Hey UG
Ive been playing guitar for about a year now and decided i want a new guitar.
I have a budget of around £450 and am open to anything that really fits the bill.
I play indie, rock, alternative **** (muse/radiohead), and even a little bit of garage and punk.

Ive been looking at Italias, epis and gretsch but im open to anything really, so any advice or opinions would be greatful
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...
I would say either an Epiphone les paul of some sort, or a fender mexican stratocaster.go to a guitar store, try out those two(and every other one you fancy, really) and make up your mind to which suits you the best, which ones feels, sounds (and looks...) the best in your opinion.
glad i could help
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

I own an Epi Les Paul and A Mexican Strat. The LP tends to suit classic rock and more distorted stuff in general then the Strat, but it does have good clean tone too. The Strat is my favourite, simply because it fits my style of play better. I tend to play mostly RHCP and Biffy Clyro, and this gutar suits both these's styles, as they use Strats, but I also prefer playing it for my own stuff too.

Your best bet is to go to a shop and try them out for yourself. Only you truly know what will suit you best.
The Italia Mondial is really nice, and can do those styles you mentioned well, although it can sound quite muddy at times. If you want a particularly bright sound you shouldn't get it, but otherwise, it plays, looks, and sounds great.

EDIT: What amp do you have? Just for a bit more info, its easier to suggest guitars if you know what amp they'll be played through.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
My amp is a Vox AC15
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...
Quote by MaXiMuse
Humbuckers...

Preferences...
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Ooo, nice. The Mondial would probably be good with that, as its a bright enough amp to balance out the guitars occasionally dull tone. Besides, thats what EQs are made for. I wholeheartedly recommend one, they're in your price range. Still, there's no substitute for just walking into a guitar shop and saying 'I want x, y, and z, and I have £?'. I'd say thats what you should do.

EDIT: More ideas to try:

-Tele (particularly the ones with a bridge HB, they have a nice sound)
-Thinline tele (both fit your styles perfectly, I prefer the thinline)

Thats about all I can think of right now.... And they're both the same guitar .
Sorry, but I don't have an awful lot of ideas...
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Apr 13, 2008,
I reccomend buying a gretch Electromatic G5120. It is either 300 pounds or euros (im american I don't know this kind of stuff. lol) But I reccomend buying that, and with the rest of your money buy TV jones pickups to put on it. It would sound amazing through your amp.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Hagstrom Super Swede

edit

Fender MIJ Aerodyne Telecaster in black

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Apr 13, 2008,
if you want a "traditional" guitar, i can't recommend japanese copies (edwards, tokai etc.) highly enough for around your budget. you're talking gibson/fender USA quality (if not better, or, at least, more consistent) for little more than epiphone/MIM fender prices.

obviously if you want something a little more "out there", you might have to look elsewhere...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?