Hey Guys!

I play in a band and the 2. guitarist alway plays powerchords, because they are easier. But i play barre and I don't know which way is better!!!??? Can somebody give me also examples(tabs) for barre and powerchords???

Nick
Play whatever you want man, don't play something just because the other dude is doing it (unless it's part of the song).
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
They're 2 very different things. Do whichever fits the song best.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
sometimes barre chords sound out of place

try playing Iron Man with barre chords....it doesn't sound right.

or maybe your other guitar is just a noob.
They are both very different. Power chords are just the 2 or 3 note chords that sound great distorted. Barre chords are basically open chords moved up the neck, i'm not sure how to explain it.. but
Rock, Metal, T3h BRo0t4ls, etc.= powerchords.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Power chords for distortion, barre more for clean is what I do.
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
typically barre chords are major, minor, sus etc...they're much more specific than power chords. Power chords use the root and fifth to make the chord (thus, without using a third or flat third, they are neither major nor minor, and so always fit into a song).
Last edited by Rock God #1 at Apr 13, 2008,
Depends on you're taste and all. Sometimes i use one, sometimes the other, sometimes both.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
So we play much Green Day. But when you look videos...for example Billie Joe Armstrong plays barre chords. I'm a bit confused, cause you say that powerchords would fit better to rock and so on.
Quote by LP.Reissue
So we play much Green Day. But when you look videos...for example Billie Joe Armstrong plays barre chords. I'm a bit confused, cause you say that powerchords would fit better to rock and so on.

He might be playing a power chord but using a barre chord shape. The lead in my band does that all the time and screws me up when I try to follow him

Don't think of it in terms of "what's better", just go with whichever tone best suits the song.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
i always play barre with my treble turned down a little bit. but in my opinion, everyone can do powerchords, but when your forced to think on your feet about a 7th or a suspended or whatever, thats when you cross the line between mediocre and intermediate.. just my opinion though

my view is any kid off the street can play a powerchord.. but it takes some theory and actual knowledge of your instrument for barre. but if powerchords are your pick then do them. thats pretty much what every mainstream band does these days and hey they're mainstream.. although i consider myself better than all of em lol
Quote by clf-me-myself-a
i always play barre with my treble turned down a little bit. but in my opinion, everyone can do powerchords, but when your forced to think on your feet about a 7th or a suspended or whatever, thats when you cross the line between mediocre and intermediate.. just my opinion though

my view is any kid off the street can play a powerchord.. but it takes some theory and actual knowledge of your instrument for barre. but if powerchords are your pick then do them. thats pretty much what every mainstream band does these days and hey they're mainstream.. although i consider myself better than all of em lol

So you'd say you're better then, say Randy Rhodes, who made extensive use of powerchords?

How about Carlos Santana? He doesn't even play chords usually, just single notes in a scale.

More complex doesn't necessarily mean better. All tones a guitar can produce are valid, musical notes. It's elitist and downright concieted to think you're better then someone just because you can hold a barre chord or play a suspended or a 7th.

Just because it's "easy" doesn't make it invalid.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Last edited by Garou1911 at Apr 13, 2008,
the only massive difference you should note is that barre chords have more notes and will make it thicker

BUT

in a high gain environment this'll sound really muddy

so do what sounds better.
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by Garou1911
So you'd say you're better then, say Randy Rhodes, who made extensive use of powerchords?

How about Carlos Santana? He doesn't even play chords usually, just single notes in a scale.

More complex doesn't necessarily mean better. All tones a guitar can produce are valid, musical notes. It's elitist and downright concieted to think you're better then someone just because you can hold a barre chord or play a suspended or a 7th.

Just because it's easy doesn't make it invalid.

exactly, good call

but yeah to TS, basically both are equally valid but you'd use them in different situations
I used to think that all rock music had powerchords only.

I've discovered that barre chords can actually sound really good at low levels of crunchy distortion. Think Muse.
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Personally, I use both, like this.

e|--4--7--
B|--4--x--
G|--x--9--
D|--6--9--
A|--6--7--
E|--4--7--
They're technically powerchords, it's all just the root and the fifth. Sounds huge, and doesn't muddy up with distortion.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Apr 13, 2008,
Or similiarly if playing in drop D, use the approach Adam Jones often does:

-x-
-6-
-5-
-3-
-3-
-3-
GN'R do alot of overdrive barre chords, but it would sound out of place in other songs, so just experiment i guess
Quote by Wintersun
Or similiarly if playing in drop D, use the approach Adam Jones often does:

-x-
-6-
-5-
-3-
-3-
-3-

dude whenever i play anything in a drop tuning i make that shape. i love the fullness it gives, plus if you playing with one guitar, it makes it sound better.

as for the guy talking about billie joe playing power vs barre, its barre, because it gives a more full sound, and if you listen closely you can here the higher sound.
There are alot of ways to imply what tone your going for and what key tonality your aiming for. Try throwing in some diads that contain the root and the 3rd inside the rhythms for color.
Quote by Garou1911

Just because it's "easy" doesn't make it invalid.

i think you misunderstood me.. quite a bit really. firstly i stated all over that was my OPINION, so technically in my opinion i could be better than randy and santana, but thats a different discussion.. when i say mainstream, most everyone thinks of radio <dont go crazy if you dont think this way> now when i turn on my radio, i dont hear santana or rhodes... i would LOVE if i heard them on the radio. it would give me a new reason to listen to it opposed to cd's. but alas, when i turn on my radio i hear junky emo pop mess. i have nothing against people that do powerchords, and believe me i can admit when someone is better than me. but once again its all one man's opinion

oh btw just for the record no i dont think im better than santana/rhodes. but oneday i will be

Quote by clf-me-myself-a
i think you misunderstood me.. quite a bit really. firstly i stated all over that was my OPINION, so technically in my opinion i could be better than randy and santana, but thats a different discussion.. when i say mainstream, most everyone thinks of radio <dont go crazy if you dont think this way> now when i turn on my radio, i dont hear santana or rhodes... i would LOVE if i heard them on the radio. it would give me a new reason to listen to it opposed to cd's. but alas, when i turn on my radio i hear junky emo pop mess. i have nothing against people that do powerchords, and believe me i can admit when someone is better than me. but once again its all one man's opinion

oh btw just for the record no i dont think im better than santana/rhodes. but oneday i will be

Yes, I understand it's your opinion. I'm telling you why the other 99.9% of the world finds fault with it.

In addition, you'd sum up a guitarist's ability based on what they put on the RADIO? Even though it's NOTORIOUS for using the most watered down songs on a CD? Hell, most of the time in interviews bands talk about how the radio song that got them popular was the one they all hated/disliked more then others.

I'm just saying you won't get very far if you don't drop your high n' mighty attitude. Thats MY opinion.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911
Yes, I understand it's your opinion. I'm telling you why the other 99.9% of the world finds fault with it.

In addition, you'd sum up a guitarist's ability based on what they put on the RADIO? Even though it's NOTORIOUS for using the most watered down songs on a CD? Hell, most of the time in interviews bands talk about how the radio song that got them popular was the one they all hated/disliked more then others.

I'm just saying you won't get very far if you don't drop your high n' mighty attitude. Thats MY opinion.

And your entitled to it but i sugest you dont come off so hard on other peoples opinions. I merely stated what i thought, which if you want statistics is 99.9% of what all the posts on this entire site are. And high and mighty? ha ha did you not read my last post?? But we've gotten off topic...haven't we...