My band's just been offered a gig but i (lead vocals rhythm guitar) can't do it because I'm on holiday. The bassist and drummer want to do it without me but the lead guitar and me don't. Should i just let them do it, or are they in the wrong?
hello
Let 'em do it. There's no reason not too
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Let 'em do it. There's no reason not too

Yes there is a reason not to. They wouldn't have vocals or guitars.
Quote by chris_red
Yes there is a reason not to. They wouldn't have vocals or guitars.

Exactly. Their loss.
Quote by Strati
Well, I think you're right. They shouldn't do it without the whole band, and how WOULd they do it without rhythm guitar and lead vocals? That sounds pretty stupid.

This.
i would love to do it because it's our hometowns annual music festival. but i can't, so why should they? they're talking about getting a stand in as well, but i'd feel like i was being replaced if they did that. and lead guitarist is refusing to play if i'm not there, so they'll need 2. but that's pointless and wouldn't be our band.
hello
So you don't want to be replaced, but YOU'RE the one going away on holiday.

The bassist and drummer are trying to roll with it and make the best of the situation, so if they manage to get stand ins and play at this important gig, you should be happy for them, not cry about it because it's not what you want.

Also, the 'I can't do it, so why should they?' attitude comes across as extremely childish.
Without a singer, I wouldn't. Lyrics are something that a lot of people are attracted too. Rhythm guitar doesn't matter as much, but is still a good thing to have.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Imagine you have absolutely no ego. Now imagine what that person would want to do.

Tell your band (lead guitarist too) what the ego-less you would want them to do.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Ask how they would feel in your position

I know I wouldn't want some other bass player playing a show in my place

What if he was better than me?
I've played many gigs with stand in musicians, usualy because someone was ill and the gig was a contract gig that means you either have to play or you end up paying the venue money.
I suppose in this respect it's a pretty good thing to do. Plus, if it's a major event and the band does well, it's the band's name that will be remembered, not individual members, so it may actualy work to your advantage. Imagine if a promoter sees them at the gig, likes what he hears, and books the band for a gig, or imagine the band picks up a good hardcore following. It'll be you playing that gig, or gaining that following, so you will have gained from your drummer and bassist's hard work.
Yes, I know it's disappointing to think that it wouldn't be you responsible for the band's good fortune, and artisticaly and ego wise, it sucks, but you've gotta think of what's best for the band.
Purely from a business point of view, it's sound practice.
That said, it's only gonna be good for the band if the replacements do a good job of it, so I would suggest that once the replacements have been picked, get the drummer and bassist to rehearse intensly with them to make sure that it's gonna work and even turn up to the rehearsal to help the new guys out with learning the material.
But make sure that everyone agrees first that once they've given it their best shot in rehearsal, if it doesn't really work, or doesn't do the band justice, then they should cancel.
I can't believe how many people in this thread are against the OP heh.

I wouldn't ever play a show without my entire band unless it was contracted before hand or something and we had to. Hell, we've tried just having stand-ins during practices before when someone couldn't make it and it just never works out the same. The drummer we got to help was good, but he just didn't know the songs and small mistakes he made threw us off or just didn't sound right.

I especially wouldn't doa show without my other guitarist and vocalist there. It would sound like utter and total **** and I would be ashamed to perform in front of a crowd like that.

Plus, if it's a major event and IF the band does well, it's the band's name that will be remembered, not individual members, so it may actualy work to your advantage. Imagine if a promoter sees them at the gig, likes what he hears, and books the band for a gig, or imagine the band picks up a good hardcore following.

You forgot a very important word in that first sentance, if. IF the band does well. The chances are just as good it will be terrible and people will remember that instead.

To me, unless it's your whole line-up it's not worth playing. There will always be more opportunities to play shows and I don't see the point in playing a show just to do it if you're not going to have your whole line-up.

Imagine you have absolutely no ego. Now imagine what that person would want to do.

