Page 1 of 2
This might possibly have been posted before, because it is an old story. But still, amazing regardless.

In order to qualify for a Darwin Award, a person must remove himself from the gene pool via an "astounding misapplication of judgment."
-http://www.darwinawards.com/

At the 1994 annual awards dinner given for Forensic Science, AAFS, President Dr. Don Harper Mills astounded his audience with the legal complications of a bizarre death. Here is the story:

On March 23,1994 the medical examiner viewed the body of Ronald Opus and concluded that he died from a shotgun wound to the head. Mr. Opus had jumped from the top of a ten story building intending to commit suicide. He left a note to that effect, indicating his despondency. As he fell past the ninth floor his life was interrupted by a shotgun blast passing through a window which killed him instantly.

Neither the shooter nor the descender was aware that a safety net had been installed just below at the eighth floor level to protect some building workers and that Ronald Opus would not have been able to complete his suicide the way he had planned.

"Ordinarily," Dr. Mills continued, "a person who sets out to commit suicide and ultimately succeeds, even though the mechanism might not be what he intended, is still defined as committing suicide."

That Mr. Opus was shot on the way to certain death, but probably would not have been successful because of the safety net, caused the medical examiner to feel that he had a homicide on his hands. The room on the ninth floor, whence the shotgun blast emanated, was occupied by an elderly man and his wife. They were arguing vigorously and he was threatening her with a shotgun. The man was so upset that when he pulled the trigger he completely missed his wife and the pellets went through the window, striking Mr. Opus.

When one intends to kill subject A but kills subject B in the attempt, one is guilty of the murder of subject B. When confronted with the murder charge the old man and his wife were both adamant. They both said they thought the shotgun was unloaded. The old man said it was his long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her. Therefore the killing of Mr. Opus appeared to be an accident; that is, the gun had been accidentally loaded.

The continuing investigation turned up a witness who saw the old couple's son loading the shotgun about six weeks prior to the fatal accident. It transpired that the old lady had cut off her son's financial support and the son, knowing the propensity of his father to use the shotgun threateningly, loaded the gun with the expectation that his father would shoot his mother. The case now becomes one of murder on the part of the son for the death of Ronald Opus.

Now comes the exquisite twist. Further investigation revealed that the son was, in fact, Ronald Opus. He had become increasingly despondent over the failure of his attempt to engineer his mother's murder. This led him to jump off the ten story building on March 23rd, only to be killed by a shotgun blast passing through the ninth story window. The son had actually murdered himself so the medical examiner closed the case as a suicide.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Darwin Awards are quite possibly some of the funniest books ever produced. I like the one with the zookeeper who died from getting shat on by an elephant. I think that's how it went at least....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I have three of the books
EDIT : That being said, the JATO one is pretty epic.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

wow... absolutely hilarious.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I saw that in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
thats too poetic man...
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Quote by sashki
Darwin is dead, and therefore only laughing figuratively.

An odd turn of events, I must say.

I know.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Quote by sashki
So do I.

Quote by Article

Quote by stratman_13
Darwin Awards are quite possibly some of the funniest books ever produced. I like the one with the zookeeper who died from getting shat on by an elephant. I think that's how it went at least....

Yea, that was one of the funniest. There was another that a dude pissed on an electrical fence and... well... you know what follows with these awards.
another Darwin award wen't to a man who tide huge balloons of helium to a chair (for some reason) fell asleep went up like a mile or 2 or someting into the air, froze to death.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
The old man said it was his long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun.

haha
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
That's impossible.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Wow. Very strange. A really nice example of where truth can be stranger than fiction. A short film of that story would just be awesome.
Thank you for being the fifteenth person to post this exact thing in the past two months.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Is this a true story? I've never heard of Darwin awards so I'm unaware of them being fiction or non-fiction stories. Either way that is ****ing epic.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by kyle100
Is this a true story? I've never heard of Darwin awards so I'm unaware of them being fiction or non-fiction stories. Either way that is ****ing epic.

These stories and true and are confirmed. They are published books with collections of these types of funny deaths, and Wendy Northcutt is credited as the author of these books.

I remember that. Totally epic.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Feel free to post your favorite story of Darwinism here.

Like I said, In order to qualify for a Darwin Award, a person must remove himself from the gene pool via an "astounding misapplication of judgment."

Here are the rules: http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/

So, either take a story from the site OR a story you read or heard elsewhere.

And yes, I am bored.
Quote by Article

Quote by soundgarden1986
Yeah. Magnolia I believe.

Yes, at the beginning. That's my favorite movie. That's what made this so odd, because I just watched the movie yesterday.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
From darwinawards.com:

(February 1998) Matthew and his friends were sliding down a Mammoth Mountain ski run on a foam pad at 3am, when he crashed into a lift tower and died. His makeshift sledge of yellow foam had been stolen from the legs of a lift tower on Stump Alley. The cushion is meant to protect skiers who hit the tower, and the tower Matthew ran into was the one from which he had created his sledge. There's a moral in there somewhere.
This inspired my new band name: DLAYER!

Darwin Laughs As You Eternally Rot!
my favorite darwin award is that guy that wanted to play russian roulette. he couldn't find a revolver, so he took a pistol. he was the 1st to play, guess what happened? :p

another good one is a guy that wanted to know how a hand grenade works. he took his hammer and hit it untill it opened ^^

another.... well i'll stop now, there are too many on them :p
More stories! That was screwed up.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Demoralising women is just one of the many services we provide here at UG
Quote by Djaydjay
my favorite darwin award is that guy that wanted to play russian roulette. he couldn't find a revolver, so he took a pistol. he was the 1st to play, guess what happened? :p

another good one is a guy that wanted to know how a hand grenade works. he took his hammer and hit it untill it opened ^^

another.... well i'll stop now, there are too many on them :p

...And they are all amazing!
Quote by Article

Page 1 of 2