Currently, I have a Squier Standard Strat. As of recently, I have become pretty bored with the neck and middle pickups (I love the bridge because it can just scream). I was thinking about selling it and getting a new guitar, but I thought of a cheaper route a few days ago. It won't be cheap, but its cheaper than a Gibson Classic SG (with P-90's) or any other guitar that. So, here's what I was brainstorming. Putting a humbucker of some sort as the neck pickup and possibly a Seymour Duncan p-90 as the middle pickup. Granted, it will be ugly as hell, but if I can get a ton of different sounds out of it I will live. Here's where the questions start: What would be a good humbucker for a metal/hard rock sound? I woud like it to have a deep ballsy tone. I really like a punk-ish sound, basically anything that can produce a Sufferer and the Witness-esque sound (it's a Rise Against CD). I love a lot of crunch with it, but I know a lot of that is due to a pedal/amp.

Would the middle P-90 be a waste because of the bridge single coil? I love the punchy-ness of a P-90, but would $70+installation and pickguard modification justify it?

Cost isn't a major factor, but I don't want to spend an ass-load on a cheap guitar. But I would love to keep modifying this thing into a dream guitar.
I'd just go for a new guitar to be honest. It isn't worth modding a Squier, particularly not with passives anyway.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
I'd just go for a new guitar to be honest. It isn't worth modding a Squier, particularly not with passives anyway.

I would love to get an explanation. Why wouldn't it be worth it?

Have you ever had any experience with modding a guitar? Have you ever even touched a Squier? Or are you basing this off of what someone else told you?
I'm basing it off my experience that the tone of passive pickups are largely influenced by the guitar's wood. Squiers are manufactured using poor-quality woods, hence the low price.
Ergo, expensive passive pickups + Squiers are a no-go.
I've played modded Squiers and believe me, expensive pickups will be wasted in a low-end guitar.
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
acutually it depends on the squier
some are just not worthy but some, mainly VM series, are awesome
and mod a squier does worth it
even if it is a a bullet series strat
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Ichimaru
I'm basing it off my experience that the tone of passive pickups are largely influenced by the guitar's wood. Squiers are manufactured using poor-quality woods, hence the low price.
Ergo, expensive passive pickups + Squiers are a no-go.
I've played modded Squiers and believe me, expensive pickups will be wasted in a low-end guitar.

Actually If I'm not mistaken, most dean guitars are made with the same wood as Affinity Squiers. Agathis is the wood you need to look out for.
I don't even shred
Quote by Nebjy
Actually If I'm not mistaken, most dean guitars are made with the same wood as Affinity Squiers. Agathis is the wood you need to look out for.

agathis is not that bad
most people hat it but i really like my agathis bass
more than a MIM fender
the sound is in the quality of the build more than in the wood
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Nebjy

The wood might be the same but the quality tends to differ. Like some Epiphone LPs are made from the same type of wood as Gibson LPs, but if you put the same pickups in both, you aren't going to get the same tone.
Add!

Quote by marko'd

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I say mod it, Affinty strats are great for modding and the general consensus would agree on that too.
Quote by Ichimaru
Like some Epiphone LPs are made from the same type of wood as Gibson LPs.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Epiphone Les Paul use a cheaper type of Mahogany/Alder type wood.

That's what I heard from this site.
Quote by Mockingbird452
Actually, I'm pretty sure Epiphone Les Paul use a cheaper type of Mahogany/Alder type wood.

That's what I heard from this site.

That was my point.
Add!

Quote by marko'd

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
So if the wood is good, then why would it be so bad? And is there anything I can do myself to fix it?
Get a Carvin. Do it.
Quote by ferretface
So if the wood is good, then why would it be so bad? And is there anything I can do myself to fix it?

Well it tends to differ depending on various conditions like where it was grown (Climate, soil etc.), what part of the trunk the guitar was cut from (Center/ outer region) and that sort of thing. You can have 2 pieces of mahogany which are both very different from one another.
Add!

Quote by marko'd

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1