Heya everyone who reads this and/or posts. A friend of mine told me the if you dip your fingers in white spirit it touchens the skin on your fingertips so that it is easier to hold chords and so on. Do any of you know if this is true?

Thanks
Need a Les Paul most comfortable guitar in the world
Quote by mike.h
I thought this was going to be one of those "LOL WHITE POWER" threads. I was wrong.

Quote by Death By Guitar
If i was a racist i would ram my guitar into my balls. Neitherr a thing you will see everyday.
toughens? it will probly burn holes in your fingers!!!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
toughens? it will probly burn holes in your fingers!!!

No well he showed me and the guitar teacher reccomended it, the guy hhad lost a bit of his finger print but his skin was hard on his fingers. it wont burn throguh but i dont think it will help unless you guys know :p
Quote by mike.h
I thought this was going to be one of those "LOL WHITE POWER" threads. I was wrong.

Quote by Death By Guitar
If i was a racist i would ram my guitar into my balls. Neitherr a thing you will see everyday.
Quote by ShaunDiel
What's white spirit?

White spirit i think is a chemical used for plants. It cant be harmful because my parents said it would be ok to try.
Quote by mike.h

Quote by Death By Guitar
White spirit is a chemical agent used to clean paintbrushes.

I wouldn't recommend using it to toughen your skin, you may well end up with contact dermatitis.
Quote by Aramis
White spirit is a chemical agent used to clean paintbrushes.

I wouldn't recommend using it to toughen your skin, you may well end up with contact dermatitis.

What is contact dermititis , and WILL it toughen your skin is what i am asking ( well without sickening side effects xD)
Quote by mike.h

Quote by Death By Guitar
According to wiki, prolonged skin contact with it can cause contact dermatitis. And it's a cleaning solvent (a turpentine substitute).

EDIT: Beaten to it. And contact dermatitis is a skin disease that causes a red rash, blisters and itching on the affected area, in this case, it'll be your fingers.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
Last edited by floydian07 at Apr 13, 2008,
thanks but any advice on weather it might help?
Quote by mike.h

Quote by Death By Guitar
all i know is that its used to clean paint brushes and to make you high. If you wanted something to toughen your fingertips i recommend something like super glue.
DISTRACTION
Quote by smellofcanada
all i know is that its used to clean paint brushes and to make you high. If you wanted something to toughen your fingertips i recommend something like super glue.

Super Glue!?!?!?!? i think i'd rather get the skin disease! and in wikipedia it has no link of white spirit to the disease
Quote by mike.h

Quote by Death By Guitar
Yes it does, it says it under the Toxicity heading.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
Quote by floydian07
Yes it does, it says it under the Toxicity heading.

Is it cureable?
Quote by mike.h

Quote by Death By Guitar
It says over a long period of time im just talking in and out, let it dry a couple of times
Quote by mike.h

Quote by Death By Guitar
How about you just grow calluses?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by MakeItWitChu

Grow WAAAA?
Quote by mike.h

Quote by Death By Guitar
Well if you don't want to grow callouses something with Phenol in such as surgical spirit (you can get it from most pharmacy's) that is pretty good at toughening the skin and it wont be harmful like white spirit. It may take a few applications but it does toughen the skin.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Quote by mike.h

Quote by Death By Guitar
Quote by musicmanstinger
Well if you don't want to grow callouses something with Phenol in such as surgical spirit (you can get it from most pharmacy's) that is pretty good at toughening the skin and it wont be harmful like white spirit. It may take a few applications but it does toughen the skin.
Yeai saw it saaid eric clapton used that ill try it thanks, but i really ewant ot clear thec white spirit stuff up and get it clear first
Quote by mike.h

Quote by Death By Guitar
Quote by MakeItWitChu

+100 cool points for talking sense.

Calluses are thick parts of skin on your fingertips that grow over time when you play guitar, it's your body's way of stopping the cutting and pain you get from playing on the strings.
Quote by Slinov
+100 cool points for talking sense.

Calluses are thick parts of skin on your fingertips that grow over time when you play guitar, it's your body's way of stopping the cutting and pain you get from playing on the strings.

thanks again ill try it ,but still waiting for osmeone to come and help clear this up
Quote by mike.h

Quote by Death By Guitar
And the poblem is over a long period my skin on fingeritps hasn't naturally hardened it still hurts and like i can see in finger when press on string

Well i gtg now ill check thread later
Quote by mike.h

Quote by Death By Guitar
dude, you're a little bitch. spend more time playing guitar and less time being a little bitch.
I think vinegar or brine is meant to work for that too.
I heard that you lose the feeling in your fingertips from doing that though.
IdktbhLOL!
Quote by Death By Guitar
It cant be harmful because my parents said it would be ok to try.

Your parents want you to die.
I thought this was going to be about ghosts...

just play, they'll get stronger and you get used to it.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by killgore
dude, you're a little bitch. spend more time playing guitar and less time being a little bitch.

I spend my damn life playing big bitch!
Quote by mike.h

Quote by Death By Guitar
Play guitar more to toughen your fingers, retard.

EDIT:Who the fuck sigs themselves? Thats just stupid.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by Death By Guitar
Heya everyone who reads this and/or posts. A friend of mine told me the if you dip your fingers in white spirit it touchens the skin on your fingertips so that it is easier to hold chords and so on. Do any of you know if this is true?

Thanks

it does by drying out the skin and it just becomes whiter, rougher and firmer

not the best way to do it

best way is to play play play! then you also get better while strengthening fingers and wrists, improving muscle memory and making calluses

and true, who the HELL sigs themselves! thats a first i think!
^ +1 to huffy and davedoom, it wasn't that funny, it didn't make any sense.

and just grow the callouses, I've been playing for only 5 monts, and my tips are rockhard.

Quote by mike.h

Me too.

Damn my optimism.
how about just use thimbles??

tis a reasonable sollution i think =]
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
Quote by Death By Guitar
No well he showed me and the guitar teacher reccomended it, the guy hhad lost a bit of his finger print but his skin was hard on his fingers. it wont burn throguh but i dont think it will help unless you guys know :p

Maybe he's just a bank robber
"
Robert James PITTS - The man without fingerprints 1941, USA
In 1932, while Pitts was serving a sentence in Alcatraz prison, he formulated a plan to have the ridge system of his fingertips removed. In 1941 after he committed a burglary in Charlotte, North Carolina he went to Newark, New Jersey to visit a doctor who wanted to experiment with the alteration of fingerprints. The skin was removed from the distal phalange of each finger, down to the regenerative dermal layer, and the fingers were then sewn into incisions made on each side of Pitts chest. This was an attempt to graft chest skin onto the fingertips. However, when the fingers were removed after six weeks, only scar tissue remained although all traces of the friction ridge system had disappeared along with Pitts? sense of touch. Nearly a year later Pitts was arrested while hitchhiking in Texas during a crackdown on draft dodgers. The police were surprised to find that he had no fingerprints. The middle phalanges of his fingers were printed and subsequently compared with all persons listed as wanted by the F.B.I. Pitts was identified and became infamous as The Man Without Fingerprints. He was arrested many times after that for a variety of offences including murder. Pitts died in prison in 1976 at the age of 62 having had an active criminal record for 42 years."

do that instead then - its win win!
Quote by Death By Guitar

Did you quote yourself in your sig?

Not cool.
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!