Well our band formed last year June, still in search of a bassist. We had a 3 month break in January because our studio was being built. So it was finally done this past weekend and it was the drummers birthday. So They had a party and invited like 40 ppl....

And we were asked to play a bit...

Since we were very rusty, we just chose two covers we always play as warm ups. So first cover went down well (Children Of Bodom's Downfall), then second song came up...

Dimmu Borgir - Blessings upon the Throne of tyranny.

It was a disaster. Keyboardist hit "split effect" instead of "strings" on his keyboard and he got this space invader's type of sound and he played the whole song like that without realising it. Drummer sped up to about 250BPM, and everything just spelt out :Epic fail.

I could not face the crowd, that's how embarrassed I was.
For being a band for less than a year and having a 3 month break therefore being rusty, is this a major fail or still expected?

Because I feel major disappointed and wanted to fire the keyboardist.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
That's expected... after a 3 month break, I'm not at all surprised.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
haha,, sounds baad.. but then again, 1 year isn't very long.. and a break for 3 moth is a long time for a newly started band.. i think you should take this experience and use it to motivate your group members.. dont think about it
Sounds nasty, but it's only one gig. Besides, you said the first song went well so quite a lot of the audience will probably have considered it to be an unlucky thing and not a common occurence. Especially after three months, don't worry about it too much and just make sure you avoid those problems in the future.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
I would pay to see a Dimmu Borgir song with space-invader keyboard sounds. But the drummer going way out of tempo is not cool.
Quote by Eternal_One
Because I feel major disappointed and wanted to fire the keyboardist.

Screw ups happen, get over it and get off your high horse
Well, consider this your "worst gig ever" and move on. You've all hopefully learned a lesson about performing after a lengthy break without any sort of preparation, so take that lesson and apply it in the future.

Maybe you could even turn the "screwed up song" into a setlist gag at some point in the future.

Quote by GiantRaven
Screw ups happen, get over it and get off your high horse

You had to have been there to understand the disaster. Wasn't a simple "oh 20 second screw up". Sounding disastrous in front of 40 people which was the first time I have played to crowd so excuse me for being pissed of.

Thx for all advice though @ everyone
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
It's not a big deal. Be happy it was only in front of 40 people instead of 4,000. Yes, it's a bit embarrassing but it's not the end of the world. If you play enough gigs some of them are going to go terribly but you learn from them and move on. So in the future don't play unless you guys are practiced.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Eternal_One
You had to have been there to understand the disaster. Wasn't a simple "oh 20 second screw up". Sounding disastrous in front of 40 people which was the first time I have played to crowd so excuse me for being pissed of.

Thx for all advice though @ everyone

It was your first show?

In my first show I ****ed up a bass solo with no other instrument playing and stopped completely and locked up

**** happens - get over it
my band actually did something similar. Our drummer just got back from a month long vacation and we were asked to play at his relatives place. We were horrible and had no songs together. But it was expected and now we continued the band and we're all doing well
the keyboards don't exactly count as a disaster
more of (accident + deaf keyboardist)
i have a 'white guitar'