So today, I plug in my bass, and I get this terrible hissing. I tried both of my monster cables, and this cheap cable, none fixed the hissing.

My bass is an Ibanez SRX390, it has an active EQ. So I thought maybe the 9-volt powering the EQ went out. So I open up the back part and switch out the battery with a brand new one.

Now, I get no sound at all. I opened up the other area where the wires connect the knobs n pickups n everything, but I know nothing about those. So what should I do?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
a barrel roll.

but seriously.... idk if the active eq is the problem. its obviously not the cables.... maybe the input? maybe its loose? could it possibly be the amp?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I know this is a rather stupid question, but did you put the battery in correctly?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
^I'm guessing that's the issue. Take a close look at the +ve and -ve signs on the battery and slot. I've probably changed a thousand nine volts in my short life and I still have to look and make sure I have the right sides lined up.
uhh my bass started making a loud high pitched hissing noise once. i thought it was my lead but it turned out to be my input jack really cheap to get repaired uneless covered by warranty. how long have you had the bass?
Is the input jack loose? Sometimes that can cause this problem. I'd say it's probably the battery, though.
Ok, I tried out the battery again, when I put it backwards (pos. to pos., neg. to neg. I get static through the amp, when put on correctly, I get nothing)

I've had the bass about 8 months . I've taken very good care of it, I played a few shows with this bass. It's not the amp, I played my keyboard through it fine.

Thanks for the help so far. I really need this bass to get back to working.

Edit: The input jack seems fine. There isn't any slack or wiggle.
Quote by breakdown123
Quote by Bass First
Can you spot anything wrong with the wiring? Also are you playing on carpet?

What difference does the carpet make?
Have you tried that bass through another amp, just to make sure? Try looking at a wiring diagram to see if everything checks out. Maybe you just forgot to turn the volume up (It's worth a shot).
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Check your soldered connections. If its a dull looking glob heat it up. You might want resolder everthing just to make sure. If that doesn't work you could bring it to GC and say
"Fix it" but that might cost a bit more.
Ok, it still isn't working. It's NOT the amp, I play my keyboard through it with the same cable and input. I tried other batteries. It has never been dropped, and I have $20. The soldering and all the wires look fine, I might have to go to a shop and get it fixed. I know Guitar-Center is probably the best place to go, but how much could it be to fix it? I don't want them switching out the EQ and whole setup and asking for $200...
Quote by breakdown123
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Ok, it still isn't working. It's NOT the amp, I play my keyboard through it with the same cable and input. I tried other batteries. It has never been dropped, and I have $20. The soldering and all the wires look fine, I might have to go to a shop and get it fixed. I know Guitar-Center is probably the best place to go, but how much could it be to fix it? I don't want them switching out the EQ and whole setup and asking for $200...

I had a short in my wires (and they melted together ) so I took it into my local shop and the guy there rewired it in like 3 days for like $30. If the wiring is the issue, it's rather painless to repair.
sweet dude. I was looking at the wiring... and above the volume knob, there's this wire that looks damaged, the soldering on the knob piece is pretty jagged and sharp so maybe that's it
Quote by breakdown123