Hey UGers, what's going on? Lately I have been re-examining my practice regiment/routine/whatever and I am pretty happy with it, but there is one thing that I'm trying to figure out.

I used to practice one exercise or one piece until I got it up to speed, but with getting over a recent elbow injury that put me on an indefinite hiatus that was long enough to deteriorate my skills I am second guessing that method. At the moment I am thinking about spending the first 10-20 minutes of my practice time on each section to go over basic exercises and then use the rest of the time to work on more complicated pieces. Here is an example of what I am talking about. I will integrate it into my practice regiment. Overall would it be better to have a static practice time or something that changes in order to become proficient all-around?

I) Warmup - 15 minutes

Keep in mind all exercises would be moved to different positions and are in no way static.

II) Alternate Picking - 1 Hour

A) 2 note per string - 10 min ascending/descending

e|-------------------|
b|-------------12-15-|
g|-------12-14-------|
d|-12-14-------------|
a|-------------------|
e|-------------------|

e|-------------------|
b|-15-12-------------|
g|-------14-12-------|
d|-------------14-12-|
a|-------------------|
e|-------------------|

B) 3 note per string - 10 min ascending/descending

e|-----------------|
b|-----------------|
g|---------9-11-12-|
d|-9-10-12---------|
a|-----------------|
e|-----------------|

e|-----------------|
b|-----------------|
g|-12-11-9---------|
d|---------12-10-9-|
a|-----------------|
e|-----------------|

C) More complicated pieces that change each time for 40 minutes.

III) Sweeping/Legato - 1 hour/90 minutes

A) Legato - 30-45 minutes - Moreso I would use segments of tapping/ascending/descending/etc here.

e|-15-14-12--15-14-12--| 5 min
b|---------------------|
g|---------------------|
d|---------------------|
a|---------------------|
e|---------------------|

e|-12-14-15--12-14-15--| 5 min
b|---------------------|
g|---------------------|
d|---------------------|
a|---------------------|
e|---------------------|

Tapping
e|-------------------------------12-15-17-15-------------------------| 5 min
b|-----------------12-15-17-15---------------15-17-15-12------------|
g|-12-14-16-14--------------------------------------------14-16-14-12|
d|---------------------------------------------------------------|
a|---------------------------------------------------------------|
e|---------------------------------------------------------------|

Trills for 5 min

B) Sweeping/Tapping - 35-45 minutes

Sweeping would just be interchanged with different patterns each time I practice.

IV) Rhythm - 1 Hour/90 minutes

A) Downpicking - 30-45 minutes
B) Fast rhythm picking - 30-45

V) Off days - Theory/Jamming/Chords/Acoustic
Quote by The Minorthreat
Meh... that not really intense but its ok.

Yes, some of us have college and work.
Quote by The Minorthreat
Yeah you just said that you have no life?

Oh no you di'nt!

*waves hand*
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by The Minorthreat
Yeah you just said that you have no life?

I meant ouside of school and work. I hardly constitute school and work as a form of life as it is rather bland and is a mundane experience that I ahte repeating on a daily basis.
Quote by robsayswhat
I meant ouside of school and work. I hardly constitute school and work as a form of life as it is rather bland and is a mundane experience that I ahte repeating on a daily basis.

Yeah, I'm sure you meant that.
Quote by robsayswhat

I don't mean to derail this thread, but shouldn't you be enjoying college? I'm in Electrical Engineering, which is a lot of work, but I enjoy it.

I can also relate to not being able to play much, so when I do, I normally do all 24 permutations of the chromatic exercises, maybe some Rock Discipline or Steve Vai's 10 hour workout, and then just work on songs.

Really, as long as you play every day, it really doesn't matter what you do, as long as you keep your hands familiar with it.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by The Minorthreat
Yeah, I'm sure you meant that.

you count school as life? so if i sat around all day after school and did nothing i would still have a life??? oh and work.... wow exciting/// seriously enough sas *yes sas*
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by Krzy8
you count school as life? so if i sat around all day after school and did nothing i would still have a life??? oh and work.... wow exciting/// seriously enough sas *yes sas*

I'm saying that"I'm sure you meant that' becuase why didn't he put that in his reply but then after he adds it after I say what I say, smart-ass.

How do you know if he does even skip class? and oh yeah it is called school life which means.....Dear god it's a part of life.
Quote by The Minorthreat
I'm saying that"I'm sure you meant that' becuase why didn't he put that in his reply but then after he adds it after I say what I say, smart-ass.

How do you know if he does even skip class? and oh yeah it is called school life which means.....Dear god it's a part of life.

yeah honestly you the one being a smart ass, hassling the thread starter about minor details.

Its college, i take t he wants to not waste his money.
You should go grow up alittle then come back here and post something... go ahead and sig that if you want, might remind you to not be such a dumbass.
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Quote by Krzy8
yeah honestly you the one being a smart ass, hassling the thread starter about minor details.

Its college, i take t he wants to not waste his money.
You should go grow up alittle then come back here and post something... go ahead and sig that if you want, might remind you to not be such a dumbass.

I'm such a dumbass I'm not even going to fight with you.

I hope you feel justified by fighting over the internet.

Good day sir, I have better things to do.
Quote by The Minorthreat
I'm such a dumbass I'm not even going to fight with you.

I hope you feel justified by fighting over the internet.

Good day sir, I have better things to do.

I know you will read this maybe not say anything to it.

But after hassling the TS and then arguing with me, you kinda seem like a hypocrit. You obviously do, lurking the forums for any other mistakes that don't appease you?

Oh and yes you are a dumbass, i'm am blantly calling you out on it, normally i on't but you just seem ignorant.

Bye

Don't come again
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.