Page 1 of 2
Yo sup,

Anyway I want to explain my situation. I am the lead guitar player / keyboard floor pedalist in a rock/alternative band called "Sweepcheeks." We formed about a month ago and we're going to play BOTB in my school in about three weeks.

Long story short we rock. We're covering Crazy Train, Like a Stone, and When the Leeve Breaks and we also have like two original songs which are quite good...exept for my god damn singer who I will elaborate on.

The guy is a scumbag. His voice is good but his lyrics are trash. He tries to be all Robert Planty and do all this mystical fable crap which sounds horrible. His lyrics sound something like:

"I saw the magic unicorn jump over the rainbow
Which caused my heart to skip a beat
And as the dragons from mordor came to kill me
I decided to make them say hello to Aragorn's sword..."

Oh ya I forgot he really likes LOTR. Anyway our orignals rock totally. I mean...we are wicked good. But his lyrics are trash. And his voice is annoying. He always uses falsetto and sings wicked high. Compared to him Geddy Lee is a baratone (lol exageration but you get the point). I want to shoot him or something.

What should I do? Everybody else likes the prick. How can I tell them that he is trash? Do you think I should like try to poison him or something? I don't know. I wouldn't go that far...but who knows?
Try talking to your bandmates (?)

That's what I would do. If they aren't the band you want to be in, then find a new one.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
if you dont like him, leave. do your own thing. those musicians youre with now other then the singer are not the ONLY good musicians in the world.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
You should become Power metal.

And never ever again say "Yo sup"
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Don't let him do lyrics.. give him lyrics to sing :B
Or find some other singer
Try to make some more input into the songs. When you guys are arranging something, give him direction on how you think it should sound. And maybe write some of the lyrics yourself or encourage them to be contributed to by the whole band.

In any case good luck at the show.
write your own lyrics. In my band, our new singer whats to write lyrics for us, and told her no. I don't have anyone write except me. But, I hate my entire band, so i'll be leaving soon. Write your own lyrics, my only advice.
I would say discuss it with the other band members first, see what their opinions are of him. Also, discuss it with the lead singer himself, and try to work something out that you all can agree on. If that doesn't work, and the rest of the band likes him except for you, you might wanna look for a new band, there's no point being tied down to a band that you don't enjoy playing in.
kick him out and sing lead yourself. thats what i did. and never ever say "yo sup" again.
"Now where have we seen this before?"-Ted Nugent (The Whackmaster)
"Roger Waters playing a fretless bass?(laughter)"-David Gilmour
Rub your butthole all over his face.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
Quote by lockless7x
well why does everybody else like him ?

Prolly cuz his girlfriend is smoking hot and she comes to half of the band practices.

But anyway he insists on writing the damned lyrics. Sometimes I wish he'd swallow a grenade and die! Lol I don't actually mean that. Just letting my anger out.

We are such a tight band though! I think that we have at least "The Who" or "AC/DC" potential. Maybe not "Led Zeppelin" potential yet but soon. We are really good. I know how to play most chords and all power chords and I can shred at 300 BPM 16th triplets.
Quote by CorvetteRick
I think you answered you're own question, you said you want to shoot him or something, so go ahead and shoot him... or something

Violence is not the answer, it is the question. And in this case I would love for the answer to be yes but I was hoping that UG would muster up some wisdom and help me out.
Quote by Salvorix
Prolly cuz his girlfriend is smoking hot and she comes to half of the band practices.

But anyway he insists on writing the damned lyrics. Sometimes I wish he'd swallow a grenade and die! Lol I don't actually mean that. Just letting my anger out.

We are such a tight band though! I think that we have at least "The Who" or "AC/DC" potential. Maybe not "Led Zeppelin" potential yet but soon. We are really good. I know how to play most chords and all power chords and I can shred at 300 BPM 16th triplets.

...lol?
Keep three things in mind:
1. No one listens to lyrics anymore.
2. You are in a school aged band, it will be over eventually, so enjoy it while it lasts.
3. If no one else thinks he is a prick...perhaps the problem isn't him, it's you?
Quote by CelestialChaos
...lol?

I have no clue what you are talking about.

Quote by Splaith
Keep three things in mind:
1. No one listens to lyrics anymore.
2. You are in a school aged band, it will be over eventually, so enjoy it while it lasts.
3. If no one else thinks he is a prick...perhaps the problem isn't him, it's you?

