Page 1 of 2
I've always wondered this, if they miss a note or chord, but quickly play something on it to hide the mistake or do you think their too pro? lol Talking about record label bands
LOL
sometimes they mess up and improvise off of it sometimes they just improvise.
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
You know youre a guitar player when you try to match the pitch of your guitar with a vacuum cleaner...

...mine's a Bb by the way...

OFFICIAL "DEAN PLAYERS UNITE" PLAYER #1
Quote by panterarulz8119
sometimes they mess up and improvise off of it sometimes they just improvise.

do you think people notice the change? Got any videos? lol I've only seen Dave M. (megadeth) throw his guitar cause. of the sound but thats really not his fault
LOL
I have seen many bands live and heard many mistakes most very minor. they may miss one not and then right back on the very next one.
Sure. All the time. Most people just don't notice or they cover them up quickly enough.

I don't care how good/practiced you are, everyone makes a mistake at some point.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
When I saw trivium Travis ****ed up the drum intro. They stopped and Heafy took the piss of him and they started again.
Everyone messes up live, everyone. If you've ever been onstage, you'd notice how hard it is to notice these mistakes.

Take it from me, messing a few notes while playing live is barely audible, but if you stop playing altogether, then you're screwed.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Jimmy Page makes alot of mistakes but his playing still sounds REALLY good live.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
yeah if you really know the song youll notice lol and the link above i heard it
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
You know youre a guitar player when you try to match the pitch of your guitar with a vacuum cleaner...

...mine's a Bb by the way...

OFFICIAL "DEAN PLAYERS UNITE" PLAYER #1
Quote by SiKh22
i couldn't hear it but i saw the main singers face go huh!? lol

Yeah, you mainly hear it at 4:45. It sounds like it goes flat, to me.

But, it's good to know that even the pro's screw up, because it shows they're human.
On the Dream Theater concert back in 2005, they made a mistake on Fatal Tragedy, i think it was Portnoy that miss a beat or something, was very noticeable, but the band manage to improvise a little and play along. If Dream Theater make mistakes, i'm sure any other band will as well.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I was too lazy to find the video, but there's one (and probably many more) of slash messing up the intro to Welcome to the Jungle when he's completely wasted on stage. Musicians are people too, they're bound to eventually mess up, some are just more prone to messing up live than others (like Kirk Hammett).
Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
Women and children first
Quote by edwardthegreat5

Take it from me, messing a few notes while playing live is barely audible, but if you stop playing altogether, then you're screwed.

+1

bands stuff up all the time..... the trick is pretending like it never happened and laughing about it later and 9 times outta 10 nobody else will notice
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
First thing I thought of was the live recording of Anthrax doing I'm the Man and halfway through they stop, and they get the audience to yell "Joey F'ed Up!"
on the contrary they make mistakes that are sometimes blatant and noticeable but concerts aren't designed for musical scrutiny and thus most people just dont care enough to notice.
Eric Clapton makes a very tiny mistake on Old Love at Hyde Park, he's just off by by a hair on one chord in the beginning but it makes me cringe every time I hear it (it's my favorite version though).

Usually live mistakes are hard to notice though, unless the artist is just sloppy in general.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I think the first thing a guitarist (or any musician for that matter) should learn is how to carry on playing when you make a mistake and not even flinch, improvise or do whatever you have to do to cover up your mistake and the crowd will be none the wiser. If you have a look of panic on your face and stop playing everyone is going to notice!
One of the COB live DVDs.

Alexi starts playing a song in the wrong tuning.

Obvious much..
I've played in jazz ensembles where "making a mistake" really doesn't relate. You either do a good interpretation of the number, or one that isn't so good. Sometimes the ideas flow, and sometimes you basically play memorized licks because nothing's coming to you.

I've also played in a pit band for a dance group, where one or more dancers is keying off every single note you play, and you are NOT permitted to make ANY mistakes. Once in dress rehearsal I missed a repeat, and dancers were actually falling down! That was the first and last time I tried to follow the charts and watch the dancers too.
Quote by El Cumanés
On the Dream Theater concert back in 2005, they made a mistake on Fatal Tragedy, i think it was Portnoy that miss a beat or something, was very noticeable, but the band manage to improvise a little and play along. If Dream Theater make mistakes, i'm sure any other band will as well.

o.O

no that's impossible

there's obviously something wrong with your ears, Dream Theater do not ever make any mistakes

ever
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Yeah haha, in the bass intro to Hammer Smashed Face in this one vid on youtube, Webster miss' a note and you can deff. here it. But he was young then.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
Quote by Waterboy799
o.O

no that's impossible

there's obviously something wrong with your ears, Dream Theater do not ever make any mistakes

ever

petrucci's impossible time signatures threw him off
Quote by PCSpeaker
One of the COB live DVDs.

Alexi starts playing a song in the wrong tuning.

Obvious much..

Hmm.. thats not going to be easy to get out of!! haha, I think just laugh about it admit you've ****ed up and start again!
i saw motley crue year or two ago.

tommy lee joined them on stage that night. first time on that tour.

they could figure out how to play home sweet home. they got thru the intro and couldnt get to the part where the drums start.
the timing was all off.

so vince was like, tommy start over. and tommy said Fuk This! and just started the drums. HAHA it was so lame and entertaining all at the same time.

same show, Aerosmith was on stage, perry's guitar cut out during an acoustic part. tyler ad libbed with a funny joke, while he got and tuned up another guitar, was funny. like we were hanging out wt them.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Everyone messes up live, everyone. If you've ever been onstage, you'd notice how hard it is to notice these mistakes.

This is 100% gold truth right here.

Never stop playing, dont go damn i messed up, just be like F Yeah i meant to do that! wasnt it badass.
I'm surprised the name Herman Li or Dragonforce hasn't showed up yet

Except the not noticing part
Quote by DardoBoy
I LOVE YOU

Member #29 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to join
Last edited by KWAL562 at Apr 13, 2008,
Quote by Waterboy799
o.O

no that's impossible

ever

petrucci screws up his sweeps all the time. which confuses me because besides his sweeps and string skipping he's usually great live.
Quote by SiKh22
I've always wondered this, if they miss a note or chord, but quickly play something on it to hide the mistake or do you think their too pro? lol Talking about record label bands

I really don't mind that. If I wanted to just hear an exact replay of what is on a cd, why not stay home and listen to the disc. The saved cash is nice too. I don't think they sweat not hitting everything note for note.

Quote by KWAL562
I'm surprised the name Herman Li or Dragonforce hasn't showed up yet

Except the not noticing part

Thanks for reminding me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMIQ1jfJm0&feature=related

Seriously, wtf.

Guitars are horridly out of tune, timing is way off, it's just pathetic.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
When i saw trivium live last year matt kinda stuffed the start of the rain solo. I mainly dont notice stuff ups tho coz im normally moshing pretty hard.
When i saw g3 tho, i was paying sh*T loads of attention to every note and they never seemed to miss one note for the whole show, spose they are good enough to cover it up :P
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Bands make mistakes.... for instance, I'm currently reading Ronnie Wood's book, and he said that there is a lot of talking and shouting done on stage. He said that sometimes Mick would turn around and shout:
"What the F*ck was that?", then Keith would shout
"It wasn't me, it was Woody!"

and for those not in the know:

1. Shame on you.

2. Its the Rolling Stones.

3. Shame on you.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Eric Johnson doesn't screw up... EVER.

Well I like mistakes. Shows a chance to see what the guy is made of. Takes balls to continue laughing at yourself.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Page 1 of 2