I want to do some recording over the summer by myself in my own home.
I want to record some Howard Shore Lord of the Rings Trilogy scores
and i was wondering what computer software/hardware would be best for doing this type of recording
I'm looking to record "Concerning Hobbits" for example, which is about a seven track song with:

acoustic nylon and steel string
keyboard
12 string acoustic
and electric guitar

I dont have any recording software except for Audacity and my microphone died.

any feedback is greatly appreciated?
Last edited by mike36144 at Apr 13, 2008,
First off get a cheap USB condenser as an all-roound mic, try the Samson C01U or Blue Snowball. For software Sonar and Cubase would be my recommendations, though if you want to save money there's a free, full-featured multitracker called Reaper available. A cheap USB preamp like the Behringer UCA-202 will get your keyboard and electric guitar into the computer with the minimum of fuss.
You stick it in your computer, and the interface/microphone draws its power from the port, which means you don't need preamps or to plug in anything else. I recommend sticking it in the rear ports, as they tend to have more consistent power.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
does the mic plug into the USB preamp or do the instruments go right into it?
Mikes and often instruments can plug right into the USB preamp. There's a setting for good ones that let you plug a guitar straight in by matching the impedance.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101