Alright, so i got a peavey windsor head for christmas. its definately a step up from the solid state crate i was playing, but wtf. this doesnt sound like a tube amp should sound. i guess its just naturally an extremely bright amp. this is only worsened when the master is turned up, because as it gets louder, it also gets more trebly! My main guitar is a maple necked strat, so i'm already bright enough as it is. so, what i'm asking here is what kind of mods could i do to darken the amp up a bit?
I doubt you need to touch the head - your cab is probably the issue, although an EQ pedal never did anyone any harm.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Rophl
Alright, so i got a peavey windsor head for christmas. its definately a step up from the solid state crate i was playing, but wtf. this doesnt sound like a tube amp should sound. i guess its just naturally an extremely bright amp. this is only worsened when the master is turned up, because as it gets louder, it also gets more trebly! My main guitar is a maple necked strat, so i'm already bright enough as it is. so, what i'm asking here is what kind of mods could i do to darken the amp up a bit?

The maple neck on your strat is the problem. Try boosting mids and bass while turning down the treble.
yeah. even on the neck pickup with presence 0 and treble 0 its still rather trebly when i start to turn it up. i have played it through different speakers and its definately an improvement but doesnt seem to be a solution. i've also played it with different guitars and the effect is lessened to some degree depending on the guitar but its still there
For example...I just got the VK.
I have a strat too.
People say VK is a metal amp...
I was like...WTF? this for metal?
It can't even do punk rock.
Then I found out that single- coil pickups are the problem.
so...what about this...try to play it with a guitar that has humbuckers.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
^+1 and the windsor has a "boost" switch meant for boosting mids, so try that
and you will always be trebly w/ singlecoils and u will not get distortion with 'em even if u were usin' a Mesa Rectifier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so basically, get a humbucker
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by GeorgeWFletcher
The maple neck on your strat is the problem. Try boosting mids and bass while turning down the treble.

The maple neck isn't making a blind bit of difference.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Kozlic
For example...I just got the VK.
I have a strat too.
People say VK is a metal amp...
I was like...WTF? this for metal?
It can't even do punk rock.
Then I found out that single- coil pickups are the problem.
so...what about this...try to play it with a guitar that has humbuckers.

Yea lol, I can do COB stuff without a boost. I really just use the BM inplace of the onboard gain boost. The thing with your amp getting more trebly as it gets louder - thats something that happens with all amps. The more you crank it, the mids and highs cut through, and the bass settles in.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Ok, i've played my strat through the JVM and it has great tone. i'm not looking for lots of distortion or anything like that, i just want it to sound good, you know? i'm playing a les paul junior through it right now and its obvious that the amp was built with humbuckers in mind, but its supposed to be a marshall rip off right? people play strats through marshalls all the time and sound great. what i'm saying here is i'm 100% positive its the amp. i've played all my guitars and all my friends guitars through it to no avail lol don't get me wrong, the amp sounds pretty good with the master on 3, but thats useless to me seeing how i have to compete with a jvm and a drumset in my band. i have a feeling that, since the windsor is very cheap and therefore cheaply made, i could replace some components with high quality parts and have a great amp, right? btw, im comfortable soldering, reading schems, and all that so it isnt a problem.
Quote by Rophl
Ok, i've played my strat through the JVM and it has great tone. i'm not looking for lots of distortion or anything like that, i just want it to sound good, you know? i'm playing a les paul junior through it right now and its obvious that the amp was built with humbuckers in mind, but its supposed to be a marshall rip off right? people play strats through marshalls all the time and sound great. what i'm saying here is i'm 100% positive its the amp. i've played all my guitars and all my friends guitars through it to no avail lol don't get me wrong, the amp sounds pretty good with the master on 3, but thats useless to me seeing how i have to compete with a jvm and a drumset in my band. i have a feeling that, since the windsor is very cheap and therefore cheaply made, i could replace some components with high quality parts and have a great amp, right? btw, im comfortable soldering, reading schems, and all that so it isnt a problem.

Have the speakers in your cab even broken in yet? Did you try rolling your treble down?
Did you try using your neck pickup? Dont jump to conclusions right away
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Have the speakers in your cab even broken in yet? Did you try rolling your treble down?
Did you try using your neck pickup? Dont jump to conclusions right away

Yes, yes, and yes. i play it loudly for several hours at a time each weekend since i got it so i mean the speakers must be broken in at this point right? btw im just using the windsor cab which isnt all that good ive heard but ive played it through marshall cabs and the like and its the same deal. basically my settings when i play are: pre: 3-6 bass:12 Mid:12 treb:0 Master:6-10 resonance:8-12 and presance:0 sometimes ill turn the presance up to maybe three if im playing a really dark les paul through it or something. but always theres this harshness in the top end that is really piercing and bad, i just wanna know how i get rid of it, no other amps ive played do this when turned up
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You might just have a bad amp. Go try other Windsors at the store with you guitar.

i would love to do this, but i live in this "quaint" little retirement town where old people come to die lol. the closest GC is two hours away, and theres only two music shops in town, and they dont have a windsor. i ordered mine off musiciansfriend and just kinda hoped it was good. i know, not the wisest move.
Well thats wierd. To remedy the harsher treble noises when I crank my amp all I have to do is roll the treble back and im fine.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

so nobody has any ideas of what i could do to the amp to get better tone?
Add a low-pass filter somewhere in the circuit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_pass_filter

Don't forget to discharge caps before you stick two hands in the chassis.
You wouldn't want to discharge a cap trough your heart.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
EQ pedal.
New cab.

It's NOT an amp issue.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

It's the high Mids that are your problem! On my windsor the mids are pathetic! it does have potential though. Try these settings (these work for a les paul with burstbuckers, idk about a strat): pre: 10, bass 3, mids 2, treble .5, resonance 0, presence 3. It may not be Vintage JMP quality, but it's not harsh and still has bite.
Quote by Obelix5150
It's the high Mids that are your problem! On my windsor the mids are pathetic! it does have potential though. Try these settings (these work for a les paul with burstbuckers, idk about a strat): pre: 10, bass 3, mids 2, treble .5, resonance 0, presence 3. It may not be Vintage JMP quality, but it's not harsh and still has bite.
Old thread is OLD. The ThreadStarter hasn't even logged onto UG since last summer. Chances of him reading this before it sinks in the index = poor.

Next time, send him a PM, k?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.