I've been recording with nothing but a really old beaten up computer mic going straight into a Dell laptop (with no fancy add ons or anything... just a regular laptop) and using Audacity and Nero (for editing and mixing).
I don't want to buy any pro recording equipment or sound cards, I just want to get a really good quality computer mic that will do well for what I do...

Budget? My shure SM57 + Shure XLR to 1/8" mic adapter was $110.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
I'd be willing to pay up to about $200 maybe... depends.
I use my old-school computer mic because the sound actually gets through with it. I've tried putting a Shure SM58 with adapter into the computer mic socket and recording and hardly any sound actually gets through (it's really quiet and you have to amplify it heaps)
Quote by loop-de-luke
I'd be willing to pay up to about $200 maybe... depends.
I use my old-school computer mic because the sound actually gets through with it. I've tried putting a Shure SM58 with adapter into the computer mic socket and recording and hardly any sound actually gets through (it's really quiet and you have to amplify it heaps)

Sounds like you just need a good soundcard. I use Audigy2 ZS. You can look into some of those M-audio soundcards though. Or alternately, get a mic preamp.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12