So.. what's the biggest differences..?
I've heard you can get some expression pedal for the shifter so besides the expression, what are your opinions on each?
Not sure which to get, I love the cool sounds from the digitech every since I heard "Killing In The Name" but the harmonies from the boss shifter sound awesome after listening to people playing around with it on random videos..
so can the whammy pedal do harmonies and stuff like the boss?

Like I said, what do you think I should get..?

edit:
like:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DMBIKWgnBhI
can you do what he does at around 51 seconds to a minute 3 or so on a boss shifter?

and
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wy7n4WBUCis
can you do what this guy does with the whammy?

also where do you get an expression pedal for the super shifter,
and what's the noise on these things.. like any hiss?
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Apr 13, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
they both can do harmonies.

Not exactly. The Whammy pedal is strictly a pitch shifter with basic pitch shifting capabilities, while the PS-5 is a basic and intelligent harmonizer.
if you've ever heard the intro to voice of the voiceless by rage against the machine, thats done with the HARMONIZER setting of the digitech whammy. the digitech has 2 settings, a basic pitch shifter, and a harmonizer mode, in which you get your dry signal plus whatever pitch shift you're using.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
the whammy pedal is so much more versatile and easier to deal with. The prices are so close, why not get the superior one? But hey, that's just my two cents.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Neither. Get a POG or a HOG. Wish I had instead of the Digitech.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I'd prefer more then just an octave pedal ^

and after watchin vids on youtube of people using the shifter as a harmonizer it sounds really great but I want a good shifter to and I like how the whammy has the expression on it already and stuff
Quote by Horlicks

How can you say that it doesn't have a harmoniser?

I think he means that it has pitch shifting abilities (which include basic harmonising), but it doesn't have an intelligent harmoniser (eg. it doesn't harmonise your leads in A or anything like that, it just harmonises you with fifths and such).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Horlicks
How can you say that it doesn't have a harmoniser?

I've had the Whammy for quite a few years now, I'm pretty sure I know what it looks like and how it works. It might be labeled as 'Harmony', but it's still a basic pitch shifter. It doesn't harmonize, in key, with you. It's producing a note above or below whatever interval you're using. You're shifting between pitches, which isn't what I would consider harmonizing.
Quote by TechnicolorType
like:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DMBIKWgnBhI
can you do what he does at around 51 seconds to a minute 3 or so on a boss shifter?

and
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wy7n4WBUCis
can you do what this guy does with the whammy?

also what's the noise on these things.. like any hiss?

The PS-5 and Whammy are both very quiet pedals, but do suck tone. That first clip, you'll be able to do that with both the Whammy and PS-5. The second clip, you'll only be able to do that with the PS-5.
Quote by TechnicolorType
I'd prefer more then just an octave pedal ^

and after watchin vids on youtube of people using the shifter as a harmonizer it sounds really great but I want a good shifter to and I like how the whammy has the expression on it already and stuff

They both have detune features as well. It can organ sounds and ****. It's not just an octave.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by TechnicolorType
Main thing I want is a pitch shifter and good harmonizer.

TBH with mine (and other ive known) sit and gather dust. All i ever use it for is the octave shifts or the harmoniser for organ sounding clean stuff.

Check out the Zoom g9 pedal as well it has 2 way motion..also goes side to side so you can assign pitch shift up and down and select a harmoniser from moving left to right..or a wah. All these pedals suck tone but if you are not touring etc i would suggest the zoom as it also has 2 tubes so its a good tone.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-YUGlVG8-fI
Multi-effects pedals change your tone too much, sound best direct..
which I play on a tube amp so um.. no.
Quote by TechnicolorType

The effect of any decent unit on your tone is negligible.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by TechnicolorType

you want to put a digital harmoniser pedal through a peavey classic 50 and you want great tone? maybe you should get a better amp and a 2nd guitarist.
to me, the boss super shifter is confusing as hell. But thats probably because i know no music theory.
I just wanted to do the harmonizing that is done in black star, but i couldnt figure it out
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Whammy pwns the **** out the Super SHifter, having owned one.

Look at the Electro Harmonix HOG though, it beats the both, but it more of an octave effect.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I can't speak for the boss, but I've owned the digitech whammy, and it really is a piece of crap.

I resold it a week later.
Quote by Andy28
you want to put a digital harmoniser pedal through a peavey classic 50 and you want great tone? maybe you should get a better amp and a 2nd guitarist.

a 50 watt tube amp is enough for a good sounding tone, I really don't need any better and if I want I can play on a Soldano half-stack.
I've used tons of pedals and none change the tone but multi-effects pedals have a pre-amp and will alter the tone much which is why they're best for solid-state or direct.

also I have a 2nd guitarist, but unless both players have the exact same tone it doesn't sound as good when playing harmonized parts, also when there's songs that require guitarists then a harmonizer would be nice.
such as, 2 guitars playing the lead while there's a rythm guitarist playing some chords and what not.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Apr 14, 2008,
Quote by TechnicolorType
also I have a 2nd guitarist, but unless both players have the exact same tone it doesn't sound as good when playing harmonized parts, also when there's songs that require guitarists then a harmonizer would be nice.
such as, 2 guitars playing the lead while there's a rythm guitarist playing some chords and what not.

That doesn't make much sense, care to explain? As long as both players have a decent background in theory, are in tune, and can play in time it should sound fine regardless of using different rigs.
I would personally go with the PS-5. It harmonizes intelligently, which means it will harmonize in key. With the Whammy, if you want to harmonize in 3rds, it will sometimes harmonize with wrong notes, because it will always do a Major 3rd or a Minor 3rd, and not both interchangeably like would happen in a scale. So if you can determine the key of a song, get the PS-5. Hell, even if you can't, with the expression pedal I still like it better than the whammy.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50