got outbid on ebay so i thought i'd consider this.

Is it worth making a bass? I've got some DIY knowledge so it shouldn't be that hard. I'm thinking of spending up to £350 on it, so is it worth it or can you get good quality for that price?
depends what you mean by good. Unfotunately for you, being in the UK does increase the cost of sourcing the parts. I know for $700 in the US, you can build a nice intermediate bass, probably one as nice as a premade one for the same price.

Price depends on your approach, are you buying a premade body and neck or building them yourself? If you're doing the former, chances are you aren't going to save any money. So the "is it worth it?" question comes down to worth what? Yes you can get a custom made bass for cheap, so it might be worth getting the exact features that you want. And it might be worth the exciting instrument building exeperience. But it's doubtful you will end up with an overall higher quality bass for less money, especially if you buy a premade body and neck.

Your best bet is to move this to the gear building and modding forum.

Oh and IMO the hardest DIY part by far is the finish. Unless you have extensive experience in that field, prepare for a crappy looking instrument even if all the other workmanship is perfect, not that that effects the sound or playability of the instrument.
I'm currently in the process of making a bass. Or at least planning on doing so.

Depends on what you're gonna do with that £350. Are you going to buy a kit, and put good parts on it? Are you going to make it from scratch? Are you going to make the neck?

All these will effect how much it will cost.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
at first i was going to buy a squier but i wasn't happy with piss taking the people in my band gave me. i was going to build a bass from scratch (apart from the neck) but i thought that i'd probably screw up the finish so i'm not really sure now
Well, buying a neck is expensive. The one I'm getting is setting me back around £200ish.

The rest of the cost will depend on the pickups you're going to use, the wood, the eq (if it's active) and the hardware.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.