Yeah, I have posted this before.. But I really want to make sure before I blow $100 on retubing my amp.

Situation; I bought my Mesa Roadster a few months back, it was 3 and a half years old when I bought it, used on ebay. The seller said he used it lightly in his basement and never gigged with it.

I use it at practice and to gig, I usually have the master on 5, and the output on 3-4. On the 50w setting it's about right where it starts to clip and sound nice.

I have some pre-summer gigs coming up in early May and I really really don't want to blow a tube during one . How can I tell if I need to retube?! Or should I just do it.. I don't have a ton of cash though.. It's also hard because I'm saving for more gear too..

Needing advice, or thoughts. Thanks! Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Edit; If I do need to retube, I'll need to order this week in case the shipments are slow or something, and I have to install myself and I've never done it before lol.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

If your tone is suffering it's a good idea to retube. But by the sound of things your amp is doing ok. However, a spare set is always good.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I'd do it, just to be safe. Might as well get it over with, and if you're playing several gigs it's bound to blow during one of them.
I say just have the extra set of tubes. You're going to need to buy them eventually, may as well buy them now.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
If your amp is performing normally, there's no reason to believe that you need to retube. However, tubes don't usually give much warning before they go. My suggestion would be to just buy a spare set and keep them with you, so if your amp goes down you can just retube and go. It's something everyone should have anyway. Fuses, too, btw.
It's not a use having an extra, because I'm not going to bring tubes to the show.

1) I don't even know how to put them in, I'll probably be using an internet guide when I do.

2) Very limited space.

putting them in is fool proof. the tube plug into a socket and can only go in one way. basically if you can plug your amp into the wall, you can handle switching tubes.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by tr3nt
It's not a use having an extra, because I'm not going to bring tubes to the show.

1) I don't even know how to put them in, I'll probably be using an internet guide when I do.

2) Very limited space.

See if you can get your bandmates to each contribute $10 or so. After all, if your tubes crapped out on you in the middle of a gig, it'd be embarrassing for them as well.
You eventually need to change, so why not buy them now, especially if you are that concerned about them going on you.
I guess you guys are right, I'll probably order tonight or tomorrow, I'll make a thread when my drummer gets off work so we can go pick up my head. To see what I need.

Another post will probably be coming soon on what people suggest for tubing lol.

Edit; I can't ask for bandmates to donate because they are always spending on their gear lol. My drummers kit and cymbals is a crapload, he just bought a new Grestch Black Widow and a zildijian a custom crash. My second guitarist upgraded from an epi g400 to an Epi LP Custom. and my bassist spends all his money on his 8 MPG car, he has a $800 GK bass amp but it does no justice with his $100 bass -.- ..

Last edited by tr3nt at Apr 13, 2008,
Quote by elchico04
putting them in is fool proof. the tube plug into a socket and can only go in one way. basically if you can plug your amp into the wall, you can handle switching tubes.

Yeah, pretty much.
Just don't change em while they are hot if you ever have to do an emergency tube replacement. Power tubes will cause severe burns on your hands after just being used, and I'm sure hot glass is also more prone to breakage. But anyways, consult and manuals for your amplifier and be sure to use the proper tubes as recommended by the manufacturer, or knowledgeable amp people

I'd say just get that new set for a backup. Maybe try em out and see if they sound any better than the tubes you got right now, and if they do I would just go ahead and use em.
I think I'm gonna get new ones and keep the stock mesa ones for backup..

Has anyone ever ordered from tubedepot? Hows the shipping, and prices?

i have. the prices were fine. nothing really special to say about it. one cool thing is that they rate your tubes and give them a bias number so everytime you order you can ask for tubes that will put through the same amount of electricity as the old ones.

this is irrelevant to you since you use a mesa. just make sure wherever you order from to tell them what your amp is.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
go to dougstubes or eurotubes, all the guys on the mesa board rave about them. ive ordered from doug and he's a really nice guy to deal with.

but, if none of the tubes have ever been changed in 3.5 years, then you can be damn sure its going to sound a lot better with new tubes. preamp tubes generally last a long time, 10 years or more. but power tubes dont last nearly as long so even if you just change power tubes you should notice a big difference.

+1 to making sure you tell them that you have a mesa boogie amp, cause they need colder tubes so to speak.
Well Enough Alone
Just retube and keep the one you took out for backup. Also a good idea to have a backup amp. Blowing it on stage might piss a lot of people off...especially the audience.

I recommend Dougstubes. Received my package coming from NY in 3 days.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
So no need to change the 12ax7 tubes I think thats what are in there.. Eh the preamps?

or the Rectifier tubes?