Hello, it is my first post in this forum. But let's get to the case. I have Vintage V100 LP guitar and Spider III 15W amp. It's bad amp and it's 'broomin' I can stick only with wattage up to 15W So I thought bout Fender G-DEC, it has many functions and can give various range of sound. Or I thought about small valve amplifier, such as: Epiphone Valve Standard, Fender Super Champ XD, Laney LC15 and effect to it, BOSS for example. Thanks for any advice.
Don't get the GDEC because it won't sound much better than the spider. A valve JUNIOR would be a better pick than the Standard because the standard has some bad on board effects, the money you save could be used to buy some better stompboxes. An LC15 is also a good choice.

What sound do you want?
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Thanks for reply. I suppose that quality of effects from G-DEC will be not good, so much effects for good price must focus on its quality. Price of this Laney of quite attractive. The sound which I want is sound of heavy metal, thrash metal eventually and also rock.
I think that is what I will do to be honest, it is cheaper and I can spend money for overdrive then.
Yeah the laney is best for hard rock and with an OD it will suit you
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
I think it will, what pedal whould be good ? Maybe a pedal with in-built valve ?
everyone will tell you either a tube screamer or a bad monkey, however look into "black star" od pedals, theyre tube driven od pedals
Hmm... I heard about that BlackStars previously, they not cheap, around 100 GBP but I suppose they are worth.
yeh well, they are rather expensive........

you should just try out a few different od's when you try out the laney, see what matches well with the sound of the amp, and what achieves a nice metal dist.
Quote by MrMateuszW
I can stick only with wattage up to 15W

Is there a volume issue? Keep in mind that a 5W valve amp will sound as loud or louder than a 15W Spider. A 15W valve amp is powerful enough for small gigs.

Quote by MrMateuszW
The sound which I want is sound of heavy metal, thrash metal eventually and also rock.

For metal at low volumes, you might be better off sticking with SS. Maybe a Roland Cube? It would be an upgrade over the Spider.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
What's the SS ? I heard also good opinions about Vox amplifiers. Well 15W on Spider is enough loud, so that's why I don't want to go for higher wattage
SS = Solid State

The Vox AD15 is a SS/hybrid amp. It has a valve in the power amp section to add some warmth. The jury's still out on how good a job they do. If you feel the Spider's loud enough, you don't need a valve amp bigger than 5W. You might want to check out the Ibanez Valbee if you can find one. It's supposed to be a pretty high gain little valve amp. Could be ideal for you.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I understand now what SS is. But how it works in practice. For example there is opinion about Marshalls AVT that they don't have anything common with valve sound. Maybe Vox is different.
All hybrids are different. There's a new Spider with an all tube power section. If it wasn't a Spider, it might be pretty good (that's a shot, I haven't played it ), but there's some old Musicman amps made with a SS preamp and tube power amp that sound pretty damn good. I believe the ATV puts it's tube in the pre-amp section, which is common. The Vox puts a pre-amp tube in the power section, with the idea that it flavors the tone more from there.

It really comes down to what sounds best to you. With Marshall, it's MHO that you're paying for the name rather than actual quality with their lower end (ATV, MG) stuff. The Vox's are pretty good, but many people prefer the tubeless Roland Cubes over them. Peavey has it's Transtube series of amps that are also pretty nice sounding for an inexpensive hybrid. You might like their Rage 258.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I don't intend to buy any Marshall, especially from MG or AVT, maybe TSL 100 someday he he. I will check out those little hybrids. Vox seems to be quite ok. First time I hear in Transtube. Oh well, I hope they will have at least some of these amps in Sheffield. What about Peavey VK Royal 8 ? There are many bad opinions about this VK series.
I haven't played the Royal 8. I wouldn't expect it to be a metal amp, either, but a decent classic rock amp. The unique thing about the little VK is the headphone jack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I don't play on earphones, it's crap sound :/ But I suppose that VK 8 would be metal amp with extra overdrive.
Quote by MrMateuszW
I don't play on earphones, it's crap sound :/ But I suppose that VK 8 would be metal amp with extra overdrive.

