I've found that when strumming, especially on the lower strings while palm muting, my pointer finger ends up digging into the strings a bit. It seems to be because I use (wrist) rotation to strum, so my index finger just kind of naturally catches the strings. I used to not really notice or care, but I'm now thinking that this may be a factor that reduces my efficiency and economy of motion. I obviously wanted the smallest strokes possible.

Do any of you know what I'm talking about, and should I aim to avoid this?

Here are some pictures that show the way I hold my guitar pick:

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Apr 13, 2008,
Maybe you could adjust the position of your index finger slightly higher. Or perhaps you're picking too "deep"?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I've thought about adjusting my index finger to be slightly higher, but it seems to give my fingers extra tension. Was wondering if there's maybe something I can do that allows my hand to stay relaxed.

Kanthras, yeah I might be picking too deep I'll work on that also.
Bend the last joint of your index in a bit, so that it no longer points at the guitar, but more towards your thumb.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Yeah that's kind of what I have to do to remedy the problem, but I was just hoping maybe I could angle the pick differently so that I could keep my thumb and pointer finger relaxed.

My index finger only digs into strings when I'm strumming because I strum using rotation of my wrist, so I guess my finger has no choice but to catch the strings. It just annoys me.