No, the problem isn't me, stupid. Why do you think I'm the only one who hates the prick? It's because our singer is dumb and his lyrics are trash. I've found better lyrics on gum wrappers and from Kayne West than I have from our singer.
Last edited by Salvorix at Apr 13, 2008,
Quote by Slaytanic6606
You should become Power metal.

And never ever again say "Yo sup"

This.

Also, tell him he's not Luca Turilli or ZP Theart or whatever.

For the record, fantasy lyrics are cool when you can:

1.) Play power metal.

2.) Have an orchestra.

3.) Be in Rhapsody.

4.) Be Luca Turilli.
Quote by CorvetteRick
Sorry dude, I didnt realize you were heavily sensitive on the subject. Just try and sit down with him and discuss, or try and be there when he's writing the lyrics and throw down some ideas of your own and other bandmate's. Make it a full on group project.

Yeah but I don't want to get too close to him.
at one point u said his voice is good.. then right after u said his voice is annoying. make up ur mind
I broke my G string
Quote by t_godin
at one point u said his voice is good.. then right after u said his voice is annoying. make up ur mind

Lyrics =/= Vocals.

Learn to type.
Quote by Salvorix

You can play 30 notes per second?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
yea, i think if anything then you are the prick, and you really need to get over yourself. stop boasting like a little child, and grow up.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by Salvorix
No, the problem isn't me, stupid. Why do you think I'm the only one who hates the prick? It's because our singer is dumb and his lyrics are trash. I've found better lyrics on gum wrappers and from Kayne West than I have from our singer.
Yah, it probably is. You may be the only one who hates him because you yourself are a prick.

If no one else hates him, find another band because the tension will probably get you kicked out eventually anyway.
Quote by Salvorix

What should I do? Everybody else likes the prick. How can I tell them that he is trash? Do you think I should like try to poison him or something? I don't know. I wouldn't go that far...but who knows?

I think the answer is right there, if everyone else likes him, you're on your own, so your choices are either to put up with him or leave.
Here's what you gotta do, You gotta blow me first.
OPTIMUS PRIME
What's wrong with fantasy lyrics and LOTR??? Seriously, who cares what he's singing as long as it sounds good. If a man can sing a song about a rainbow unicorn with a raging 3 foot long willy that attack halfings or something along those lines and do so in a beautiful performance that brings me to tears, then I have no qualm with the lyrics.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
If everybody else likes him and you complain too much you'll start to look like the problem.
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by Generalpwnt
What's wrong with fantasy lyrics and LOTR??? Seriously, who cares what he's singing as long as it sounds good. If a man can sing a song about a rainbow unicorn with a raging 3 foot long willy that attack halfings or something along those lines and do so in a beautiful performance that brings me to tears, then I have no qualm with the lyrics.

Agreed.
I think Ronnie James Dio is an exellent vocalist and I could listen to him singing with Rainbow/Sabbath/Dio all day, but if I sit down and read some of his lyrics I think, 'Whaaa?' Half of them make no sense and are simply filled with fantasy connotations. But does it make any difference to me when I listen to him sing? Hell no, because he's simply using the words and phrases as a tool for playing his own instrument, his voice.
I think unicorns jumping over rainbows is rather quite pleasant.
Quote by Trefellin

He's been in the Pit so long, he's forgotten about television. His whole life is about pears, cats, Spartans and rape. So much so that the mind control tube has lost it's powers over him. It's sad really.
We are such a tight band though! I think that we have at least "The Who" or "AC/DC" potential. Maybe not "Led Zeppelin" potential yet but soon.

I think your getting a little bit too cocky. I highy highly doubt that your that good now or ever will be.
The Who > Led Zeppelin. At least the Who wrote their own stuff.

And if you don't like his lyrics- write some of your own? Or write together as a band?

Actually, I think this thread is a trolling thread.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Quote by Hobolad
The Who > Led Zeppelin. At least the Who wrote their own stuff.

And if you don't like his lyrics- write some of your own? Or write together as a band?

Actually, I think this thread is a trolling thread.
Everyone in here seems to be trolling, except a couple of people.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Unicorns don't sound really rock n' roll.

Make someone else do the lyrics and learn to live with him.
Page 1 of 2