It's not if you use good ones.
Quote by slatsmania
For metal at low volumes, you might be better off sticking with SS. Maybe a Roland Cube? It would be an upgrade over the Spider.

+1

you'd need to try the cube next to the spider to see if it's sufficiently better to justify its expense. if not, just stick with the spider, at low volumes it's not too bad (for a cheap modeller).

Quote by slatsmania
I haven't played the Royal 8. I wouldn't expect it to be a metal amp, either, but a decent classic rock amp. The unique thing about the little VK is the headphone jack.

you're right, the vk royal 8 isn't metal at all. just because it has a gain control which the other 5-watt tube amps don't have, some people think it's instant br00talz, but it's not, you still have to crank it to get the most overdriven tone, and even then you're talking classic rock overdrive at the most, i'd say.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Of course, if valve amp then I wil buy stomp box, would be Ibanez Tube Screamer ok ?
i dunno. i'm extremely wary of the current zeitgeist that a booster pedal can make any amp metal. I'm not sure it can, especially something as vintage-sounding as a royal 8. you might be disappointed, in other words...

that ibanez valbee which slats mentioned might be worth a look. I haven't tried it, unfortunately, but it is billed as being "high gain".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I heard many good opinion about Roland Cube, it has COSM simulating model ? I think 20X model would be fine... eventually
get the vox ad15vt, its the valvetronix line like slats suggested, i have the 30 watt version and its great! really easy to dial tones in i like, and a wide variety.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by MrMateuszW
I would look more for AD15VT-XL which is dedicated for modern rock

It's actually dedicated for metal, and I've heard that it's terrible compared to the normal Valvetronix.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
well, i'm late to the game here as i didn't have a chance to respond yesterday but you obviously don't want the GDEC. From what i have heard, i would also stay clear of the Transtube and the Valvetronix XL series (no flame required) as Fama just said.

the Valveking might work for you if you can find one used.

good luck and maybe i need to reread all of the responses.

;
Quote by MrMateuszW
I heard many good opinion about Roland Cube, it has COSM simulating model ? I think 20X model would be fine... eventually

i think the 30x has more amp models, i'd go for that one if you can stretch to it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I like the Fender Super Champ xD alot for a practice amp. You might be better off with a Peavey transtube and a metal muff if you just want the metal sound for a low price and low volume.

this one is very, very good as far as real hybrids go, unlike the masrshall AVT and vox Valvetronix it uses tubes in both the power section and preamp section, the most important part of this fender model and its counterparts is that it uses a power amp tube witch is very noticable when your playing it it definately give you tube sound.
Plus its got diffrent voicings wich is like modeling, 16 diffrent voicings in all, it can di anything from blues to metal and everything in between and plus it sounds really awesome thanks to that power tube.
Quote by the-kidR44
this one is very, very good as far as real hybrids go, unlike the masrshall AVT and vox Valvetronix it uses tubes in both the power section and preamp section, the most important part of this fender model and its counterparts is that it uses a power amp tube witch is very noticable when your playing it it definately give you tube sound.
Plus its got diffrent voicings wich is like modeling, 16 diffrent voicings in all, it can di anything from blues to metal and everything in between and plus it sounds really awesome thanks to that power tube.

The clean channel is also all tube so it is just like a Fender clean.
I dont think the voicing part is all tube but it still uses the power tube section when its in the voicing channel
I think I will have to stick with SS amp because to get a proper sound you need to turn up volume and I can't do it really I will have to stick with SS amp Yes, Roland Cube 30X has more symulations, this amp doesn't look decent but that is not most important criteria
the cube 30's pretty nice for the money, actually. a lot of people (of a more metal persuasion) with more expensive amps use them as practice amps for when they can only play at extremely low volume.
I'm not sure I agree that you have to turn valve amps up to sound really good, but they're right, they generally sound better the louder they get. you'd need to try them at your usual volume to see if they sound good enough for you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?