Hi, I need the tone for Master of Puppets solo. I currently have a recording of the solo in my profile, so check it out so you can see what tone I currently have. What do i need to do to make it sound more like Kirk? I have a Vox Valvetronix 30 watt. The settings are Gain 9, Treble 10, Mid 2, and bass 7, with the default reverb. How should I tweak my amp? Thanks,
Be cool.
I've heard of Kirk's tone being something like
T-7
B-7
M-2

I'm not sure though, keep experimenting.

PS: work on actually being able to play it correctly also.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by MakeItWitChu
I've heard of Kirk's tone being something like
T-7
B-7
M-2

I'm not sure though, keep experimenting.

PS: work on actually being able to play it correctly also.

what do I need to work on? I know I can't play it properly, because I just started it 3 days ago. What should I improve on?
Be cool.
work out all the notes slow and precise, then gradually build up the speed. if you can play close to that speed now, but are just learning a new solo, it will take time. there's isn't a magical wand that will help that much, just play it over and over, hundreds of times, precisely, until your hands play it perfectly without thinking. then build up the speed.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
The easiest way is to break it up into smaller sections and then perfect those all individually. That's what I did and I got it down pretty much perfect within a month. But then I stopped practicing it and totally lost it =[. Its one you have to play really often.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Everyone else pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as improving your playing of the song goes. As for the tone, just keep tweaking the amp until it sounds close. Every amp is different so there isn't a specific setting that will make it sound right on any amp. The only way to be dead on is to buy the same amp that they used when they recorded the song, which is probably not an option.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by thedude051
Am I at least close to playing the solo decently?

Actually it sounds really good. Not perfect, but then again nothings perfect. It is a LITTLE off timing at one or two spots but that's really the only thing I noticed.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
Actually it sounds really good. Not perfect, but then again nothings perfect. It is a LITTLE off timing at one or two spots but that's really the only thing I noticed.

Yes, I just realized that Its mostly where the final bends are right? Thanks for the help though man. Your advice was great, along with everyone else's. Thanks guys.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
I'd also like to know...this is done on the bridge pickup right?

Aye. Most of that song is, I think. Maybe not the clean part.