I was looking at some scales to learn, and noticed there are like a thousand million. Which ones are the most important ones to learn, like the ones used the most commonly or something?
most common, are eaisly the natural minor and major scales, as well as the pentatonic ones
those will give you a firm basis before expanding onto other things
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
pentatonic = blues scale but that ones important! major, minor, aeolian, usually what i use. joe satriani uses the hungarian minor try that one haha
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
Natural, minor, and major pentatonic, natural, harmonic, and melodic minor, and major. Later on you might wanna look into diminished ones...

Well, those are MY favorite ones.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by rageagainst64
pentatonic = blues scale

Not specifically. Minor Pents are used in blues, but there is a different scale that could be referred to.

I'd learn the major and minor pentatonic, and the natural minor and regular major. Maybe harmonic minor and blues scale.
Ok, so would you guys recommend learning the entire scale, or just one or two modes. Also, what key should i learn it in? I figured maybe E because i like standard tuning.
Learn the major scale. Then learn how every other scale is made from that.
Quote by SixString1989
Ok, so would you guys recommend learning the entire scale, or just one or two modes. Also, what key should i learn it in? I figured maybe E because i like standard tuning.

If you have learned a scale in one key then you basically have learned it in every key! It is just a matter of shifting the shape a number of semitones (frets). As for your first part of the question, I'm not sure what you are saying when you say "on or two modes." I think what you mean is positions, in which case I would say learn one position of the scale at a time, but learn them all eventually.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Learn the major scale. Then learn how every other scale is made from that

+1. Learn the major scale first. It is the backbone of all things theoretical.

pentatonic = blues scale

Not quite. The blues scale is the pentatonic minor but with the added b5.
Quote by rageagainst64
pentatonic = blues scale but that ones important! major, minor, aeolian, usually what i use. joe satriani uses the hungarian minor try that one haha

The minor scale and Aeolian scale are constructed the same way, that's redundant.

TS: Begin by thoroughly learning the major scale. I cannot stress this enough.