Doing a project in which I need to demonstrate two quite unusual guitar effects that someone uses, and I've chosen Brian May.

I need two songs with different effects, and it can't be like distortion, wah-wah or chorus. It needs to be something more unusual, like flanger or phaser or stuff like that.

So if anyone got any good examples of his more unusual effects and more importantly on which songs he uses it, and I'd be forever grateful.

-DW
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Brian May didn't really use effects. I'm pretty sure all he had is a delay and a treble booster.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Brian May didn't really use effects. I'm pretty sure all he had is a delay and a treble booster.

..yeah.

Someone like Buckethead or Tom Morello would've been a better choice, tbh.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
..yeah.

Someone like Buckethead or Tom Morello would've been a better choice, tbh.

Even then, neither of them use many out-of-the-ordinary effects. I say Matt Belamy (Muse) or Adam Jones (Tool) would be the best choices out there.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
The thing is, I'm doing it all about a band, in this case Queen, and I need three examples of things found in their music.

I have vocal arrangements, different styles (from rock to swing) and lastly guitar effects.

In Keep Yourself Alive, what exactly is the effect in the beginning? And doesn't he use a phaser for the We Will Rock You solo, I could use that. Then I'd have two examples.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
The thing is, I'm doing it all about a band, in this case Queen, and I need three examples of things found in their music.

I have vocal arrangements, different styles (from rock to swing) and lastly guitar effects.

In Keep Yourself Alive, what exactly is the effect in the beginning? And doesn't he use a phaser for the We Will Rock You solo, I could use that. Then I'd have two examples.

I don't know if he used a phaser but as far as i know his pickups were wired differently in order to change the phasing of the pickups. Why don't you focus in vocal melodies and piano arrangements? Those were two of the main elements of Queen.

Quote by Roc8995
While delay is not an uncommon effect, Brian May was one of the first to use it to simulate two or three guitars playing at once- kinda like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs87GuoOvYo

That is pure genius at work!!!

Quote by Demon Wolf

Nope that's Tape Flanging.

Brian was also one of the first to use a lot of harmonies, as in Killer Queen where he has about 5 different harmonies.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
You should've done Pink Floyd or something, man. TONS of different exotic effects there....
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
If the project you are doing revolves around Queen, and you're using guitar sounds as one aspect of it, focus on the general "uniqueness" of Brain May's Playing style. Use his use of scales and harmonics, playing style and unique tones achieved by his Deacy amp, sixpence, The Red Special, etc. Because his tone is truly one of a kind and is achieved by much more than simply a pedal or two, though he did use them in his setup.
1979 Fender Telecaster
Vox Valvetronix 30w
Dunlop Wah
Digitech Flanger
Brian May Red Special Pedal
It's been two weeks guys, I'm guessing the project is over. Don't bump old threads with useless information