So I was wondering about how close tonally these are to real (fully hollow) acoustics. A lot of my band's songs (ideally) require switching from thick distortion to acoustic guitar with practically no delay. clean doesn't cut it because it doesn't have the right twang and edge; it's too smooth. And judging from the way I hate actives for their lack of sensitivity to slight nuances, I'm not exactly in a hurry to get an acoustic simulator.

I saw there was a kramer acoustic/electric doubleneck a while back, which is interesting, because I'd probably find some way to snap the top neck using my head (I mysteriously broke two of my bassists cables while we were playing and also somehow tore my strap in two pieces, each of which were held firmly by the straplocks).

This is almost a 'which guitar' thread, and might become one, but at the moment its just a 'random question' thread.
i have a 'white guitar'
Petrucci has a piezo system installed on his signature musicman guitar.
And also, I know Wes Borland has a piezo, albeit on a sevenstring (ibanez I believe it was, may be mistaken). Both sound really awesom, just stunning clean cleans, a real acoustic "string" type sound. (this is based on youtube videos, no first hand experience).
Both of these are solidbodies.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
the jp is expensive

the piezo is typically in the bridge right, so does that imply fixed only?
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by .fallen
the jp is expensive

the piezo is typically in the bridge right, so does that imply fixed only?

nope... i had a parker fly classic that i sold off a few months ago that had a tremolo on it... theyre expensive ****ers though, i sold mine for 2200 and it was an '03
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
My Dean Icon has a floating piezo bridge pickup. Nice sounding guitar, but you'd never confuse it with an acoustic. My Variax 700 on the other hand has a much nicer acoustic tone. Both are pretty expensive, but I think the Variax makes the best compromises for over all tone. Not to mention it doesn't do just an "acoustic" tone. The 12 string and dobro models actually give you a decent variety.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
the higher up steinberger synapses have piezo bridges, and they are baritone as well.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Instead of buying a new guitar altogether, you might be able to retrofit a piezo setup to your existing guitar.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
BC Rich Eagle for a few years had a Piezo factory on it, I saw one on eBay for like 500 bucks. The guitar itself looked nice, but I heard the type of piezo on it was kind of crappy.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
You could get an HSS Strat and install a Fishman Powerbridge, so you get singlecoil, bridge humbucker and acoustic, now that's pretty versatile.
i'm pretty sure some of the new epi lps have a piezo system dont they?
they probably won't be as good as a real acoustic, but i'm sure they'd give you that more 'twangy' sound as you put it
Quote by Carljenk
**** everyone who died

Quote by whatadrag
necrophiliac
Quote by minibrowny
You could get an HSS Strat and install a Fishman Powerbridge, so you get singlecoil, bridge humbucker and acoustic, now that's pretty versatile.
Yeah, that's the best way to go about it. Something like RMC piezo saddles at around $300 a set plus a preamp of choice. You'd want separate outputs or a stereo output to push magnetic and piezo signal to different amplifiers too if you want to switch between gain and acoustic with a flick of a wrist.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
thanks

it sounds like a great idea, considering i have this cheap yamaha HSH strat thats amazingly well made except for the trem (and thats only when you do something weird with it), but has zero resale, so eventually it'll get all the mods. including this one.
i have a 'white guitar'