I've always been able compose orchestral music in my head. It comes to me as easily as walking and I can hear it whenever it takes my fancy. I've always wanted to know if this is a talent, something that few people can do, or if any old guy with some knowledge of orchestra instruments and an imagination can do it?
Anybody with an imagination can do it.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Quote by Karmaface
I've always been able compose orchestral music in my head. It comes to me as easily as walking and I can hear it whenever it takes my fancy. I've always wanted to know if this is a talent, something that few people can do, or if any old guy with some knowledge of orchestra instruments and an imagination can do it?

yes it's a talent. but is also something anybody with a knowledge of music theory and some instruments can do. problem with the latter of the two is that the music often lacks...(for lack of a better word)...feeling. the thing about just hearing it in your head is that you have to learn music theory to really be able to write it all out in a score. hope this answered what you were asking.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
almost anyone can come up with a melody in their heads, the problem is writing it down on paper. That takes a lot of musical knowledge.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
The other guitarist in the band I am in knows very little music theory. Yet he composes film/symphonic music. He tabs whatever is in his head then uses Reason or Symphonic Orchestra to map it.

Having a great ear helps a lot it would seem.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Quote by evening_crow
almost anyone can come up with a melody in their heads, the problem is writing it down on paper. That takes a lot of musical knowledge.
Yeah anyone can come up with a melody, even my father who has no musical ability whatsoever! But I mean hearing several instruments being played at once, harmony, melody, all composed instantly in your head. I wondered if anyone can do that.
Quote by Karmaface
Yeah anyone can come up with a melody, even my father who has no musical ability whatsoever! But I mean hearing several instruments being played at once, harmony, melody, all composed instantly in your head. I wondered if anyone can do that.

I can hear it

i can't write it though... in one party because my knowledge of music isn't that broad and i find it hard to write the right timings.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Just work at it. If you have think you have a talent, then pursue the paths that allow you to be able to compose this music.
Quote by Karmaface

It does take a lot of theory knowledge and awareness of other instruments to do it.

If you are truly interested start listening to orchestral music of all types and then study it like a madman.

I've done a lot of writing for orchestra.

There are a few examples in my profile.

Christmas Overture LIVE 2004

String Quartet in F LIVE 1999

Angels Medley LIVE 2005

Quote by evening_crow

+1
its not that hard, you just have to know how to do it, ie, read different clefs and know instrument ranges

i have an adobe file on orchestration, if you want it, PM me
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by ortrigger
yes it's a talent. but is also something anybody with a knowledge of music theory and some instruments can do. problem with the latter of the two is that the music often lacks...(for lack of a better word)...feeling.

There is no inherent emotion in any music. No music has "feeling".
but can you somehow notate what you're imagining?
i have a 'white guitar'
I can write a very simple peice of music that's in my head onto a score, but writing out the parts of several orchestra instruments is much much more difficult.

I've done some research today and it seems that most modern composers sit at a piano when they are writing for an orchestra. Film composers like John williams work out a melody or harmony on a piano and then write it down, instead of just writing straight from their head like (I think) Mozart did.

Shame I can't play the piano!
Mozart wrote full scores from his head in pen, but his talents are outside he realm of most mortals.

Learning to hear is one thing.
Learning to hear clearly, another.
Learning to translate this into an instrument's sounds, yet another.
Learning to write it down (much less intuitive), again, another.

Composition and arranging are pretty involved fields of study - look into some entry level textbooks if you really want to get started.
Quote by Nick_
Mozart wrote full scores from his head in pen, but his talents are outside he realm of most mortals.

Learning to hear is one thing.
Learning to hear clearly, another.
Learning to translate this into an instrument's sounds, yet another.
Learning to write it down (much less intuitive), again, another.

Composition and arranging are pretty involved fields of study - look into some entry level textbooks if you really want to get started.

simply put

+1