Page 1 of 3
What are certain features on certain basses that make you not want to buy that particular bass even though without it you would splash your cash without a doubt?

My example is a five string Fender. The fifth peg just looks so out of place.
BlahBlahBlah
the scratchplate and controls on stingray 5. makes me wanna puke.
they got it right on the stirling 5.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Usually I find gold hardware ruins a bass. Only a few basses can pull it off.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Stupid bridge design annoys me.

As do some pickup covers, and some control plates, scratchguards, and knobs and stuff.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Chrome knobs on butique basses with natural finishes. Wood knobs look so much better.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

White pickguards.

I dunno what it is about them. Most of the time they just bother me. White pearloid on the other hand is 'mazing.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Maple fretboard
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
An ibanez logo
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Owners who put stickers on them.

Owners who put stickers on them and say "don't judge me because of my stickers." To me it's like dressing as a pink flamingo and saying "how do you know I'm weird? You don't know me!"
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Owners who put stickers on them.

Owners who put stickers on them and say "don't judge me because of my stickers." To me it's like dressing as a pink flamingo and saying "how do you know I'm weird? You don't know me!"

HAHAHAHAHA, 1+
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
If I see a bass in a store and it has colored strings that is definately a turn-off. I prefer the look of regular strings. And pre-worn instruments. I saw a guitar that was manufactured to make the paint look chipped...
Quote by moffshiggits
If I see a bass in a store and it has colored strings that is definately a turn-off. I prefer the look of regular strings. And pre-worn instruments. I saw a guitar that was manufactured to make the paint look chipped...

I have never been quite able to understand the allure of a relic-ed signature guitar or bass. The fact that someone has sat in Fender's build shop painstakingly recreating every scratch, ding and wear mark a famous person put on their instrument seems slightly insane to me. About as much as someone paying thousands of dollars to buy said instrument.
Thumb/finger rests, p'up covers and stupid headstocks. I'm picky about my headstocks for some reason.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I don't like thick necks, so whenever I see a nice bass, but pick it up and realize the neck is too thick I get mad.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
Quote by anarkee
I have never been quite able to understand the allure of a relic-ed signature guitar or bass. The fact that someone has sat in Fender's build shop painstakingly recreating every scratch, ding and wear mark a famous person put on their instrument seems slightly insane to me. About as much as someone paying thousands of dollars to buy said instrument.

i agree with this 100%. a well seasoned instrument is cool, but "stressing" a perfectly good, new instrument, does not make sense to me. imo, it's like buying a new car, with dents and scratches on it, like a used car. i don't get it.
Quote by t3hrav3n
Thumb/finger rests, p'up covers and stupid headstocks. I'm picky about my headstocks for some reason.

I dont mind p'up covers, some basses it looks great on. But i cant stand basses with aged looked / relic look as posted before, gold hardeware, and $1000+ basses with tuners that look like they are cheap and flimsy. I want my tuners to look like they are high quality and worth being on the instrument.
What kinda kills me is that the relic finish is $2000 more than an NOS finish.

However, I've played some relics, and I must say, they look the part. Also, relic'd necks have a very distinct feel to them that some people have to play the instrument for 30 years to get.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Apr 13, 2008,
Stickers, shiny contours (you know, that goes all around the body and has a flashy look), pickguards on a stingray, gold stuff and ofcourse uberlarge headstocks!
Guitar: Ibanez grg 170DX
Guitar amp: Line6 Spider II 120W
Guitar accessories: Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah

Bass: Washburn Taurus T14
Bass amp: Ashdown perfect ten 10' 30w
Bass accessories: Line6 Bass POD
Last edited by Wocordie at Apr 13, 2008,
Quote by srvflood
Maple fretboard

TAKE THAT BACK

but +1 to the pickguards on 5 sting stingrays
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
The long body of a Spector, they sound amazing, but I can't stand the body. I also dislike basses that just have the neck pickup. Stickers definitely ruin it, but my first bass has a sticker on the bass to cover up bucklerash
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by anarkee

I view a relic as an accomplishment, you know that the user has experiance when he uses a relic, every ding and scratch was made throughout countless experiances the musician has encountered. This is why I absolutely despise the trend of relics that has popped up, a relic is something you cannot buy, it must be earned!
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Pete Wentz. I mean, Jesus.

Edit: DAMNIT
I thought I was clever too.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Last edited by JobyByTheNight at Apr 13, 2008,
Quote by kranoscorp
I view a relic as an accomplishment, you know that the user has experiance when he uses a relic, every ding and scratch was made throughout countless experiances the musician has encountered. This is why I absolutely despise the trend of relics that has popped up, a relic is something you cannot buy, it must be earned!

Yes, it must be earned, but if you're a collector who prefers the company of relic'd Custom Shop Fenders, this is a more visible way to make it "one of a kind." Three Surf Green relic Strats will look completely different, whereas three NOS ones won't - besides the serial number. I can understand the appeal; it just isn't for me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I complete agree Kranoscorp; and playing and paying for a relic-ed Jaco seems slightly obsessive and a bit creepy to me. I do think that Fender really pushed the envelope with the Andy Summer's tribute telecaster. A broken bridge, funky electronics not even original to the telecaster and the following relic job:

All yours for 15K USD!
Relics are all personal preference. Some people like the vintage look but either can't afford a vintage bass or don't want to wait for their own bass to get beat up. Also, new basses aren't going to age the same as older basses. Poly doesn't age like nitro and can take more of a beating. I'm not a huge fan of reliced basses but some of them look pretty cool when done correctly. Some look like utter shit though.

Bad Relic
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

dillys *cough* warwick *cough*
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Your first mistake was getting a Chinese lady to cut your hair.

Your second mistake was getting someone who doesn't speak English to cut your hair.

Your third mistake was listening to your dicklock parents.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
Relics are all personal preference. Some people like the vintage look but either can't afford a vintage bass or don't want to wait for their own bass to get beat up. Also, new basses aren't going to age the same as older basses. Poly doesn't age like nitro and can take more of a beating. I'm not a huge fan of reliced basses but some of them look pretty cool when done correctly. Some look like utter shit though.

Bad Relic

The thing is that you are SUPPOSED to wait for it to happen. Owning a relic insinuates that you have been through a lot of shit, and that your bass has experianced all of it with you.

In my eyes, buying a relic is exactly like lieing about your past.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
But something tells me that neck is easy to play on without the finish. That, or hard as hell. :?

For me, it's a crappy/gaudy inlay job, lame stickers (I HAVE seen good ones!), a talentless player, or those tiny tuners. I think one of the biggest attractions I first had to Fenders was the tuners- they look and feel like a man's bass (or a woman's), and you don't feel like it'll pop out while you're tuning.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I don't know bout you guys but the pick up covers look amazing on the right bass like this jazz bass

but colored fender head stocks look disgusting!
Quote by watchingmefall
Explain, please

i think he means the long, straight, slender, phallic limb on most warwicks
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by anarkee
I complete agree Kranoscorp; and playing and paying for a relic-ed Jaco seems slightly obsessive and a bit creepy to me. I do think that Fender really pushed the envelope with the Andy Summer's tribute telecaster. A broken bridge, funky electronics not even original to the telecaster and the following relic job:

All yours for 15K USD!

$200?!
Quote by watchingmefall
Explain, please

That, my friend is indeed a dildo.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Your first mistake was getting a Chinese lady to cut your hair.

Your second mistake was getting someone who doesn't speak English to cut your hair.

Your third mistake was listening to your dicklock parents.

Page 1 of 3