I would like to plug my guitar into my computer for recording and real-time playing. I don't care about software really, but I would like a fairly decent sound.

1. Should I get a TonePort, a GuitarPort, a plain ol' 1/4" to USB cord, or something else? If you recommend a TonePort, what model should I get?

2. How is the latency/delay? If I try to play in real-time, will there be a delay between my playing and what I hear on my headphones/speakers?

3. Will I need anything else?

Thanks
I think the Toneport is a good deal - the Gearbox software is pretty good and very simple.
Also consider Guitar Combos, or Amplitube 2, they both sound excellent and need no special hardware. You can use a 1/4" to 3.2mm adaptor to plug a guitar cable straight into the computer's line in, then a free program called ASIO4ALL to get the latency down to inaudible levels. My computer is seven years old, but can still get pseudo-realtime sound easily (as low as 3ms latency when there's no other programs running).
Quote by kyle62
I think the Toneport is a good deal - the Gearbox software is pretty good and very simple.
Also consider Guitar Combos, or Amplitube 2, they both sound excellent and need no special hardware. You can use a 1/4" to 3.2mm adaptor to plug a guitar cable straight into the computer's line in, then a free program called ASIO4ALL to get the latency down to inaudible levels. My computer is seven years old, but can still get pseudo-realtime sound easily (as low as 3ms latency when there's no other programs running).

I'm just interested in the hardware, as long as I could get a decent sound with it and third-party software. So should I just get an adapter?
Try Guitar FX Box 2.7. Really good program I have for effects and recording. Just gotta plug your guitar into the line in port on your computer, so all you have to buy is a cheap adapter to make your guitar cable work.

http://guitar-fxbox.com/