i am buying an engl Fireball next week .So i am asking. what are the methods of recording a tube amp except putting a mic in front of the cabinet?
Gear:

ESP LTD MH-400
Samick Malibu
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12 (V30's)
Line 6 Spider II

Pedals:
Behringer Acoustic modeler,
Jam NS-wah (handmade wah)
EHX LPB-1
Mxr Phase 90

mics: Shure Sm57
You could get a Direct Input-box that would give the head a dummy load (so the head won't get fried). At the same time it attenuates the signal so that you can record it direct. But it might not sound as good as the real deal.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
You could get a Direct Input-box that would give the head a dummy load (so the head won't get fried). At the same time it attenuates the signal so that you can record it direct. But it might not sound as good as the real deal.

do you mean something loke this?

http://www.palmergear.com/pdi09.shtml
Gear:

ESP LTD MH-400
Samick Malibu
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12 (V30's)
Line 6 Spider II

Pedals:
EHX LPB-1
Mxr Phase 90

Something like that I think, yes. I don't have much experience with stuff like that tho.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
nothing will beat the sound of a few mics in the room
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Quote by groll01
nothing will beat the sound of a few mics in the room

yeah i know but if i want to to record something late at night i wont be able to put my sm57 so i want to have more solutions
Gear:

ESP LTD MH-400
Samick Malibu
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12 (V30's)
Line 6 Spider II

Pedals:
EHX LPB-1
Mxr Phase 90

Last edited by Metalhead765 at Apr 13, 2008,
The head may have a pre-amp out, or a recording out, on it. Gives you a nice line level output, that can go straight into your mixer or interface. The Screamer 50 combo has one, so i'd guess the fireball will as well.
Quote by Mad_BOB
The head may have a pre-amp out, or a recording out, on it. Gives you a nice line level output, that can go straight into your mixer or interface. The Screamer 50 combo has one, so i'd guess the fireball will as well.

it has a power amp out and i think it's only for the connection with the cabinets.
Gear:

ESP LTD MH-400
Samick Malibu
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12 (V30's)
Line 6 Spider II

Pedals:
EHX LPB-1
Mxr Phase 90

Effects loop send (Set to paralel) -> should to the trick. However you wont get the sound from the speaker as it bypasses the poweramp and it doesnt cut the speaker out either.
for the palmer solution for example this :

http://www.thomann.de/gr/palmer_pdi09.htm

how should i connect it?
Gear:

ESP LTD MH-400
Samick Malibu
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12 (V30's)
Line 6 Spider II

Pedals:
EHX LPB-1
Mxr Phase 90

Amp speaker out into DI input, DI thru to speakers, DI bal. out to wherever you want your line signal to go.
Quote by whoismilan
Amp speaker out into DI input, DI thru to speakers, DI bal. out to wherever you want your line signal to go.

i thought i could use this to record directly from my amp through my usb audio interface.can i do this? is there any difference if i put the cord into the 8 ohm or 16 ohm speaker output
Gear:

ESP LTD MH-400
Samick Malibu
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12 (V30's)
Line 6 Spider II

Pedals:
EHX LPB-1
Mxr Phase 90

my distortion pedal has an emulated out but it doesnt sound that good.. i dont know if its a bad emulated out or emulated output just isnt good.

i tried plugging my guitar directly into my comp... it was distorted for some reason...
Quote by Metalhead765
i thought i could use this to record directly from my amp through my usb audio interface.can i do this? is there any difference if i put the cord into the 8 ohm or 16 ohm speaker output

the PDI09 still needs a load, so you would either need a speaker cab connected, or a dummy load. Speaker out -> Palmer -> Speaker cab. There is an additional XLR line out from the palmer that you connect to whatever recording interface you are using. If your USB audio interface has a balanced line in, yes it will work. You NEED a speaker load or dummy load connected however. What tap you use, ie 8ohm or 16ohm, will still depend on what your speaker or dummy load is.

The advantage of the Palmer compared to a regular line out/preamp out from an amp, is it picks up the signal after the poweramp, so you get all the coloration and sound the poweramp adds.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids