Page 1 of 2
Basically what the topic says.
Whenever I need to practice, I always find myself wanting to play video games or mess around on the internet. This is why I havent played in two weeks.

At first I started out strong, now I'm losing that dedication I once had.(practice about 3hours a day)

Video Games seem to be the main distraction, so how can I fix this?
Should I just take them out altogether? Anyone else have a simular problem?

I mean I want to get good, it's just my other hobbies keep getting in the way.

Someone please help!
You can't force dedication, it has to come on it's own.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Force yourself, which is easier said than done. Budget your time. You say you used to practice 3 hr a day. Well, how about you make a deal with yourself that if you practice for an hour and a half, you can play an hour and a half of video games.
do you take guitar lessons. if not take them just so u have something to shoot for. get ur teacher to challenge you so u dont have time for video games.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
You rack discaprine! Discaprine no come from u'dders, it come from da heart!

You must discipline yourself into practicing! You have to want to play guitar over playing video games.
Or you could do what BaffAttack said and budget your time.
haha dude i'm feeling that, i sometimes go to room planning on playing guitar but xbox live wins me over. i don't sweat it, i can't go more than a day or 2 at max without needing to play again. 2 weeks is pretty bad man, i could never do that, just jam to your favourite song or something you'll enjoy
Seriously, if you really want it...you'll do it. I also have a motivation problem, always have. In most everything I do. But you say to yourself "I'm gonna do this." And you do. Setting goals and things like that helps.

I think another part of your problem is that practice has become tedious to you, so you look to more "fun" activities. Make practice fun. Find a jamming partner or something.
After not playing for awhile, is it hard to get back into the rhythm of guitar.
I stopped playing regularly (I'd pick up my guitar and noodle a couple of minutes every few months) for about 8 years. I picked it up again heavy just recently, and I'm right back in the saddle. You should be fine with two weeks of lay off.
Yeah x box live is addictive. Goodbye Halo 3, Mario Kart, Zelda.

On a more seroius note yeah my practices were more chords one hour, scales 1 hour, music theory 1 hour. I didnt really practice songs. It was strict, but I was making proggress.

Yeah I gotta stop procrastinating though. I won't get anywhere with that.
To stay more interested, should I start learning songs, or should I go with what I was doing eairlier.
The thing is, you don't have to cut out your video games. Just do both. And definitely make practice more fun. Learn a new song a week along with your chord and scale practices. The thing is, they'll start going hand in hand. And you'll be building a repertoire of songs you like.
it's either you want it or you don't. when i was going through that phase i said do i want to play guitar for the rest of my life or video games. i went through a year without playing video games and i've gotten into them again,but i stop when i know they're grabbing me by the balls.
You need to practice songs, that IS what makes guitar so much fun.

Sure you can dish out excercises and chords and theory and everything, but if you haven't worked on songs you will have no idea how to use any of that.

Usually, I will always have a goal song, and a song thats at my level. The goal song will be much harder then I'm capable of doing at the moment, but I work on it everyday. Eventually I get it.

The regular song gives me something to enjoy in the meantime, playing along with the track and such.

I also fit in theory, exercises and scales.
Quote by Ze_Metal
You need to practice songs, that IS what makes guitar so much fun.

Sure you can dish out excercises and chords and theory and everything, but if you haven't worked on songs you will have no idea how to use any of that.

Usually, I will always have a goal song, and a song thats at my level. The goal song will be much harder then I'm capable of doing at the moment, but I work on it everyday. Eventually I get it.

The regular song gives me something to enjoy in the meantime, playing along with the track and such.

I also fit in theory, exercises and scales.

Yep. I start by playing stuff that I enjoy playing, and once I'm in a "guitar mood", I'll go on to method and theory stuff. I usually start out with songs and stuff.
Saint Louis Blues
Personally, video games got in the way of my practicing too. It was no contest up until a few months ago: video games always beat out practice. But then, I decided video games were just taking too much time away from my endeavors and stuff (blame WoW), so I stopped the monthly payment and stopped playing games cold turkey. I just took video games totally out of the equation and I've been practicing a bit more lately haha
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
Quote by GoDrex
Guitar isn't for everyone.

Guitar is for anyone who wants it. If you don't want it, you wont get it.
Quote by nin3donian
Basically what the topic says.
Whenever I need to practice, I always find myself wanting to play video games or mess around on the internet. This is why I havent played in two weeks.

At first I started out strong, now I'm losing that dedication I once had.(practice about 3hours a day)

Video Games seem to be the main distraction, so how can I fix this?
Should I just take them out altogether? Anyone else have a simular problem?

I mean I want to get good, it's just my other hobbies keep getting in the way.

Someone please help!

if you create a practice schedule for yourself, you may be more likely to stay consistent

it may be a good idea to start learning simple songs just to keep you motivated
I can relate to you man. I will get really into playing guitar at times and others really into a certain video game or whatever. I used to spend the majority of my time on one or the other but wasnt good at splitting my time between the two.

What I did was as far as gaming goes I cut out the games that require you to spend alot of time with for fun. For example World Of Warcraft, Final Fantasy type games require alot of time and are addicting. So you'll spend hours leveling a character when you could have been practicing guitar. Now I try to play games that I can get in and out of quickly. Something that I could play for 30 minutes to an hour but have alot of fun doing it. Racing games, sports games, fighting games whatever just something that is easy to start, have fun, and get the hell out of lol.

