I got a stick man and I can make him move left and right using the arrow keys (in actionscript), which is what I want. Thing is, his legs and arms don't move when he does so he kind just magically moves. I've created a walking motion for him, which is now a symbol (movie clip). What I want do to is play the clip when he moves right (when I press the right key), and stop the clip when I let go, changing it back to the original still picture of him. Just basic movement, I guess.

If someone can tell me how to do this, it would be very much appreciated. And remember I'm still a complete noob at this. Also, I can post the file if you want to take a look at it.
go to flashkit.com/board ..they always help me when I have a problem figuring something out
try using a an action that changes the clip inside the stickman clip
like in other frame inside the stickman clip
i dont know gow to explain it
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
wouldnt you just need to add in a jump to scene/frame command on the onPress/onRelease ?

cant remember the syntax for it
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
if (Key.isDown(65)) {
_x -= speed;
this.gotoAndStop(2);
}
if (Key.isDown(87)) {
_y -= speed;
this.gotoAndStop(2);
}
if (Key.isDown(83)) {
_y += speed;
this.gotoAndStop(2);
}
}

That wont work if you put in alone and that is also for a birds eye view game so speed wont change with y axis. And its missing on enter frame etc

and its missing one direction but hopefully youll get the point
I can't remember anything and all my books are sitting in my room in middlesbrough, but i'll try and explain what could work.

You could make a movie clip for the man walking right (basically with his legs and arms going in that general direction, and one for him going left. Lets call them rightAnimation and leftAnimation, something like that. Then in your actionscript tell it that when you press the right arrow key it has to swap the symbol to rightAnimation, and the opposite for left, and then when you release the arrow key it stops and reverts to the original symbol.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by Metalcredge
I can't remember anything and all my books are sitting in my room in middlesbrough, but i'll try and explain what could work.

You could make a movie clip for the man walking right (basically with his legs and arms going in that general direction, and one for him going left. Lets call them rightAnimation and leftAnimation, something like that. Then in your actionscript tell it that when you press the right arrow key it has to swap the symbol to rightAnimation, and the opposite for left, and then when you release the arrow key it stops and reverts to the original symbol.

Exactly! I've done the bolded bit already, and what you explained is basically what i want. But I need the actual code to make it do that, because i have no idea about codes at all (i copied the code to make him move from a tutorial).