is there any way i could turn a portable radio into and amplifier, i was thinking if i just disconnected the antenna and had the guitar plug into and input where the radio signal would enter. But i imagine it is more difficult then this...any ideas or explanations on a way to do this?
I tried to do this, actually, figuring I'd do exactly what you're describing. I took it apart and couldn't figure it out. there was too many wires for the radio tuner. So I bought a cheap cassette player and it was incredibly simple. The cassette tape read head had two ground wires and one hot wire. I simply tied the grounds together and soldered them onto one pole of the input jack, and soldered the hot wire to the other. Then, of course, I had to wire up a switch and a battery clip. It wasn't difficult.

It was incredibly gainy, though, and I'm not sure how I'd fix that. Mebbe someone here has more knowledge, though.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
I tried to do this, actually, figuring I'd do exactly what you're describing. I took it apart and couldn't figure it out. there was too many wires for the radio tuner. So I bought a cheap cassette player and it was incredibly simple. The cassette tape read head had two ground wires and one hot wire. I simply tied the grounds together and soldered them onto one pole of the input jack, and soldered the hot wire to the other. Then, of course, I had to wire up a switch and a battery clip. It wasn't difficult.

It was incredibly gainy, though, and I'm not sure how I'd fix that. Mebbe someone here has more knowledge, though.

hmm i could try that, was this like a small boom box or was it like a Walkman?
it was a walkman-type cassette player. I got it for $5 from the local walgreens. I got one without a radio tuner in it, because I wanted to make sure I got one with a board small enough to fit in an Altoids can.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
another thing you can look into if you can read schematics is the little gem. I took out the guts of a clock radio and made it, its a 1/2 a watt amp.
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750713&highlight=1%2F2+watt+amp

you could make it into a headphone amp if u wanted, and the design is insanely small and simple... although the job I did was a bit messy, lol
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
another thing you can look into if you can read schematics is the little gem. I took out the guts of a clock radio and made it, its a 1/2 a watt amp.
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750713&highlight=1%2F2+watt+amp

you could make it into a headphone amp if u wanted, and the design is insanely small and simple... although the job I did was a bit messy, lol

i cant read schematics i was thinking about learning just so i could build that earlier today.
Quote by RedMoonMan
i cant read schematics i was thinking about learning just so i could build that earlier today.

its not that hard to learn and its really useful. there arent a lot of symbols you need to learn.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
I think all you'd have to do to make the cassette player less gainy is replace the trannies eith lower-gain versions. The ones in my cassette player amp ended in "C", which is the highest gain rating. "A" is the lowest.

Anyway, I ended up snapping the PCB in half, and instead of reconnecting the traces with wires, I just smashed it with a hammer...
Wouldn't adding a resistor from signal to ground lower the gain?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Lol, radios use an inductor and a variable capacitor to specify the frequency to tune into. Unfortunately putting the signal into the attenna will do u no good hahaha. But...that signal is then taken after the capacitor and inductor into an amp and out the speaker. So...you could get rid of the inductor and capacitor and just put ur guitar signal into the amp part and you'd have urself an awful sounding, though audible, guitar amp.
Gear
-Fender American Stratt
-Tube Cricket
-Homemade 20 Watt Tube (pics+clips soon)
-MXR Stereo Chorus
-Holy Grail Reverb

Theres no sensation to compare with this, suspended animation, a state of bliss...