I know it's a pretty stupid question, but it's alwas bugged me...

Why do they, as in say Fender and Gibson, make like 50 versions of the LP and Strat? I know they're different, but really, is there that much difference?? I'd really like to see some knew stuff. Bring back some old discontinued guitars.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
yes, they have too many differences to count.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It is cheaper to manufacture the same body over and over, rather than use different templates for a larger variety of body shapes.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Well Gibson has several shapes: LP, Explorer, SG, Flying V, Firebird

But LP is the most popular one, so they naturally make more LPs.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
I would definently love to see some remade old models like the Gibson Moderne. Things like this would just cost the company too much.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
yes bring back the moderne! they were too ahead of its time, people would definately buy them now, Epi and Gibson models.
Gibsons Robot Guitars are Deffinitly old School

But yes, new models are Wanted. Especially from Fender. the One new thing they came out with recently seems to be the VG (which ive tried, it doesnt sound like a Real Guitar haha)
Quote by Joey Radical
Well Gibson has several shapes: LP, Explorer, SG, Flying V, Firebird

But LP is the most popular one, so they naturally make more LPs.

Yeah I know, and Fender has the Strat, Tele, Mustang, Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and others, but it's not enough. They've discontinued some great guitars.

Gibson is the same way...they should bring back the Moderne like stated above, and I'd love to see a Marauder.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Yeah I know, and Fender has the Strat, Tele, Mustang, Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and others, but it's not enough. They've discontinued some great guitars.

Gibson is the same way...they should bring back the Moderne like stated above, and I'd love to see a Marauder.

I saw an Epiphone Prohpecy series guitar with a Floyd, but it didnt look like any of the Other Main Body styles. Kinda looked like a Squished Strat. is that what your refering to?
They will often make a bunch of similar guitars but equip them with different stuff to make them cheaper/more expensive or look different depending on the buyers' tastes.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
It's business. you cater to your customers wants.

each company's highest selling model is the LP and strat. These models aren't just guitars anymore they're icons. People want to be part of it and yet want 'their' sound. How do you cater to that? by making a wide variety of models within the strat and LP range.

Models were discontinued because they either weren't selling well enough or the company didn't think that they would sell enough. And the main reason that people like the discontinued models are good is because they're unusual and rare. if they had gone into production/stayed in production you'd be including them in the 'yeah I know they make other models like the x, y and z but I want other stuff'

It doesn't make good business sense to move on from a successful formula. Plus the people who really want a strange model are in the minority and will usually pay a ****load in order to get it.

edit: you want to see new stuff like the discontinued models?

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Tubyboulin
I saw an Epiphone Prohpecy series guitar with a Floyd, but it didnt look like any of the Other Main Body styles. Kinda looked like a Squished Strat. is that what your refering to?

That's called an EM-2, it's Epi's super-strat style guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I was expecting this thread to be about Dean and the 500,000 different Dime guitars...
Quote by fergus74
I was expecting this thread to be about Dean and the 500,000 different Dime guitars...

Yes that annoys me beyond all belief. It would be easier for them if they changed the company name from dean to dime.
Bring back the U2.

Nuff said.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Same reason other things that are popular get made in so many colors (nike air force ones, converse, skateboards, hats, ect.)
Its all about variety and since they see that we like the product they keep on producing it.
If we all stopped buying these things we will see a decrease in they're availability.
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?