okay
let me start off by saying, everyone in my band knows absolutely nothing about bass (not even our bass player)
he has a terrible bass amp that gives horrendous sounds.
we desperately need help.
so.

i know you get this question a million times a day.
but what is a solid bass head to get?
we just need a big full round low end.

we kind of have a circa survive/minus the bear kind of sound.

any recommendations would be nice.
thank you.
So do you need just a head, head and cabinet/combo. Also, how big are the shows you guys are playing?

If you are willing to buy used, you could get a used SVT and cabinet to go with it for around 1200 if you got some good deals. Ampeg, however, may not be your bassist's thing, so go try out some amps.

Ashdown is in the same vein as Ampeg, just with a different voicing. Look at them.

If you want a very transparent (meaning versatile) amp, look at GK and Carvin. If you want epic wattages, Carvin is probably the only way to go. You could get a FULL stack for around 1200.

Look at some not so big companies, such as SWR and Genz Benz. I played a Benz yesterday in GC and was pretty impressed with it.

However, depending on how big your venues are, the rigs may be too big. If you only need around 400 watts, you could a)get a combo, and spend the rest on toys or b) get an Eden combo or something like that, if the tone is for you.

There is some food for thought for you.
a rig can never be too big.

that being said. it doesnt sound like you guys are playing shows too often, so get a solid practical practice amp. you can always rent for shows.

it is my oppinion that the gk mb150E is hte best practice amp out there.

but if a rig is what you want, carvin best fits your budget.
Quote by SocKo?
a rig can never be too big.

that being said. it doesnt sound like you guys are playing shows too often, so get a solid practical practice amp. you can always rent for shows.

it is my oppinion that the gk mb150E is hte best practice amp out there.

but if a rig is what you want, carvin best fits your budget.

we are about to start playing a lottttt of shows

atleast 80 people per show.

we need something professional sounding
You have a decent budget. All you can do is go out and try as much as you can. In the lower price ranges, there are definate no-nos, and often only a few real contenders.

You have the money to get the tone you want. Get the bassist to go out and try some setups and let him pick the one he likes most. A prime example is Ampeg. Some absoluteyl adore their tube tone. Others hate it, and prefer the clarity and flexability of solid state. Simply a matter of opion.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
80 people per show? You'd do fine with a nice combo amp.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
80 people per show? You'd do fine with a nice combo amp.

thats the least amount of people we will probably ever play to
You shouldn't dismiss combo's so easily.

I've learnt this when I played and then bought a Kustom 310C o.o .
Ooh, you're so close to the Fender Bassman 300. It shakes rooms at 2- and it goes up to 10. 300 watts of all tube power! <3

You could easily get a nice Carvin head and stack, if he wants a stack. I'd say go with a nice combo- they're cheaper, and do just as well. Lots of people get a stack just to have a stack, when even a 2x10 or 2x12 combo will do fine, if not better.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Ashdown MAG C410T would probably do the trick
Ibanez SR505
Yamaha RBX 270
Epiphone G400
Ashdown MAG C410T
VOX AD100VT
Digitech BP200
What kinda tone does he like? Lots of rock bands use the Ampeg SVT, maybe he should try an SVT out some time. Don't buy anything until he tries it!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410