Hey there. I use a Crate GT412 cab + Crate BV120HB "Blue Voodoo" Tube Head, and though it has a very nice warm tone and cuts through the mix very well, it simply doesn't have enough gain for my lead parts. The distortion doesn't cut it for our style of music (Blackened Death Metal). When I plug in my Boss Metalzone II and use the amps clean channel, it doesn't cut through the mix as well as I end up fading away, even after rolling up my Mids quite a bit.

So I was wondering, any pedals or pre-amps that can amend this? I want a nice thick distortion that can enable me to play lead solos etc but at the same time cut through the mix and not sound tinny.

thx =)
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
You might want to try something like a Metal Muff as a short-term fix. In the long run, a new amp would probably be in order.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Ibanez Tubescreamer ftw!
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Probably an OD pedal used as a gain boost.
TS9, TS808, etc.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Get a new amp. With the resale value of that amp, you could pretty easily get a used 5150, Mesa, and maybe even a lower- end ENGL.
A Zakk Wylde overdrive would work i think. Or any overdrive. Should give you more gain, and maybe color your distorted tone. With the right settings and EQ setings, you should get a good tone for your style of music.
I have the same amp and I run a tube screamer on the gain channel with level all the way and drive at 0 and I get a very nice distorted tone.
mmmm I'll try the overdrive pedals mentioned.

Selling the amp is out of the question coz it isn't mine. It's the drummer's dad's amp as he funds our studio and equipment etc.

Will something like a pod xt help? Or is going digital a big no-no in this situation?
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
There's no point going digital for distortion when you have a tube amp, it kinda defeats the point...

As mentioned, an overdrive pedal will probably be your best bet
a blue voodoo isn't a metal amp, let alone black metal, so gl. but look at an od ect...
Just so you know.. you dont roll mids back to cut through the mix, you boost them.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
Just so you know.. you dont roll mids back to cut through the mix, you boost them.

Yes. I know. I thought "rolling up" will be the opposite of "rolling back", so I meant I increased my mids.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Last edited by Eternal_One at Apr 13, 2008,
Boss distortion pedals are notorious for being not so good. I would get an EHX Metal Muff.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
mmmm...

My own amp is a Hiwatt G100 112R. It does the job of getting my desired gain. But overall quality, it doesn't compare to the blue voodoo, does it?
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Quote by Eternal_One
Yes. I know. I thought "rolling up" will be the opposite of "rolling back", so I meant I increased my mids.

It doesnt really matter man.Its only up to you.Only you would know this.If you like your hiwatt and you get the tone you want use the hiwatt.The audience is going to listen to the music more than the tone usually.
Quote by Eternal_One

Oh looks I misread you then. Sorry bout that.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Boss distortion pedals are notorious for being not so good.

Codswallop. I mean really.

I'm not really sure what you mean by overall quality, black metal isn't about sweetness of tone as i'm sure you know. TheIronTrooper is absolutely right.
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
the problem might be the MT2
that pedal sucks your mids try some pedal
maybe a metalmuff or a some overdrive as boost
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400