Tell your band (lead guitarist too) what the ego-less you would want them to do.

I have no musical ego and I would still tell my band not to do it. Hell, if one of the other three couldn't make it and wanted us to play anyways I still wouldn't want to do it.

Nothing to do with ego, just pride in the product. Why do something half-assed?
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Last edited by gald at Apr 14, 2008,
If they can get replacements let them do it.

If they can't, don't.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I have no musical ego and I would still tell my band not to do it. Hell, if one of the other three couldn't make it and wanted us to play anyways I still wouldn't want to do it.

Pride in the product? Right, so it must be good for you to take pride in it. Fair enough. But......for it to be good enough for you to take pride in, you can't have anyone else in your place? Yep, no ego there...
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

I agree with Slack mostly here. The problem is that bringing in a stand-in guitarist should be easy. Bringing in a stand-in singer is not. Learning lyrics and the core melodies of otherwise unfamiliar songs is a lot harder than remembering a handful of chords and a couple of solos.

Not to mention, it really does change the whole presentation of the band unless you can get a singer who is actually stylistically similar to you. Adding Sammy Hagar to replace DLR in Van Halen was a major change. OTOH, Styx has been touring with Lawrence Gowan on lead vocals, and he does an amazing job. You'd never know he wasn't the original singer.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Grow up. It shouldn't be up to you to let them play anyways.
I like a do da cha cha.
Quote by gald

You forgot a very important word in that first sentance, if. IF the band does well.
I think you'll find that the first word in that sentence actualy was 'if'
Quote by gald

The chances are just as good it will be terrible and people will remember that instead.

Which is why I mentioned that the gig should be rehearsed and if it's looking like the stand ins arn't up to it, then the band should cancel, in other words, don't risk having a terrible performance.
Quote by gald

To me, unless it's your whole line-up it's not worth playing. There will always be more opportunities to play shows and I don't see the point in playing a show just to do it if you're not going to have your whole line-up.

While I do see your point, I must remind you that those in the upper echelon of music do this kinda thing all the time. In big business music, practicaly all gigs are contract gigs, so if anyone in the band becomes ill, they either have to put up with being ill on stage, or the band has to play without them or they have to be replaced for the gig, plus, how many times have you turned on the radio to hear some DJ announce that they are going to have such and such from a particular band playing live in the radio studio? Live radio work very rarely includes the full band because radio studios are generaly very small.
My point is, it's good, recognised business practice for a band to be able to send reprisentatives to an event when not all of the official band can make it.
Quote by axemanchris
I agree with Slack mostly here. The problem is that bringing in a stand-in guitarist should be easy. Bringing in a stand-in singer is not. Learning lyrics and the core melodies of otherwise unfamiliar songs is a lot harder than remembering a handful of chords and a couple of solos.

Not to mention, it really does change the whole presentation of the band unless you can get a singer who is actually stylistically similar to you. Adding Sammy Hagar to replace DLR in Van Halen was a major change. OTOH, Styx has been touring with Lawrence Gowan on lead vocals, and he does an amazing job. You'd never know he wasn't the original singer.

CT

Cheers Chris.
As I mentioned, the band should only use stand ins or perform without key members if they are cirtain that they can do the band justice, and have rehearsed enough to ensure it.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 15, 2008,
It shouldn't be a case of you versus them. You're a band! Work it out so everyone's happy. If you get your way at their expense, it's only gonna hurt the band as a whole.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
In big business music, practicaly all gigs are contract gigs

We haven't accepted this gig thugh, i probably should have mentioned that. I don't see the point in accepting it when we know someone isn't there. If we realised someone was way when we'd accepted it, then yeah i'd be fine, but before we've accepted it, it seems a bit foolish.
hello
Quote by opc100
but before we've accepted it, it seems a bit foolish.

*facepalm*

Go read the thread.

People have suggested a lot of good reasons why it isn't foolish.
Quote by Ed O'Brien