Ok folks, heres my problem....Ive played Back in Black, Paranoid, War Pigs, Fade to Black and similar crap until Im blue in the face...I just dont really know what direction to go from here. Take War Pigs for instance, i can play the whole song no problems until I get to the ending solo when it speeds up, I just have a mental block that wont allow me to understand how to do it even if I have the **** right in front of me. And I know 3 modes of the pentatonic scale by heart, i just dont really understand what to do with that either. I love playing guitar but im so goddamn frustrated....Any help is greatly appreciated.
The best thing to do is relax. Guitar playing should be about slow progression and relaxation, not fustration. But something to help may be jamming with a friend who is more experienced than yourself at the scales you mentioned and guitar techniques in general. That can spur you on to practise more, which in the end of the day will fix your problem, but thats easier said than done. You do actually have to put the time in, and that can be hard.
But the extra guy jamming can give you hints and ideas in which direction you should go in.
If I were you, I would write a few songs. You've learned a decent amount of material there, from other bands of course. So the next thing you should do is come up with your own original material. Riffs, solos etc.
Then learn some fancy techniques, sweeping, economy picking, more scales, Hybrid Picking, Flat picking, Bending huge notes, tapping, and so on.
But mostly, be original, that can help you relax and theres nothing or no one forcing you to be better or to play a certain track more accurately. Its just you and your riffs.
Quote by bulletproofvest
Ok folks, heres my problem....Ive played Back in Black, Paranoid, War Pigs, Fade to Black and similar crap until Im blue in the face...I just dont really know what direction to go from here. Take War Pigs for instance, i can play the whole song no problems until I get to the ending solo when it speeds up, I just have a mental block that wont allow me to understand how to do it even if I have the **** right in front of me. And I know 3 modes of the pentatonic scale by heart, i just dont really understand what to do with that either. I love playing guitar but im so goddamn frustrated....Any help is greatly appreciated.

First step is to learn the pentatonic scale properly - the sooner you shake bad habits and misinformation the better. The minor pentatonic scale is just 5 notes, namely the natural minor scale missing the 2nd and 6th notes. Paranoid, for example, is in Em, so the scale used is Em pentatonic which contains the notes E G A B D. The things you've learned are positions (there's 5 in total), not modes, and they simply indicate places where those 5 notes occur. You need to know the notes the scale contains to use it effectively, as in know when that scale can be used and also which notes to use over which chords.

As far as fast solos goes, you have to accept the fact that it takes time for your fingers to catch up with your brain. You may know exactly what you want to play in your head, and understand the tab perfectly but you've still got to train your fingers to perform the actions needed to make that sound on the guitar. You'll never learn to play something fast if you can't already play it.

That means playing things as slowly as is necessary to play them accurately and cleanly. If that means playing one note every 3 seconds then that's what you need to do. Once you've mastered something at a slow speed you can look at gradually upping the tempo over a few weeks or months...if you try to rush things you'll just screw up again.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com