My band played our first show last night, a battle of the bands. We got first against some bands that are honestly way better than us. We did put on a decent show, especially considering it was our first. But we really shouldn't have won. We just promoted a lot and got a lot of our friends to come out and see us play.

We won 100 bucks and had one hell of a good time. But I really don't think it was fair. anyway I've been thinking about it and I'm wondering how everyone else feels.

Who should win, the best band, or the band who brings that most people through the doors?
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Winners of that sort of thing are usually determined via crowd response or judge bias. Therefore, the crowd really liked you, or one of you blew a judge.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Obviously the better band. There is a company in my city that hosts shows as well and they base winners on the amount of tickets sold, which seems to be your case.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by The Leader
Winners of that sort of thing are usually determined via crowd response or judge bias. Therefore, the crowd really liked you, or one of you blew a judge.

entirely up to a popular vote
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
Quote by Colgate Total
The band that wins should be the band that the crowd loves more, regardless of skill.
This.
It depends. How "good" a band is is subjective, so if there were only 3 or so judges, then you might get opinions that were different from the majority of the crowd. The popularity method's flawed, but it makes a lot of sense.
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Apr 13, 2008,
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
It depends. How "good" a band is is objective, so if there were only 3 or so judges, then you might get opinions that were different from the majority of the crowd. The popularity method's flawed, but it makes a lot of sense.

I think you meant subjective.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
Quote by Mudmen190
The best band.

that's what I thought to, but I talked to one of the promoters and they made a good argument saying that who ever brings the most people in generates the most revenue and therefor should get more money for playing
Quote by brandonian

Quote by unplugtheradio
The best band doesn't always win, just the one with the most dedicated friends and fans. The music business is a very unfair place.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Yes, actually I did. Thanks.

No problem .

Quote by ifeastonbums
that's what I thought to, but I talked to one of the promoters and they made a good argument saying that who ever brings the most people in generates the most revenue and therefor should get more money for playing

Yeah, but then doesn't that turn into being all about the money?
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
Quote by SRX700
No problem .

Yeah, but then doesn't that turn into being all about the money?

The scene is all about the money to anyone who runs the shows.
it's because of your band so many more people showed and payed to go in. you made them the most money, voilà there's your prize.
Stop being so modest. Become an egotistical douche. Make us wait 10 years for your next album.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Stop being so modest. Become an egotistical douche. Make us wait 10 years for your next album.
You also have to make crap up about your ex-guitarist. And get cornrows.
So you guys are saying if Fallout Boy and i dont know, Megadeth, or some other metal band that 99% of people on this forum like, went up in a battle of the bands..

fallout boy would win?
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
Quote by benco
So you guys are saying if Fallout Boy and i dont know, Megadeth, or some other metal band that 99% of people on this forum like, went up in a battle of the bands..

fallout boy would win?

Yes. Get used to it.
Quote by benco

fallout boy would win?

In real life? Absolutely, BATB's are just popularity contests, as are most local shows.
I'm sure the judges all legitamitely voted for you.

With their penises. In your mouth.

Congrats.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by benco

fallout boy would win?

Depends on the audience. Megadeth have a wider, more loyal fanbase whereas Fallout Boy are just a phase, but are very popular at moment.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by benco

fallout boy would win?

Well, who would be in the audience? 99% of the people on this forum, or Fall Out Boy fans?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Ichimaru
Depends on the audience. Megadeth have a wider, more loyal fanbase whereas Fallout Boy are just a phase, but are very popular at moment.

Also, the Fallout Boy crowd is not as likely survive a beatdown from the Megadeth-heads.

And for once, Dave Mustaine's voice is less wimpy than his competition's.
Quote by Colgate Total
Well, who would be in the audience? 99% of the people on this forum, or Fall Out Boy fans?

if it's a local show, then probably a bunch of scene girls...
Quote by The Leader

Most definitely. I've board opped a couple BoB's, and I'll never forget the one time when, after the proceeding band didn't listen to me about setting their guitars stage volume only loud enough to get their tone and to let me take care of the rest (and subsequently sounded like ass), the head judge went up to the next band and implored them to listen to me...the only band she did that with. Surprise surprise when they won.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Also, the Fallout Boy crowd is not as likely survive a beatdown from the Megadeth-heads.

And for once, Dave Mustaine's voice is less wimpy than his competition's.

Megadeth fans would beat up 13 year old girls to win a battle of the bands.
Quote by stringmagician
Megadeth fans would beat up 13 year old girls to win a battle of the bands.

Yes. You are quite astute.
My old band came second in a local BOTB, we played stuff similar to Maiden/Megadeth and the winners played ska. The judge approached me afterwards and said we were by far the better band, we were great and all the rest of it and booked us for a few upcoming festivals which were quite big. At the end of the day though he said the most popular band always wins, regardless of 'talent' or skill.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by stringmagician
The scene is all about the money to anyone who runs the shows.

Not always, I know a guy that puts on shows for the sake of the music.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
Quote by Ichimaru

Then sue a ****load of your own fans.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by SRX700
Not always, I know a guy that puts on shows for the sake of the music.

Wish there were more of those guys, but he'd be the exception and not the rule.