hey guys, for the past couple months i've started to get this pain in my index finger, the one i hold the strings down with. the pain is like my finger nail separating from my finger. it never is like extreme or anything, but that is the sensation and discomfort i feel after i'm done playing. it is really annoying so i have tried to understand it better and take a closer look. it seems like i press the strings at too close an area where my nail and finger meet and in a way, playing the string with this drags the skin down minorly so that there is a slight separation. i am pretty sure that is what is happening but i cannot find any help on this pain on the internet and i am not sure if it is a rare thing for a guitar player to get.

i am not sure what to do about it, or even if what i think is causing the pain actually is. has anyone heard about something like this or even experienced it themselves? i would love some help because it is really really annoying.

thanks
Same thing happened to me but went away after a week or so. I'm not really sure why it happened or what was really going on.
im new to playing and i had this, i stopped for a week and it went away, i just am careful not to squish my fingers oddly when pressing down on the frets
Yeah...you don't need to push down hard at all to play a note. Loosen up that tension
I have never had that problem but I do get cramps in my fingers now and again but I just stop playing for awhile. I do get bad wrist pains though. Maybe you should see a doc bout it. I don't know I may just be acting a bit weird. The pain we guitarists go through to play.
Quote by ezza61
yeah..if the pain comes just take a rest.

the problem is that it is not that kind of pain though. it doesnt hurt when i play, only when im done playing and start stretching out my fingers straightly. i took the past two weeks off and just started again two days ago and the pain is back so i don't think that kind of break will help either. i have also tried holding the strings differently with my index finger and the pain is still there so that didn't work. man this is so frustrating and i guess it isnt that common... i will talk to a doctor next time i go to one and hopefully he can help.

also, i don't really hold the strings down that hard, it is not that that is doing this, it is like the friction between the string and my finger which is pulling at the separation between my finger and fingernail.
CARPAL TUNNEL ZOMG!!!! jk I've never had the problem... so
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Quote by nasadm
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Super epic win. I love you now
Made siggable

Nice. now I'll be suing you.
try to hold the string with more of the finger part then the nail part of ur finger?? idk

i get a funny tingly feeling after i play a long time...it doesnt hurt it just feels kinda funny
Quote by Dardarian
Go to your doktor. UG can't give proper medical advice.

Quote by DanRev
Because it could be a serious answer. What if someone was to make a thread "A song to tell my girlfriend that I caught a nasty STD off her best friend?" We'd all be screwed then.
Quote by ucdawg12
the problem is that it is not that kind of pain though. it doesnt hurt when i play, only when im done playing and start stretching out my fingers straightly. i took the past two weeks off and just started again two days ago and the pain is back so i don't think that kind of break will help either. i have also tried holding the strings differently with my index finger and the pain is still there so that didn't work. man this is so frustrating and i guess it isnt that common... i will talk to a doctor next time i go to one and hopefully he can help.

also, i don't really hold the strings down that hard, it is not that that is doing this, it is like the friction between the string and my finger which is pulling at the separation between my finger and fingernail.

Is the finger being separated from the nail by bending the strings? Because that has happened to me a few times, and I've just taken a rest and then it came back to normal lol.