Page 1 of 2
Ive been flip flopping between a Les Paul style ESP and an actual Les Paul.

My main concern is sound and playability. Both my picks look to deliver on that end. However the ESP is considerably cheaper, while the Gibson is, well...a Gibson.

I dont know what to do. If I get the Gibson, I'll be happy as hell, but feel guilty as shyt cause I spent a pretty good grip.

If I get the ESP, I'll be happy cause I'll have a crunch machine, but the quality may be lesser and of course ESP on the headstock doesnt get you chicks, but Gibson does (joke).

Here they are:

ESP

Les Paul

Please just dont say GIBSON just cause its a Gibson and the ESP is some cheap knock off. I'd appreciate mature well thought replys.

Anyone have either of these or both? I'm placing my order this Wednesday....
I'm guessing you play metal?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Don't buy a guitar because of what it says on the headstock. EVER.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
That ESP is one beautiful guitar. Don't go with the Gibson just for the name, I have played both of those guitars. Personally, I liked the slightly different body style and fret markers of the ESP.

In reality, when you're spending ~$1000.00 on a guitar it doesn't even matter that much. You should have an absolutely fantastic amp by that point, and both of those guitars would sound absolutely amazing. You're not going to run into little problems like frets not being filed properly, etc... so its up to personal choice.
Real eyes realise real lies.
IF YOU PLAY PRIMARILY METAL: then get the ESP.
IF YOU PLAY PRIMARILY BLUES/BLUES-ROCK/CLASSIC ROCK: the Gibson is the way to go.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
Quote by Ichimaru
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Don't buy a guitar because of what it says on the headstock. EVER.

I wrote:
If I get the ESP, I'll be happy cause I'll have a crunch machine, but the quality may be lesser and of course ESP on the headstock doesnt get you chicks, but Gibson does (joke).

Reading is fundamental.....

Like I said. Mature replies please.

Metal? Yeah something like that. I like a good mix of music. Some of it includes metal.
Quote by Dazed/Confused
IF YOU PLAY PRIMARILY BLUES/BLUES-ROCK/CLASSIC ROCK: the Gibson is the way to go.

thats assuming the esp has emg pickups.
For metal, i actually say the Eclipse. Looks really nice, and probably plays great and sounds great too. Probably a much, much better value than the Gibson.
My vote goes to the ESP.

I never liked the quality of Gibson, nor do I like paying over 2,000 dollars for a sub-standard guitar. You don't NEED a Gibson to make people think you're great. Now, if you want to prove to them you have more money than sense, go for it...
Quote by Axe Murderer
I wrote:

Reading is fundamental.....

Like I said. Mature replies please.

Quote by Axe Murderer
However the ESP is considerably cheaper, while the Gibson is, well...a Gibson.

Or do Gibsons no longer say Gibson on the headstock?
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Dazed/Confused

Yeah, I'll dibble and dabble in metal. Love my Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and a few others, but rock/classic and bules is my core. Sooo muuuuuch moneeeeey though....

Quote by maiden_mexico
check out the esp ec-1000s also with seymour duncans. great axe.

Yes, I've eyeballed those too for awhile now. Actually that was my first ESP pick, but I cant stand any of the colors and the binding is horrid. I figured the Eclipse is a few hundred more and I can eat that to have a guitar that isnt an eyesore to me.
IMO, ESP (actual ESPs, not LTD) > Gibson. Better quality control, better pickups, better feel...
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
if playability is your main concern, it's really all a matter of opinion. I love the ESP/LTD necks. I think they're a great balance between leads and rhythm. not too fat or skinny. just the right radius. you may not agree.

I recommend the ESP, but that's just my .02
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!

Yes, I've eyeballed those too for awhile now. Actually that was my first ESP pick, but I cant stand any of the colors and the binding is horrid. I figured the Eclipse is a few hundred more and I can eat that to have a guitar that isnt an eyesore to me.

actually theres an ec-1000 version of the esp you are looking at, same color and everything no weird neck binding, just 2 extra frets i own it and it is extremely versitile.

in the end what matters is that you need to play both and see what feels and sounds better to you.
Quote by Ichimaru
Or do Gibsons no longer say Gibson on the headstock?

That statement had nothing to do with the headstock. Its just what it says. Gibsons are more sought after, have good resale, a storied history that should reinforce the guitars quality. Not JUST cause it says Gibson.

If I was just looking for the Gibson name, I wouldnt have made this post and it would have been a done deal....
Quote by maiden_mexico
actually theres an ec-1000 version of the esp you are looking at, same color and everything no weird neck binding, just 2 extra frets i own it and it is extremely versitile.

in the end what matters is that you need to play both and see what feels and sounds better to you.

