I am buying a Peavey Valveking and I need some advice on a few things

Ive heard the speaker is trash,
any good replacements for melodic deathmetal, heavy metal, and shredding leads?
I would also be playing some classical and some melodic stuff on the cleans so dont offer something too metal ONLY
And also an overdrive pedal for as read above genres and such

I have an ibanez RG1EX2 and several pedals most of which are mentioned in my sig
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Probably a V30 or V30 clone. Get rid of the Deathmetal and get a nice overdrive. Then give me that Les Paul for being such a great help.

nive try but if you want my baby your going to have to pry it from my endlessly soloing hands

and thx for the advice on the speakers but when i seach V30 nothing pops up
got a link?
Celestion Vintage 30 isn't it?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
I know everybody recommends the Vintage 30. I will not because I tried one in my amp and did not like it!!! I like the Vintage 30 in other amps just not the Valveking. For metal, I recommend the Celestion Gt100 (hot 100). Very tight agressive low end and cleans still sound great. The thing sounded great the day I dropped it in the amp and sounds even better now. In my opinion it didn't really need break in time like the vintage 30 would. They run around $50.00 new. Wish I had a way to record it, I would put up clips. It seriously sounds very good.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by Lynchworm
I know everybody recommends the Vintage 30. I will not because I tried one in my amp and did not like it!!! I like the Vintage 30 in other amps just not the Valveking. For metal, I recommend the Celestion Gt100 (hot 100). Very tight agressive low end and cleans still sound great. The thing sounded great the day I dropped it in the amp and sounds even better now. In my opinion it didn't really need break in time like the vintage 30 would. They run around $50.00 new. Wish I had a way to record it, I would put up clips. It seriously sounds very good.

You need to give the V30 sometime it seems in the VK. At first it seemed pretty harsh to my ears but its slowly starting to improve. I also would like to record properly, but I cant. The clips I have up dont sound as good as it sounds in person.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
You need to give the V30 sometime it seems in the VK. At first it seemed pretty harsh to my ears but its slowly starting to improve. I also would like to record properly, but I cant. The clips I have up dont sound as good as it sounds in person.

I actually had the hellatone 60 (vintage 30 relabeled by avatar speakers) which are supposed to be broken in. It may have been that I just had a different sound in mind. It didn't seem harsh to me, it seemed too warm actually. I wanted to clear up the muddiness in the distortion channels and the vintage30 (hellatone 60) gave me less definition. Either way, it just wasn't for me.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Last edited by Lynchworm at Apr 13, 2008,
It's no big deal, I had a 2X12 before this amp and i was a little nervous jumping to a 1X12 but it is fine.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
I've done the opposite, and now I don't have as much clarity. Is there any way to remedy this?
Maybe in this case you could try an eq or maybe even a BBE sonic maximizer. The eq should definately not color your sound while the bbe probably would but many people feel for the better. Other than that, i'm not sure
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
burn the dusk, youll notice that all the people saying "try the vintage 30" have names like "kentucky bluesboy" or whatever. They like the V30 cos it sounds vintage. You want to play heavy metal dude, stick with the VK speakers for now and concentrate on getting your tone dialled in.

I have the VK 100 and the matching 4x12 - in my opinion, it sounds awsome with my line6 uber metal pedal running through it - i have no complaints!!

just try and find the right distortion pedal to go with it and if you REALLY REALLY REALLY have to change those speakers, TRY YOUR AMP PLUGGED INTO A CAB WITH THOSE SPEAKERS LOADED INTO IT.

I tried my vk through a framus cab loaded with v30s and it sounded PANTS - it muddied the low end, removed the top end and made ALL the mids come through too much - not good for a metal sound fella ;-)

have fun

G
Quote by Lynchworm
I actually had the hellatone 60 (vintage 30 relabeled by avatar speakers) which are supposed to be broken in. It may have been that I just had a different sound in mind. It didn't seem harsh to me, it seemed too warm actually. I wanted to clear up the muddiness in the distortion channels and the vintage30 (hellatone 60) gave me less definition. Either way, it just wasn't for me.

what he said too !!!!
If I owned a VK, I'd probably put an Eminence Swamp Thang in it. Quite a bit cheaper than a V30, and I think better for modern metal.