Edited with paragraph breaks for the Grammar Nazis

I was pretty skeptical about getting this amp initially. I got kinda worried about durability and things of that nature, or how it would sound in a band situation. I nearly bought a used 5150 combo, (there were 3 for sale in my area) or an Orange Tiny Terror with an avatar 2x12 cab, but after doing a lot of thinking and extensive playing on it in the store, with my pedal board and guitar, I decided to go after the Bugera. Now that I have had a few days to put it in all of my different playing situations, and to get out of that honeymoon "oh my goodness, this thing could take on your bogner with a plastic spork" phase, I figured I'd write something up for you guys that might be looking at this amp.

At first, when I heard Behringer would be releasing a tube amp line, I immediately thought it would be a joke. But this little box has changed my opinion immensely. I play in a jazz band, a worship band and a post-hardcore band, so versatility was a huge need. The 5150 just didn't have it, and while the Tiny Terror could cover most of it, it still didn't really deliver everything I needed. So enter Bugera.....

I will admit I tried NOT to like this amp. I was thinking if its connected with Behringer it cant be durable or versatile enough. Looking at the amp, the craftsmanship seems VERY clean. Nice tough tolex (much better than the b-52 tolex that seems to rip if you look at it wrong, and seems tough enough. So then I began to test out all of my needs on it. I started by testing cleans. The Bugera amazingly had the most shimmering cleans I have ever gotten out of a non boutique high gain head. And at high volume I might add. It shimmers, and has a very open woody tone with nice sparkle. Kick in the bright switch and you can get that bluesy bite out of it, but still with plenty of sparkle on chords. I compared the cleans to a Hot Rod Deville in the store, and this one did way better.

The crunch side of the rhythm channel was very responsive to volume knob settings on my guitar, and could go from clean with available bite with harder picking, to a thick distortion, by turning up the guitar volume. Now the hi gain channel is, of course, what this amp was designed for. She is tight and defined, with gobs of sustain to offer. It stays tight, even under dense chordings. Even my drummer made the comment that he could hear all of the nuances of my chording that he had not noticed before while we were playing at full tilt.

The footswitch takes a bit of getting used to, because it does not operate conventionally. If you step on the lead channel button, and then step on it again, it will not go back to clean. You have to step on the clean button. I am quickly getting used to this though. And it's just a minor preference issue. Also, like most high gain amps, she can howl at higher settings, my HUSH in the loop quieted this down no problem. If you dont have some kind of noise gate on a high gain amp, you really need one. My other gripe with this amp would be that you cannot select the crunch side on the footswitch. It really is just a two channel amp.

It is a 5150 copy of sorts. I will say that this is NOT a 5150, it really is its own beast, and I hope more people will discover it. Durability? Well I don't know yet. But Behringer has service centers everywhere, and I've talked to numerous store owners who said that Behringer has replaced numerous products that were way out of warrenty with the new model for free on multiple occasions. And turn around time was about 3 days. So even if it craps out, I'm not too worried.

I can't believe I fell in love with this thing, but it was WELL worth the money spent. Not too sure how the head sounds, as the store quickly sold the first stack they got in. But I have thrown this thing into every situation I could think of, played it in jazz band, played blues, praise and worship, rock and metal, hoping it would disappoint me so that I could go back and snag something else. But this damn box wouldn't let me go. And I gotta admit, I'm really glad I got it (and for 100 cheaper than they go for everywhere else). I will post pics and recordings soon so you guys can hear it for yourself.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Apr 13, 2008,
I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel Air
You ever heard of paragraphs?

Anyone else wanna hop on?
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Is it a combo or a head w/cab,if its a head what cab/what speakers?
Just being nosy, I'm really interested in getting one, I dont use cleans alot but if this amp does nearly everythin I may as well splash out on somethin that can yno?

EDIT: Any chance you could throw up a few pics of yours?
I'm still struggling to get a look at one thats not a digi mockup lol
Cheers
Last edited by PabloGilberto at Apr 13, 2008,
Several independant stories of capacitors blowing up made me decide to get the Tiny Terror which I really love. The Bugera still has amazing tone though.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Might sound ok, but ever owner I've seen has had the amp crap out on them within the first month or so. Soldering work on these things is just horrible. I couldn't gig with such an amp.

Best of luck to you, and hope it all goes well though

Isnt it because the caps and resistors are crap and blow up?
I read that somewhere.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Green_Jelly
Several independant stories of capacitors blowing up made me decide to get the Tiny Terror which I really love. The Bugera still has amazing tone though.

I'm really interested in seeing you back this up. I've seen one case of this, a user from Harmony Central who himself thinks it's because A. he didn't let the moisture inside the amp evaporate after shipping and and B. also changed channels a lot for some reason.

So where are the other stories that's included in "several"?