I also started listening to music more to get more excited about it. If your playing XboX or whatever play an album or something instead of game music. You'll hear a song or something you'll like and you'll think "I need to learn that" and then maybe when your done playing a game you will.

Sorry so long winded lol. Just divide your time wisely!
I had about the same problem until I bought he King V. Every time I see that guitar I want to play it. It's like having a beautiful girlfriend & wanting to bang her everytime you see her
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
See the thing is, when I play video games I also have to spend money on video games.
Like for ex. If I buy the new Mario Kart which is $50, I could have gotten a couple Nirvana and Green day songbooks instead.

I can always play video game music on guitar lol.
I see what you mean Ventor.

I'm saving up to buy a Epi Les Paul this summer, so hopefully it will have the same effect on me.
find inspiration
just get some music that gets you pumped and use that energy towards playing guitar thats what has kept me practicing
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Quote by Ze_Metal
Guitar is for anyone who wants it. If you don't want it, you wont get it.

quote for truth
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Man i got my bass about a month and a bit ago, i really wanted to play bass and i didnt have much money at all so i just got a bass and thats it- No amp. My budget is very tight, and it doesnt look like ill be having an amp any time soon, and my motivation is sliding a little... I find that i really want to play late at night, just b4 i go to bed....
But i really do like playing bass (what i have so far) and id like to get good, but i have other distractions too...
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

How could you possibly think video games take priority over guitar? That's BLASPHEMY!

If you want to play video games, play video games. If you want to play guitar, play guitar. Just remember that playing guitar takes a lot of practice and patience.

An important note: If you "force" yourself to practice (and you'd rather be playing video games), It will take much longer for you to learn how to play. Once you learn to practice WILLFULY, because it's fun and it's what you want to do, then you will get much better at guitar.
Video games are the ultimate waste of time dude. It's good sometimes for instant kicks and giggles but really, they wont get you anywhere...
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
1. Practice guitar for x amount of time

2. For the last part of your practice, turn on the video game and try to learn (by ear) the music from the game.

3. Play video game for x amount of time.

4. ???

5. Profit!
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by nin3donian

Like for ex. If I buy the new Mario Kart which is $50, I could have gotten a couple Nirvana and Green day songbooks instead.

I think in this case Mario Kart is the better deal. LOL

Okay I keed.

You need to keep guitar playing fun. So along with boring practice, learn some new songs, play along with songs, improvize etc. I play along with Guitar Pro and that's incredibly fun. Actually, I wouldn't give up video games. That's sort of like punishing yourself for learning guitar. Just set a time limit on the gaming, no more than a hour a day. Then make guitar fun for yourself. These days I have a lot more fun playing the guitar than my 360. LOL
Yeah I mean I see what you guys are saying about putting Video Games in moderation, but they keep on sucking my money away. Instead of buying new guitar gear I end up buying a new game.

Like a month ago when I was really dedicated I would practice like 2-3 hours every day sometimes more when I had time.Yesterday when I practiced I had to get back into the groove of everything, but it felt really familiar so it was no problem.

My main point is, I can either be okay at video games and guitar, amazing at video games, or amazing at guitar. I want to go with amazing at guitar, even if it requires hard work and dedication. Besides in like 5 years video games won't mean much to me anyway.
Don't get us wrong, everyone loves a video game here and there. I have like 1 or 2 games that are decent, and good to pass time. After playing guitar for a while your fingers will start to hurt, well not hurt just a little uncomfortable to play. It happens, doesn't matter if you have callouses or not, its normal.

There it's a good time to play a game, go outside, exercise, anything you would do in your free time if you didn't have guitar of games.

Only time I play games is if I got over a friends house or vice versa.

As for spending money on new ones, (they're like $60 right?) That's crazy, You could buy a new tone for your guitar for that kind of money. (Meaning like an effect pedal or something)

Is it really worth it to have the game NOW When you could have it later for $40 cheaper. Just something to ponder.

By the way, you don't need to practice 3 hours a day, or even everyday. Sure the extra 2 hours a day might help a little but if you not a child who learns thing very quickly the extra 2 hours wont make a difference. However you can say "Hey maybe I'll play guitar for 30 mins, then an hour of free time, then play it again" Ect ect. It will be much better then packing it all in at once.

Sorry for the long post, goodluck.
Quote by nin3donian
My main point is, I can either be okay at video games and guitar, amazing at video games, or amazing at guitar. I want to go with amazing at guitar, even if it requires hard work and dedication. Besides in like 5 years video games won't mean much to me anyway.

There's no point in being "amazing" at video games. But they can be a fun diversion. If you dedicate yourself to playing guitar, 1 to 2 hours a day, and practice in the right way, it really doesn't matter what else you do during the day. Don't get hung up on giving this or that up, it doesn't matter. Make guitar your priority, practice it first, and when you come to a good finishing point do something else.
Quote by rhettro
I think in this case Mario Kart is the better deal. LOL

Okay I keed.

ROFL

I am too, sometimes distracted by other stuff like video games, but I just limit myself to how much I can play. I usually satisfy my "video game fix" when I play for an hour or two, so it's not hard to just turn it off afterwards.
But moneys used with video games also.
Like say I want the new Xbox 720 or whatever. I might endo up buying that over a new guitar or over new guitar gear.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Page 1 of 2