Page 1 of 2
So, has anyone played a Fender Starcaster? Does anyone here own it or know a lot about it? If so, what would you think of it as a backup guitar? I have some decent gear, and I would like this as a backup guitar as I am selling my Squier Strat, which was my original backup. Just tell me what you can about the Starcaster. Thanx, I appreciate it.
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
I own one and also used it as a backup guitar. It was okay until the fretboard got weird and tilted, other that that its alright.
Wait...are you talking about the Fender Starcaster that you can get at Target for about 80 bucks? Because if so, then don't get it. Musical instruments from large stores like that are a big no no.
the fretboard got "weird and tilted"? and that's "alrite" okay I don't know. Is it a lot better than a Squier Strat?

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
whoa. you're kidding right? it wouldn't be the worlds most famous and most purchased guitar if is was crap.
Quote by Dizeaz2112
Wait...are you talking about the Fender Starcaster that you can get at Target for about 80 bucks? Because if so, then don't get it. Musical instruments from large stores like that are a big no no.

oh. But not even as backup? Is it that bad? :S

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Quote by eloC311PRS
whoa. you're kidding right? it wouldn't be the worlds most famous and most purchased guitar if is was crap.

no mate, the Fender STARCASTER not the STRATOCASTER

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Quote by Dizeaz2112
I wouldn't use it as a backup. More like a last resort.

okay that doesn't sound too good............

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
are there no more opinions? by the looks of it the Starcaster isn't very popular.......

so just one more question then: is it better than a squier strat?

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
WHICH STARCASTER?! The new PoS or the old semi-hollow
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
do you mean the starcaster as in the cheap, department store strat guitar, or the nice hollowbody?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
the strat version of it

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
i've tried both a squire ans starcaster, hated them both, and hate strats in general, but the starcaster was marginally better than the squier, but still hated it.
hello
yeah...saw one is costco for about 100 bucks...I wouldent play that thing if you paid me man
Quote by Teen Spirit
are there no more opinions? by the looks of it the Starcaster isn't very popular.......

so just one more question then: is it better than a squier strat?

**** no.

Starcasters are garbage, like last resort, play it or I blow your head off last resort. In fact, the only real positive is you could break the **** out of it (onstage or elsewhere) and not feel the slightest twinge of remorse.

As much as I hate to say it, sigh, keep the Squier.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I like my starcaster very much. They are just set up bad and have a crappy bridge. 20 bucks for a new bridge and a half an hour to set it up, and it plays just as good, if not better than many Fenders that I have played. Just because something is cheap doesn't make it bad.

Also, it is a hit and miss with them, just like squiers.
Quote by imgooley
I like my starcaster very much. They are just set up bad and have a crappy bridge. 20 bucks for a new bridge and a half an hour to set it up, and it plays just as good, if not better than many Fenders that I have played. Just because something is cheap doesn't make it bad.

Also, it is a hit and miss with them, just like squiers.

Yes, pay a 4th of the price of the guitar few a new bridge. Twice the price of the guitar for decent pickups, and you have a playable piece of wood.
All I have to say is that I like my starcaster because its less of a hasle
than my Dean.
^so far, almost all comments were negative
so you guys are saying it wouldn't be worth it? not even for that price? 'coz they look nice on the internet(not reliable, i KNOW), and they are damn cheap for a Fender product, and if the squier strat isn't much different, I might as well buy the Starcaster as backup, rite?

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Just get the real deal. I love my strat...and it is a MiM one.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
I can't imagine it being all that much better than a squier. Why not save up and get some new pick ups for your squier?
I have a real Fender Stratocaster, I'm talking about a backup guitar here.

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Well, is getting the Starcaster going to save you money? You WILL need a new bridge. And a pick up swap is definitely what I would recommend. You are going to need to set it up too.
Quote by Dizeaz2112
Yes, pay a 4th of the price of the guitar few a new bridge. Twice the price of the guitar for decent pickups, and you have a playable piece of wood.

And still spend less than an affinity squier.
yea, but considering the originally low price of the guitar itself, swapping pickups as well as a new bridge is not going to cost me altogether too much. The Starcaster itself is sort of just a base, I can edit the sound until it's really worth it.

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
starcaster = plywood? is that what im reading on the specs?

most squiers are better. i have no idea why you would sell one cheap guitar to buy another one. just fix the one you have and save the trouble.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
where did you even get the specs? They got rid of it on the Fender website. According to Wikipedia, it is Basswood. There are some people that say it is agathis, in which case I can just drop the topic.

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Quote by jj1565
starcaster = plywood? is that what im reading on the specs?

most squiers are better. i have no idea why you would sell one cheap guitar to buy another one. just fix the one you have and save the trouble.

It's basswood. And, yes most squiers are better. I like it better than the Bullet, though, which is like the same thing.
Quote by Teen Spirit
I have a real Fender Stratocaster, I'm talking about a backup guitar here.

You'd be better off getting a squier affinity strat as a backup imo. thats what i have. i actually quite like mine. it was a B-stock because the people in the shop were careless with and didn't hang it on the wall properly and it fell down and landed on a drum kit and got scraped a bit... hehe, it was cheaper than usual.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^alrite, thanx.

With all of these opinions, I guess I'll stick to the Squier.

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
i got "hardwood" from a strarcaster seller. and yeah i saw basewood on a different site.

but i would make sure the one i bought from said the wood type.

because the POS starcaster i saw at BJs today was in no way anything better than a toy.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

the body is made of agathis
i bought one about 2 years ago and have been using it on stage and off since then. Besides changing of the strings and having to add another spring cause i use bigger gauges then 9's(i use 11's ). the guitar has never let me down and i have never had to replace anything else. The neck never got warped or out of place. It is a good guitar to customize and i reccomend it to anyone. Btw, i have the one with the 70's style headstock with maple fretboard and black body.
dude, who's it going to help?

the thread is more than a year old.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

You're downgrading if you're selling your squier strat for a starcaster.

EDIT**

Oh my Jesus. Who the hell necro bumped. -________-

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby