okay, so i play classical guitar which requires fingernails to pluck with. so does anyone have any tips on growing/maintaining your fingernails?
You don't need fingernails to play classical guitar. You can, but it's not necessary. You can also use your fingers.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
You don't need fingernails to play classical guitar. You can, but it's not necessary. You can also use your fingers.

+1

Segovia had rather normal length nails.
Quote by hippieboy444
segovia's the man!

Absolutely. He revolutionized the guitar, and all modern guitarists should give him their utmost respect.
Yes, but if you play around other instruments, it's better to have fingernails that are a bit longer than normal for projection. If you use just your fingertips, it sounds deadened.

Turn your hand over, palm up. I fine that if the fingernail is just over the tip, it projects but doesn't make the sound all tinny.
I've heard of some fingerpicking fanatics going to the nail salon to have acrylic nails applied. It's the closest you could ever come to gluing a pick to each of your fingers. Personally, I think that's going a bit far - getting your nails redone every few weeks would get really REALLY expensive.

As long as your own God-given fingernails are healthy, I don't see why you can't just grow those out and file them into rounded points (pick-like shapes) like my old guitar teacher did... I thought it was funny at first, but I eventually understood why. If your nails are too thin or weak to stand the abuse, then maybe you need more calcium in your diet. If your nails are naturally thin no matter how much milk you drink, try applying nail strengtheners (in the nail polish aisle at the drugstore) and matte clear nailpolish.

Whatever you do, don't bite them! That's a really good way to weaken and fray your nails. Keep your nails filed smooth. The more ragged they are, the more likely they are to snag on something and break. Not only is that painful, but it's annoying waiting for the nail to grow back out.

I guess like mix.lunar said, they don't have to be freakishly long, but I grew my nails about a couple mm past my fingertips when I played classical and it made it a lot easier to get the notes ringing out loud and clear. I've always had really strong fingernails so it was never a problem getting them to grow.
Segovia is alright. Stop deifying him.

As for nails, it's just a different mind set. You have to be concious that you have them and that you're going to have to take care of them, or else they won't sound good. That's the problem. Lots of guitarists get nails but don't take care of them, therefore they sound bad. You have to keep them clean, this meaning, they can't have any irregular sides which scratch off the string sounds like crap. You can't let them get caught on your strings because that makes you slow down and gives you an icky tone. It's trial and error, you have to find a spot that you like.