To TS: Congratulations on your new amp. However much I wish to know about Green_Jelly's sources, I can't deny the one case of caps blowing and other cases of just other things dying in the amps - however the warranty is good I believe. Good luck with your amp
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
There was only one story of blown caps, and that was on Harmony-Central. Even he admitted it was probably his fault. I kept hearing about this problem but only found one storry. One other guy had one come DOA. But then again, I've heard stories of pots crapping out on a Tiny Terror as well or with Fender Hot Rod Devilles having the reverb crap out because of shoddy soldering on certain resistors. I've actually fixed this problem for a friend. Fact is, no amp is perfect, and I did heavy research because I'm too poor to waste money. And the thing is, if a cap goes, that can be replaced with simple soldering. But like I said, apparently Behringer service centers are awesome. I keep hearing that from players and dealers alike.

I have the Combo version, and like I said, I really tried not to like it. I ended up LOVING it. I will throw up some pics tonight.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Apr 13, 2008,
Quote by Bloodshed
There was only one story of blown caps, and that was on Harmony-Central. Even he admitted it was probably his fault. I kept hearing about this problem but only found one storry. One other guy had one come DOA. But then again, I've heard stories of pots crapping out on a Tiny Terror as well or with Fender Hot Rod Devilles having the reverb crap out because of shoddy soldering on certain resistors. I've actually fixed this problem for a friend. Fact is, no amp is perfect, and I did heavy research because I'm too poor to waste money. And the thing is, if a cap goes, that can be replaced with simple soldering. But like I said, apparently Behringer service centers are awesome. I keep hearing that from players and dealers alike.

I have the Combo version, and like I said, I really tried not to like it. I ended up LOVING it. I will throw up some pics tonight.

You can add my amp which worked for 15 minutes until something stopped working (kept blowing fuses). I have a new one on the way tho.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Here's the pics I promised....makes more sense to post it here than in a new thread

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I think so. It's very cleanly built. And it sounds epic. Im gonna record some stuff on it tonight
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Sweet pics bro. Thanks for posting them. Nice new toy you got there. I'm getting my 6262 half stack next week and I must admit I can't wait.
Hope it doesn't die on you
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
lol, I'll take my chances, but so far its doing great, and I play out at least twice a week. The good news is I can do most repairs my self, so I'm not too worried
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
They are not all going to "die" Slayer. I hope you were just being silly/sarcastic. I'm getting a little pissy about everybody saying they are all going to die just because a handful of people had an issue. It's a new affordable amp and LOTS of people are ordering them right now. If they were that crappy there would already be an internet uproar. Seriously...
^chill out^
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
I've got the head and at the time i played quite a few to see if it was worth it...i spent about 5 hours one day in a music shop with my ltd, and I didn't want to spend to much on a head because its for jamming not gigging, long story short, I played an ENGL blackmore that was used, a mark IV and a triple rec, I bought the bugera because of its price and although the tone isnt as shaped as the other 3, its a great value... and I will definitely buy the blackmore once I get in a band situation because it just sounded the best out of that and the two mesa's...(of course it should for the price)...I havent put the head through a long test yet, but its great value. DB
I liked the combo version better than the head, but I also wanted the portability. Like I said, it does easily keep up in a band setting, and can give my friends Single Rec a run for its money. I'm about to hit the studio tonight, so I'll see if I can give some samples for you guys
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Just take the time and chasis mount the pots and input jacks. Very simple fix and check the traces while your in there. I really hope the Bugera does make it. Its price fix is perfect for the struggling musician who needs a decent amp.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Thats the plan. Eventually I wanna replace all the caps with Mallory caps and retube with a JJ low gain 5150 kit...though I'm kinda itching to try some EL34s in it, as it has adjustable bias
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Cheers, the world needs more amp tech/guitarists.

I hope it holds up. I've been tempted by these amps, but I'm getting along fine with my ultra-bargain bin Crate for now.
Ive had a few of these in at work (I work at a music shop) and every single one we've had to send back because it was faulty. Out of the several we've had in, only two or three have sold because all the others were sent back. Now, out of the ones we HAVE sold, Ive only heard one guy complain about his acting up, but that it wasnt too big of a deal...only annoying.

I really like these amps too, its just a shame theyre build quality is what you expect from Behringer.

I sell a lot of their pedals too...literally 6 or 7 out of 10 of them are returned because they were busted. Everything Behringer puts out is a 50/50 chance. Luckily most the stuff is so dirt cheap its not really a big deal. But when someone spends a few hundred bucks on a 15" active PA speaker and the electronics fry in the middle of someones gig (yes, this has happened a few times before with some of my costumers) well...its a damn shame that Behringer really cares less about quality. Theyre the McDonalds of the music gear world...quantity-cheap CRAP over quality.

Behringer buyers beware. Believe me, like I said, most all the Behringer stuff I sell at work eventually comes back to me busted. Theyre a crap company putting out sub-par products and they pay absolutely NO attention to detail, or build quality.

Again, I actually like the 6262...but...I would never even consider it based on these facts.