive to the Fender model I use only. I think if you tweak it just right, it can get a good blues tone
if I'm not mistaken, the Bad Monkey is somewhat of a cheaper TS clone, it is voiced in a similiar way. but as someone said, the Bad Monkey has controls for low and high frequencies, making it a bit easier to tweak.

if you are able, you should take a trip down to your local music store and give them a go. if you can't, there's always youtube
Alright... I have previously looked at the Blues Junior, and it was going to be my first choice, but cranking one of those babies is going to cause some major problems (its going to be a bedroom amp). If you are suggesting getting the Blues Junior to use the clean headroom, then maybe it is worth considering. In fact, let's make that a new question.

Is getting the Blues Junior (or another higher wattage amp) better because of its greater clean range, which can then be Overdriven? Or is it just better to get the VJ?

I appreciate your comments, although I'm a little confused about the "not going to help your VJ" comments. Can you elaborate? What's wrong with that setup?

And finally, I will be making a trip to the store soon, so I'll get to have a look. And I've used youtube, although the quality of the sound is crap in most cases. If anyone has links to sound clips (for anything relating to the mentioned pedals or amps), that would be greatly appreciated as well.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by syk3d
Is getting the Blues Junior (or another higher wattage amp) better because of its greater clean range, which can then be Overdriven? Or is it just better to get the VJ?

Here's an example of a Blues Junior at a lower volume being overdriven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E96nh05ckCo

Is that the sound you are after?
TC Electronics G Major
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Both can achieve a tone that I would want, but turning up the volume (not really sure how loud a VJ can get) isn't practical. I just can't be doing it in my small house. So that's why I wanted to get an OD, so I can play reasonably quietly but still play with crunch. And I'm not sure if having an amp with a greater clean range would be better than having a small, low wattage amp like the VJ.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.