At my school and I think all over the state too (Texas) we have to complete a fitness test that includes running a mile and doing a certain amount of sit-ups push-ups and pull-ups.I am not worried about it since I am in athletics and pretty much do this everyday but I feel bad for all the overweight kids that have to do this.My question is does anybody else have to do this besides the kids in Texas?
Pfft...at my school, we have to walk three miles over hot coals and shattered glass.

Naked

...on our hands.
Quote by Lord Of Donkeys
We did in elementary school. If we failed they killed us.

Luckily you passed now eh? :p

To be honest, we need more focus on physical education. Having P.E. once or twice a week in primary/elementary/middle school is not good enough IMO.

The amount of people that are obese today is ridiculous.
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan

Alvarez RD-8
Ibanez Jet King 2
Last edited by Pinkbelly at Apr 13, 2008,
Quote by Lord Of Donkeys
We did in elementary school. If we failed they killed us.

I laughed so hard.

I live in Arkansas, and we did that last year. Sounds like the exact same thing.
Member #16 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join
I don't see the point. I mean, I think being in good shape is great, but why test it at schools?
Quote by BigChief84
At my school and I think all over the state too (Texas) we have to complete a fitness test that includes running a mile and doing a certain amount of sit-ups push-ups and pull-ups.I am not worried about it since I am in athletics and pretty much do this everyday but I feel bad for all the overweight kids that have to do this.My question is does anybody else have to do this besides the kids in Texas?

yeah my school did that not too long ago (Cali ftw!) but i know what you mean theres one person who I know couldn't make any of them kinda sucked
yeah, we did that to.

honestly, whats the point of making the students take this test one day out of the year? one day doesnt change the fat kids.... fat!

just dont sell them lunch.
Probably a good idea to have some kind of dietary segment to thos classes too. Considering the crap these kids eat they have no chance. And telling them to just eat more vegetables get them nowhere.
Quote by Timothym
I don't see the point. I mean, I think being in good shape is great, but why test it at schools?

Incentive. You keep yourself in shape, you get better marks.
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan

Alvarez RD-8
Ibanez Jet King 2
Quote by Powerhouse
Pfft...at my school, we have to walk three miles over hot coals and shattered glass.

Naked

...on our hands.

Did you go to school in Guantanamo
Quote by Timothym

Thats my standpoint on it. Sure being overweight and out of shape is bad, but I don't think it's the school's business to change it. Thats for the child and the parents to decide.

But yeah, they gave us those tests. I always thought they were pretty easy. Those who failed though, mysteriously disappeared. Natural selection
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
You feel bad for the overweight kids that have to get in shape?

That's like feeling bad for the dumb/ignorant kids because they have to go to school
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Pinkbelly
Incentive. You keep yourself in shape, you get better marks.

But it's once a year. I'd forget about it the 359 days of the year. 5 of them would nerves preceding it and then the day itself. 6/365 days of trying to get in shape won't work (unless you're Jesus of course).
I heard there was one at my school, but I guess I missed it or something.

I don't like the focus on exercise in school myself. For BC, the new "Grad transition plan" requires some amount of hours a week and having a coach log the hours. If you don't like team sports, you go to the arena and for a NOMINAL fee (And for some reason I was convinced everything needed for graduation in Canada is free, being public and all) and work out there. I hit the gym at my dad's workplace 3 times a week, but since there's no supervision it doesn't count. I live in the Highlands which is a long way from anything organized I can do, plus I'm taking 3 advanced English courses, 2 maths, 2 different history classes, on top of the fact I should get myself a job sometime soon. It doesn't allow me much flexibility.

That might all sound whiny and crazy, since I also believed people were allowed to eat whatever the **** they wanted and were allowed to choose between pursuing exercise or not.
New York does it. There's shuttle runs, pull ups, sit ups, mile, ect. ect. I always did fine on the mile but I have no ab strength so that's why I fail mine >.<
Last edited by _Ixnay_ at Apr 13, 2008,
I'm pretty sure they do it anywhere in the USA. Whether your grade is based on it or not is the only real issue, sometimes you can be graded on improvement if you get tested multiple times. Mostly though it's just for research and such so we can measure just exactly how fat we are as a nation. We need the fatties so we can be truthfully represented.
Quote by Powerhouse

Naked

...on our hands.

you were lucky, i used to live in a rolled up newspaper...
Quote by Powerhouse

Naked

...on our hands.

Up hill both ways, right?
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email