Yeah, the Vintage Black finish doesn't have that abalone binding. But if you can afford the Eclipse-II, I'd say go for that one. Nothing beats an ESP Standard, unless it's an ESP Custom.
Quote by maiden_mexico

Got a link to that sumbitch??? I swear I looked, but I kept seeing that eye searing binding.
if you like huge neck then gibson ESP is my choice though and i like those pickups better than the gibson's pickups
Also gibson has a huge price jump for the name no matter esp only has a super massive price jump when its custom shop
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by mafropetee
Yeah, the Vintage Black finish doesn't have that abalone binding. But if you can afford the Eclipse-II, I'd say go for that one. Nothing beats an ESP Standard, unless it's an ESP Custom.

Ah, there you go opening another can of worms!

I'll see what other replies trickle in, but it looks like the ESP gets the nod. I was leaning that way anyhow. Just trying to see if anyone can convincingly recommend the Gibson.
Quote by Axe Murderer
That statement had nothing to do with the headstock. Its just what it says. Gibsons are more sought after, have good resale, a storied history that should reinforce the guitars quality. Not JUST cause it says Gibson.

If I was just looking for the Gibson name, I wouldnt have made this post and it would have been a done deal....

I'm not talking about the actual headstock, more the name of the guitar, I mentioned the headstock as that's where the name is printed. Your post implied that you were drawn to the guitar because it was a Gibson. My point was that your decision shouldn't be influenced by any factors other than the actual physical guitar itself, particularly when buying on a budget.
Add!

Quote by marko'd

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Axe Murderer
Got a link to that sumbitch??? I swear I looked, but I kept seeing that eye searing binding.

Here. Just select the Vintage Black option and it will bring up a picture of it.
Quote by Axe Murderer

they're kinda hard to find nowadays they just stopped making them last year. found mine in a local music shop.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/EC1000-VHB.htm

http://www.mveducation.com/invt/47021/

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_ec1000_fm_vhb.htm?partner_id=25293
If you WANT to drop 2 grand on a Gibson go for it. I would get the ESP though.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by mafropetee
Here. Just select the Vintage Black option and it will bring up a picture of it.

Ah yeah, the vintage black. Sorry. I should have communicated that I was looking for the honey color. Ive seen the vintage without the binding, but the color of the guitar itself and the hardware didnt wow me. Thanks though!

Quote by maiden_mexico
they're kinda hard to find nowadays they just stopped making them last year. found mine in a local music shop.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/EC1000-VHB.htm

http://www.mveducation.com/invt/47021/

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_ec1000_fm_vhb.htm?partner_id=25293

YUM!! YES!!! So, one link says not available anymore, and the other two are outside the US. Do I have to pay extra shipping, duties, taxes if I go with one of these?

I really appreciate the comments. Thanks for taking the time.
ESP definatly.
If you like Blues/Rock then add me as a friend. I need to talk to some Blues/Rock Musicians and need reccomendations.
Go for the ESP with Duncans. Looks better, plays better and it's cheaper.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Go for the ESP with Duncans. Looks better, plays better and it's cheaper.

plays better?
If you like Blues/Rock then add me as a friend. I need to talk to some Blues/Rock Musicians and need reccomendations.
they are both great guitars. between the two though there arent many differences. honestly they should pretty much have the same tone. i would think the only difference between the two aside from looks, price and brand name is...

that the esps bodys and necks are thinner, whereas the les pauls body are much thicker and the necks are bigger as well.

really its personal preference
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
Gallien-Kreuger Backline 600
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
Quote by Dazed/Confused

I'm sorry... but STFU

God, I'm tired of hearing "get ESP for metal, man!" Piss off... I had an ESP Eclipse with SDs and it handled blues, classic rock, and metal better than any Gibson I've ever played.

Not to mention it's lighter, and a hell of a lot less money.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
That ESP is very pretty, I'll give you that. I know squat about them. If your buying it sight unseen (sorry if I missed that part), I would get the Paul. That IS going to be a great guitar. The Gibson will hold it's value and I can say from experience, you will cherish that Gibson and won't regret it for a minute.
I mentioned in a thread earlier that I went to G/C and tried to talk myself into the Epiphone "Slash" LP because it was $1400 cheaper than the Standard. It didn't take long for me to decide. I know that wasn't the ESP I was comparing, I'm just saying.
I have a Custom shop green curly maple and now my Slash. If you can swing it, your safe bet it the Gibby. Les Pauls have a soul, you can't explain it but there is this feeling you get when you play it.
I clicked your links, I like this one a lot. (Of course it looks like my new Slash)

Good luck man, I'm sure you will make the right choice for you.
Quote by Rounder01
plays better?

It's personal preference. Someone who plays fast will like the "faster" neck of the ESP. Someone who plays a lot of slow rhythms might prefer the thicker neck of the Gibson. I personally prefer the playability of ESP over anything else, and yes, I have played plenty of Gibsons.
gibsons overpriced
go ESP there more respectable nowadays

EDIT: ESP is anything but a cheap knockoff
" i saw these 2 girls kiss and i i got all horny and stuff"
Quote by mafropetee

i would have retorted and said that jackson was better, but we are talking about the eclipses and i actually would love to have one
Esp! Esp! Esp! Esp!
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Page 1 of 2