I'm going to New York this summer and I'm planning to get me a Strat or some other gear. But I wonder which guitar store/music store I should go to? I doesn't seem as you like Guitar Center, Sam Ash and other similiar stores. Could anyone of you suggest a nice store on Manhattan with both used and new guitars, good service and a good selection of other equipment?
Go to 48th street. You'll find like 5000 guitar/music stores. They will be expensive, though.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Last edited by Schneiderman at Apr 13, 2008,
Oh.. Like how expensive? How much will it be for a American Standard Strat?
i bought my PRS SE in the 46 (not sure bout that) street Sam Ash in Manhattan... really cool people... plus they have the most amazing collection on PRS for sale ive ever seen... that alone is worth the visit
na... i got a nice deal with the guy at the store... guitar+hardcase+strap+cable (and a tuner i think) in about 700$

but thats just me... i dont like to buy over the interwebz
Quote by OlavF
I'm going to New York this summer and I'm planning to get me a Strat or some other gear. But I wonder which guitar store/music store I should go to? I doesn't seem as you like Guitar Center, Sam Ash and other similiar stores. Could anyone of you suggest a nice store on Manhattan with both used and new guitars, good service and a good selection of other equipment?

48th Street has Manny's and Sam Ash. They both have a good selection of stuff.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Wow, I meant 48th street. I don't know how I messed that up, I friggin work in NYC!

It's probably list price for a strat or anything else, but I doubt you can talk it down much in NYC, whereas I could probably get a 2008 Standard for $800 at the Guitar Center I go to (regular price is $1000).
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Quote by OlavF
Ok :p

But, uh, do you remember how much it was for a Strat?

I have no idea lol. You can try going on the Sam Ash website to get an idea of how much it would cost.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Quote by Schneiderman
Wow, I meant 48th street. I don't know how I messed that up, I friggin work in NYC!

It's probably list price for a strat or anything else, but I doubt you can talk it down much in NYC, whereas I could probably get a 2008 Standard for $800 at the Guitar Center I go to (regular price is $1000).

So, you think I could get a 2008 American Standard for about 800-1000$?
Are there any taxes or something?
Last edited by OlavF at Apr 13, 2008,
Well tax is like 8.5% or somewhere around there so if you paid list and they included tax it'd be like 1085. You should be able to get it at or under $1000 including tax, though. I haven't purchased anything in NYC I'm just going by the fact that there is a huge market there and a whole lot of money so I very much doubt that the shops are going to bother making big price cuts in trying to make a sale. Figure on between $800 and $1000, I'd say $900 would be a safe guess. That should include the new stackable, TSA approved case.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

the best guitar stores i know in manhattan are 30th street guitars for vintage and classic stuff, guitar center in 6th ave, and sam ash at 48th street.
http://www.guitarasylum.com/home4.htm

It's like an hour away from Manhattan, but it's got an insane stock.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Umanov is on bleeker st and horatio. Thats my personal fave after 48st custom shop.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Quote by OlavF

Why not take your guitar along, or buy one and take it? Seems silly to let that city murder you more than it already is certain to do. Maybe I'm too dense to see what you are asking.

Quote by Chorduroy
You are right. The selection is astonishing.

It's one of the only dealers in the US that I know of that stocks Caparison.

But then again, I live in Kansas.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Quote by lespaulrocks39
It's one of the only dealers in the US that I know of that stocks Caparison.

But then again, I live in Kansas.

Fo' realz, yo.

*waits for someone to mention KU's championship title*
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
people pls tell me any cool guitar shops in manhattan i wnt to buy a metal guitar of jackson esp etc. pls suggest me some shops and how far is d guitar center from manhattan??
Quote by shivam47
people pls tell me any cool guitar shops in manhattan i wnt to buy a metal guitar of jackson esp etc. pls suggest me some shops and how far is d guitar center from manhattan??

There's a Guitar Center and Sam Ash in Manhattan. Those are the best options for Jackson, ESP, Schecter, and Ibanez. There are a bunch of smaller stores but they mainly stock Gibson, Fender, and other more traditional guitars. GC has all of those brands and I think SA has all of them except Schecter. Don't expect to find great selections. They don't carry a lot and you may have to order them. They'll tell you that they can special order it for you, but it usually comes out more expensive than ordering online because you're paying tax. It also takes longer but it comes from the same warehouse. I had to do that for my RG. Don't expect NY guitar stores to be amazing unless you're looking for vintage or rare guitars.